What's new

Seinfeld is coming next year! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
According to this story here, Seinfeld should be arriving sometime late next year.

"Exec producer Howard West claims that DVDs *are* in the works and should roll out by late next year. 'It takes time,' he explains about adding extras -- unseen footage, behind-the-scenes interviews -- to episodes filmed as long ago as 1990. 'We have to go backward to go forward.' But Columbia-TriStar, who will distribute, says it has no timetable for the release"
The fact that they're really putting some thought into the special features really pleases me. They're really trying to make it something special. I know what I'm getting my friends for Christmas 2004.

Britton

Screenwriter
Hmm, my friend saw Seinfeld's act last week at the Savannah Civic Center and someone asked if the show was going to be on DVD. Seinfeld said, "They aren't out on DVD because we're still making money from the TV."

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Jerry Seinfield has NO say in the making of the DVD, since he sold his rights away to the show to TBS for something like 5 years in syndecation.

So I take that news with a hefty amount of salt. But if its true, I'm very excited! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Haden

Supporting Actor
I hope the release schedule for the seasons is similar to Friends where we get 3 seasons per year. I don't want to have to wait 4+ years to get the whole series on DVD.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I read somewhere, I think it was a TV Guide, where Jerry said they were working on DVD extras. I so hope to get my hands on Seinfeld disks. Best sitcom ever (debatable I know, but I love it!).

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I read this with mixed emotions. As excited as I am about the potential to get Seinfeld on DVD, this is being released by Columbia. They have consitently dropped the ball when it comes to TV on DVD, and even their theatrical releases are becoming more and more disappointing.

Hopefully they wont pull a Married with Children and condense a whole season onto two discs with terrible video.

It would be nice if we got something as least as good as the Friends sets.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
It's probably taken so long so they can figure out how to fit it all on to one disk. Columbia better not screw this one up.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, Columbia being in charge doesn't inspire confidence in a regular release schedule for the show. But, they are working on extras, which Columbia doesn't usually do for TV product. I don't usually watch it on TV, but what I have seen I enjoy and I will buy the season sets.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Call me crazy, but I don't think we're going to see Columbia handling this release in "typical Columbia" fashion. First off, Seinfeld is probably the only TV show on DVD that could eclipse The Simpsons in terms of number of sales. Record-breaking sales potential alone sets it apart from other Columbia properties like All In the Family, Barney Miller and The King of Queens. And don't think they don't know this.

Secondly, a typical Columbia TV on DVD release contains zero special features -- we've already heard there's the strong possibility of interviews, episode commentaries, and season-ending gag reels (among other features) set to be included with this. Another reason to believe Seinfeld will be a different type of release.

Finally, if they wanted to release a poor presentation of Seinfeld, I think they'd have done it by now. Columbia is wasting no time flooding the market with [at least the premieres seasons of] its large catalog of titles. Why is it taking them so long to release one of the most highly-anticipated DVD sets ever?

I don't know, maybe they want to try a new approach with this one. Let's hope so.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
To us, Seinfeld is better than The Simpsons, but it has way less mass appeal than The Simpsons does.
HUH??????? I don't think so.

I'm sure there is someone on this forum near by that can confirm my educated guess, but I would think that Seinfeld's rating (I'm talking about the share of people who watch it each night when it was new episodes), has always been greater than the Simpsons. There's just a lot of damn people that watched this show then and now who would certainly buy season sets on DVD. I know I would, as well as, all my family and friends. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I would also imagine that the horrible state of recent Simpsons episodes would turn off a lot of now-former fans, myself included, from buying even the early Simpsons sets. Much like I did (or didn't I should say), but I would buy a Seinfeld set still in a heartbeat, I think most people would.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Everyone I know loves the Simpsons.

But as for Seinfeld, I know more people that HATE it than can even tolerate it.

I know in circles such as this one on the HTF everyone absolutely loves Seinfeld, and I have some close friends who love it too, but it's a lot more mixed out in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks