What's new

Sequels better than the original... (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Psycho II over Psycho. :D:
Actually, I found Bride of Frankenstein to be better than Frankenstein. Both are extremely great, but Bride kept all the great stuff and added even better cinematography, a great score, and better set design.
That's the ONLY sequel I find superior to the original.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I found Bride of Frankenstein to be better than Frankenstein. Both are extremely great, but Bride kept all the great stuff and added even better cinematography, a great score, and better set design.
Amen, Patrick! BRIDE is my all time favorite movie, the film that started me on my love of movies when it was aired on a Saturday Evening Horror Show in Philly back in the early seventies. What a great movie.
Some other sequels that I think are better than the original films:
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ATTACK OF THE CLONES(better than PHANTOM MENACE)
GOLDFINGER
DRACULA'S DAUGHTER
BATMAN RETURNS
WRATH OF KHAN
ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE
SUPERMAN IV:THE QUEST FOR PEACE....
just kidding about that last one!
:D

Harv

Grip
Empire strikes back
Aliens
Austin II - ditto the Fat Bastard comment
The Mummy Returns (Rachel Weisz was hotter in this one :D)
Blade II - hotter love interest (sensing a pattern here? :D )

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I really disagree about Batman Returns. IMHO, Batman is a lot better. Jack Nicholson is so good in it!

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
SW:EPISODE2 (in comparison to Episode1)
The Mummy 2
Empire Strikes Back
Toy Story2

David Dennison

Second Unit
I don't think I have ever seen a sequel that I clearly liked better than the original. There are quite a few I would put as equals (Aliens, ESB, BTTF2, Lethal Weapon 2, and some others), but there always seems to be something more magical about the first.

DanR

Supporting Actor
How about the second Indy
That's definitely controversial. I love the Indy movies, and Raiders is my favorite film of all time. Most of the people I talk to tell me Temple is their least favorite of the three. I've also defended Temple in this forum on more than one occassion. It is a great movie in its own right, in my opinion, but better than Raiders? I doubt you'll get much support for that.

And yes, Last Crusade was somewhat slapstick, but I also love that movie too. The interaction between Ford and Connery is priceless.

Regards,
Dan

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Toy Story 2
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan
Airplane II The Sequel
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (sort of a sequel to 7th Voyage)
Jurassic Park II (controversial, but I hate the first one)
Under Siege 2 (same applies)
Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD
Rugrats in Paris
Fantasia 2000 (close call)
Blade II
Evil Dead II

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
It is a great movie in its own right, in my opinion, but better than Raiders? I doubt you'll get much support for that.
I think that all three INDIANA JONES movies are great films, but for different reasons. TEMPLE OF DOOM has some of the most astounding action setpieces in history, and it's homages to the old serials and adventure films like GUNGA DIN give it a strangely nostalgic flavor. However, the characterization is somewhat weak and the story is sketchy. LAST CRUSADE has great acting and characterization, and an interesting story, but the action is lacking compared to the other two films. RAIDERS combines the best of both worlds, and is one of those rare near perfect movies.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Yeah, the difference is that Raiders of the Lost Ark was original, thrilling, well-made, unexpected, and deservedly has a spot on the AFI's Top 100 American Films list. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, while not a terrible film, has a lot of things wrong with it. It's an unbalanced, badly-acted mess that tries too hard to go over-the-top when it's not called for. Definitely not better than the original.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Babe: Pig In The City yet!

Agreed on Bride O' Frankenstein. Disagree on Aliens.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have always thought that 1978's Invasion of the Body Snatchers was far ahead of the original.
Although I love the "red scare" original as well, I just relate to the "city life/modern life deadens empathy" metaphor in the 78 version more than the fear of Communism.
I will make the same argument for John Carpenter's version of The Thing, I love the original but I love the 1982 version better.
I agree with Dawn of the Dead as well.

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator
Toy Story 2
The Lost World
The Empire Strikes Back
Attack of the Clones
Aliens
Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I cannot see why people put GF2 over the original Godfather.

While the DeNiro stuff is really interesting, the present day section just seems to re-enact the first movie but without the same 'fizz'. Godfather 1 is just a better movie overall.

Last Crusade and Empire Strikes Back may be the only sequels I consider to have out-done the originals. Raiders, while good, actually seems to have too much action for me, and on re-watching the long sequence where he chases the Ark just seems to drag...

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Indy Jones & The Last Crusade
Aliens
Terminator 2
Scream 2
Predator 2 (close)
Lethal Weapon 2
Rush Hour 2
Creepshow 2
Jason Goes To Hell: THe Final Friday
Nightmare On Elm Street 3
A Better Tomorrow 2
Die Hard 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks