What's new

Sellers recommend 42" I want 47" (1 Viewer)

BloomingFlower

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Hey guys,

These past 5 days I have visited like 4 different shops considering buying a new LCD for my new apartment, which I currently don't have any TV connected yet.

All salesman from different shops recommended me 42" LCD, while I actually pushed for the 47". Yet they all repeatadly kept telling that 47" would be too big, and they obviously would want me to spend more money on a T.V. yet they honestly believe anything over 42" for my room would be an overkill.

I want to add that I would mainly watch Bluray movies at 1080p and play PS3 games (also 1080p). The fact that most of what I am going to watch would be HD. And given the fact that my viewing distance from eyes to TV is about 2.8 meters (9 feet) do you really think that 47" would not serve better experience than a 42" set ?

According to an article I just read and a T.V. Viewing distances chart published by Panasonic the optimal viewing distance when watching a 42" Full HD (1080p) TV is 1.7 meters! (5.5 feet). Though for 42" 480p which has a much lower resolution it would be optimal to look at from 3.7 meters (12 feet).

Keep in mind I want my TV to be used mainly for Blueray 1080p content and PS3 1080p content and a viewing distance of about 2.8 meters (9 feet). Do you think a 47" would give better experience?

I just bought today the Philips 42PFL9664. But I am thinking of going to the shop tomorrow morning and change my order to a 47" LCD for around the same price tag.

Focusing on my question. Can you gurus help out ?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I own a philips 47 inch.. I would say go for it.

Jacob

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
I advise my clients to go with plasma rather than LCD, if overall picture quality is the top priority. My recommendation for your seating distance would be a 46" or 50" higher end Panasonic or a 50" Pioneer. http://hdguru.com/hd-guru-picks-the-10-best-hdtvs-you-can-buy/619/

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
The question isn't so much what you're using the TV for but rather what you're using the room for, and how big it is. Is it a TV room, or a living room? If the former, go for the larger. If the latter, then it depends on the size of the room. Siting 10' away in a 15x15 room is not the same as sitting 10' away in a 25'x25' room.

The seating distance guidelines really only work if the room is dedicated for TV viewing. Otherwise, you risk turning your living room into a TV room. I'd like to see guidelines that relate the size of the TV to the square footage of the room.

I bought a 55" LCD for my living room, immediately realized my error, and now I'm getting a 42" plasma.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Good choice! I have a small living room, sit about 7' from my TV (currently a 42" RPTV) and have a 54" plasma on the way. It's gonna be HUGE! LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks