What's new

September 1 Music 'special event' discussion (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Hmm, I thought the most interesting thing of the event was printing coming to the iOS devices, or at least the iPad.

For me, the $ .99 TV show rentals might be a nice way to catch an episode that was missed or try out something new. However, for watching entire seasons it doesn't make much sense. They are in HD, well 720P super compressed HD, but it wouldn't cost that much more to buy to entire season in SD on iTunes. Plus, what happens if you have more than one person that wants to watch the show and at different times? Personally, I would take the reduced quality SD version and pay a little more to own rather than rent the HD version. Or maybe just head over to Amazon to buy the episode for $.99.

Another feature apparently missing is the ability to start watching something on the ATV and finish watching it on a portable iOS device. Steve demo'd streaming from a iOS device to the ATV but I would think starting on the ATV and finishing on the portable device would be at least as popular/important.

As a value proposition, a Roku box just seems like a better way to go.

-Keith

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
[/url]

Carlo, you already know my feelings on your issue. Just go for it and be reasonable, do it Steves way ;)[/quote]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr

By the end of this year I hope to have an OTA HD antenna on the roof and dump my existing paid television service.

Not Apple related, but: Add a TivoHD to the mix (or Premiere, I guess) and life with "just" OTA HD is quite pleasant :) And not to dissuade you from an aTV, but Tivo does Netflix.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Originally Posted by DaveF

Not Apple related, but: Add a TivoHD to the mix (or Premiere, I guess) and life with "just" OTA HD is quite pleasant :) And not to dissuade you from an aTV, but Tivo does Netflix.

Ha...I already have a TiVo HD. I've been thinking of selling it because it's been grossly underutilized ever since I got Uverse.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I suggest keeping it until you make the switch to OTA-only to see if it's more useful. It's a perfect match for our TV interests, and $20 on Tivo is much better than $70 on cable. But your AppleTV might make it moot.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Originally Posted by DaveF

I suggest keeping it until you make the switch to OTA-only to see if it's more useful. It's a perfect match for our TV interests, and $20 on Tivo is much better than $70 on cable. But your AppleTV might make it moot.

Actually $0 on TiVo Dave, since I have lifetime service on it. What makes it cheap to operate for me makes it very desirable to someone looking for a TiVo HD. I'll hang onto it for now. I had hooked up the equivalent of HD rabbit ears to it a few months ago and was surprised at the quality. Too many stations won't come in though. Once I have a dedicated antenna up top, I think I'll be much more pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks