What's new

Sequels--the worst (1 Viewer)

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, for we who so enjoy movies, often the 2nd/ last entry in a franchise's terrible. Below I've listed from bad to worst, my sinful 7. The rating criteria I've used, is my opinion of the spread between the original, and sequel.

07.First Blood--Rambo
06.Dirty Dozen--DD Next Mission
05.Guns of Navarone--Force 10 from Navarone
04.Magnificent Seven--Guns of the 7
03.In The Heat of The Night--They Call Me Mr. Tibbs
02.Mummy, The--Mummy's Hand, The (originals from 1932/40)
01.Sting, The--Sting 2, The

Please share your lists.

Bob Engleman

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No particular order:

Saturday Night Fever -- Staying Alive
Highlander -- Highlander II/III/IV (though 4 isn't quite as big a disaster)
Porkys -- Porky 2/3 (again 2 is the worst)
Caddyshack -- CaddyII
Arthur -- Arthur 2

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Caddyshack -- Caddyshack II
The Cannonball Run -- The Cannonball Run II
Smokey and the Bandit -- Smokey and the Bandit III
Alien -- Alien 3
Planet of the Apes -- Battle, Beneath, Escape, Conquest

Diallo B

Screenwriter
not sure how any htf'er can ignore proclaiming:

lawnmower man 2

the worst sequel ever.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Have to agree with most of these:

Oceans 12 - Julia Roberts playing someone faking she is Julia Roberts??? Who thought this was a good idea?

The Sting 2 was a travesty of epic proportions.

Smokey and the Bandit 3 - Without Burt Reynolds?? Isn't it called Smokey and the Bandit? Unbelievable.

Romancing the Stone - Jewel of the Nile - Didn't get it.

Terminator - T3 - It just wasn't that good. Good effects but the story was kind of lame and it lacked the Cameron heart.

Batman - Batman and Robin - Just bad.

Die Hard - Die Hard 2 - Planes with no fuel explode into huge fireballs. Even too much for my rather generous suspension of disbelief.

I am sure there are many many more...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Caddyshack 2- Won't even see it
Any Meatball sequel
Slap Shot 2
Batman & Robin

Colton

Supporting Actor
Rocky Horror Picture Show -- Shock Treatment
Predator -- Predator 2
Day of the Dead -- Day of the Dead: Contagium
House of the Dead (Ugh!) -- House of the Dead 2 (Double Ugh!)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Definitely a strong contender for Worst Movie of All Time, let alone Worst Sequel of All Time.

Superman -- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Mortal Kombat -- Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
Jaws -- Jaws: The Revenge
Teen Wolf -- Teen Wolf Too

Usually if the director and half of the actors from the first film DO NOT return for the sequel, you know somethig is wrong.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Matrix - Matrix Reloaded followed by the even worse Matrix Revolutions.

Caddyshack - Cadyshack II

Speed - Speed II

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'd have to go for:

Alien - Alien: Resurrection (Alien3 redeemed itself with the 145m 'Assembly Cut')
Batman - Batman & Robin
First Blood - Rambo III
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut) - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Superman: The Movie - Superman IV: The Quuest for Peace (Although the alleged 130m original showing was better the rumours say?)
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope -- Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

There are others though I'm sure since I do own alot of sequels on DVD.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
To me, the worst offenders among sequels are the ones where they say "the first one worked, let's make this one bigger with more stars and more explosions and it'll make even more money" but someone forgets to write the story. Yes, I know it's hard to write a sequel because we already know so much about the characters and developing them further is difficult, but that's what makes good sequels really stand out. Perhaps what really gets me is that a bad sequel somehow also drags down the good memories about the original, when with a little thought it often could have been better. Against that backdrop here's my "who forgot to bring the story" list:

Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions
Batman Forever, Batman & Robin
Terminator 2 and 3
Oceans 12
Blade 3
Rocky 5 and no doubt the upcoming Rocky 6
Another 48 Hours
Beverly Hills Cop 2 and 3
Lethal Weapon 4
American Pie 2 and 3

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Jace_A

Second Unit
There's even going to be an Ocean's 13. Apparently Soderbergh makes these films to finance his more 'auteur' works. From what I gather, he dislikes the sequel as much as we do (he certainly directed the film as if he couldn't give a toss). Which probably means we'll be seeing an Ocean's 46.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Friday the 13th Part 3 and beyond
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
Weekend at Bernie's 2
Baby Geniuses 2
Oh God Book 2

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Any Disney direct-to-video sequel with a number in it.

Exhibitors asked Walt, "Give us more dwarves!". He stuck to his principles and never revisted the animated features.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
David -

I included Terminator 2 because I think the story didn't work. That movie was great to show off the cgi fx, which were new at the time, but that story was horrible and was not consistent with what they told us in the original. E.g., Reese: "The machines were desperate. We'd won. We smashed the time displacement equipment. No one else comes through. No one goes home." Now, we're supposed to believe a more advanced T1000 existed at that time, as well as an Arnold model that was captured and reprogrammed? I just never bought it. Whenever I watched it, all I could think about was that Arnold insisted that he be allowed to play a good guy to help his political aspirations.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the truly worst sequel is Terminator 3 simply because it just says the main theme of the first two movies (that you can change fate and make your own destiny) is wrong and that Judgment Day is inevitable. How do you have the balls to think of doing that let alone actually putting it into the movie? Alot of sequels are take the money and run affairs but even if they add nothing to the original at least they don't say that the ideas of the guy who created the story were all wrong.

Obviously, there's more poorly made sequels (any of The Howlings, Amityville Horrors, most Friday The 13ths, most Halloweens, Jaws 3, etc.) out there but at least they didn't go out of their way to shit on the original. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks