What's new

Seperate processor, opinions..... (1 Viewer)

Thomas S

Auditioning
Hello everyone! I am new to this and would love some input. My system is a 5.1 Yamaha 795a reciever with DD and DTS. I use it to power a NAD 2600A power amp (150 wpc) for my two rear channels and I recently picked up an awesome Bryston 6B SST power amp (300 wpc) to power my front three channels. The new amp is really clean and even with my dated Polks things sound better even at lower levels. Now my new dilemma is to upgrade my processor. Looking to get a processor only as my amps power everything. What do people like in the $1000. to $1800. price range and what level of digital to analog conversion will that get me as I am quite certain my Yamaha could be better. Thanks to all for their input.

"Loud is beautiful if it is clean."

"Beauty is in the details."

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Currently on Audiogon: Meridian 565 7.1 Preamp/Processor for $1250; Unit is equipped with Dolby Digital, DTS, THX, Pro-Logic, Trifield and many more surround modes

THAT would do justice to a Bryston amp

Many other Meridian units in that range: older, but still DD/DTS/other modes.

A bit more money gets you more surround formats.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
B&K Reference 50 S2 can be had pretty close to that price point. Retail is around $2400 but street is much less.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would say that if you are lucky, and you don't mind buying used, the Anthem AVM-20 is the way to go. They average about $2k on the used market, and that is with the v2 upgrade (which is crucial). If you are looking at new products, the B&K is probably your best bet, although the Rotel 1068, Sherwood-Newcastle P-965, Nad T-163, or a mid-fi receiver could also suit your needs. But I highly recommend the Anthem, for construction, sound quality, and upgradeability.

Trevor L

Auditioning
Many good choices there, but I have recently purchased the Cary Audio Cinema 6. I teamed it up with the well reviewed Cinema 5 x 200 amp. It does not have as many bells and whitsles, but in that price range (approx. $2000- $2500 Cdn new)it was IMHO the most musical.

It depends on your priorities.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Don't forget Lexicon, you can buy a DC-2 or MC-1..and certainly better than the above mentioned Rotel.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
John what makes the DC-2 or MC1 better then the Rotel? The Lex's both lack multi channel inputs and are average at best for music reproduction. I won't argue about their HT abilities as they were the standard...but they are also older models (esp the DC2) and lack things like PLIIx (though logic 7 essential does the same thing)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Sound quality, easy of use, configurability, Logic 7 & processing..but as you said lacks multi-channel input, component switching.

I've had a Rotel av pre-amp. Suffice to say I'll never buy another Rotel av or stereo pre-amp. They aren't that great for music either. Their poweramps are good though.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Thomas,
In that price range your choices are:
Rotel 1068
Sherwood p965
Adcom 880 and 860II
Outlaw 950
Integra DTC 9.4
Audio Refinment pre3(?)
For a little more, the afore mentioned Cary and B&K models.

Plus the "you never know what your getting" used market.

Everybody is gonna have their favorite, which will go on and on and there is no point arguing about. For this amount of money you owe it to yourself to find what's best for you.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"Plus the "you never know what your getting" used market."

I can see maybe being concerned about speakers ... but what in the world can you do to abuse a pre/pro?

You can always buy trade-ins/demos from dealers, who are more likely to stand behind their goods.

Meridian beats the crap out of anything else listed there. These are prepros that sell new for $5000 +.

We're talking about pairing this with a Bryston amp, for crying out loud. An Outlaw? Puhlease.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Calm down E. He asked what's out there in the 1000-1800 range so I gave him options for new. Not opinions.
I am sorry, I don't have the classifieds for everything audio in the world.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I'm very calm Chris. I've already had my medication today.

But hey, appreciate the patronizing attitude ... that oh-so-endearing 'let's suggest the woman is hysterical' tone.

Sorry, but I think "you never know what your getting used market" is indicative of your opinion.

If they guy wants a list of what's available at a given price range, it's not real hard to find that out.

Most people come here for opinions based on first hand experience.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

Yes your right. It says that I prefer not to buy used. It DOESN'T say that I think "X" brand is better than "Y".

We can all sit here and list(argue) what is good but really it's not, as most often is the case, gonna help in any way because there never is a unanimous "buy this"...What he does have is some idea now, of what's out there and he should research or narrow it down to what HE likes and then go from there.

So for the record I like:
Anthem
Parasound
Rotel
Gryphon
Accuphase
MBL
Goldmund

Hope that helps...

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Chris: "Hey, Elinor, the Sea called. They've ran out of shrimp."

Elinor: "Well, Chris, guess what. The Jerk Store called, and they ran out of you!"

Guys, please, enough with the arguments. While you both bring up good points, don't take each person's opinions/comments as personal affrontery.

Chris, you are correct in saying that you never know what you get from classifieds, and that sometimes it is best to purchase from a dealer, as with processors a lot can go wrong, such as busted chips, channels shorting out, etc etc. But at the same time the percentage of guys looking to sell flawed gear without stating the flaws is very small. While it is possible that some units are listed falsely and sold damaged, for the most part it is very improbable IF you are dealing with someone who has a good reputation.

Elinor, whatever you're taking, give me some :D
But in all seriousness, for that price range, the biggest jump in price vs. performance comes from used gear. I know this for a fact, having used a New Rotel 1066 and Outlaw 950 at seperate times, then taking the plunge on a used Anthem AVM-20. While the price difference was about high, I felt the increase in overall performance was worth it. If I had to pay retail for the Anthem, I might not have felt the same way. And yes, a Meridian for that price will trounce almost anything in terms of sound quality, as long as you can live with its limited features.

An Outlaw will not do justice to a Bryston amp, as even though the Outlaw is a solid piece, I don't think that its sound signature and sound quality will mate well with the Bryston sound, though the Rotel unit might do a little better. But the best advice, as always, is to try to listen and make ones own decision.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

Will there be any news of the P-965 successor at CES?
Hoping for something that competes w/the Integra 9.8.

Reon, any one??? ;-)

My 9080 is soooooooooo loooooooooooong in the tooth.
Coming up on 10 yrs next yr.
Still enjoy it & all the 'tweaks' keep it sounding fresh.
Latest addition was an A-35.
TrueHD R O C K S ! ! !

Happy Holidays!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I myself will be plunking down some green on an Integra 9.8 very soon. I currently have a Rotel 1066 and while I absolutely enjoyed my time with it, it's time to move on and hear some of these new lossless formats in the HT realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks