What's new

Sega Saturn question... (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
This is a question for the Sega Saturn collectors - I've been offered a Japanese Sega Saturn by a friend, he claims it's "brown" and there's a strong possibility it's a developer's machine (he's a fellow programmer).
He suspects that it won't work with my US TV as it's "NTSC J"... Should this be a problem? I have a 36" Toshiba TV at home, that should be okay for it, shouldn't it?
What about power differences between the US & Japan - do I need a power converter?
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
I was playing my Skeleton Sega Saturn(rarest casing of the SS and only released in Japan) last night, no problems, plugged right into my 27" Sony Wega and pluged right into my electric socket in my wall.
Hope that answers your question.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
That's what I needed to know (and thought). Hopefully my friend will remember to bring it in tomorrow.
What colour of Skeleton do you have? The blue ones are relatively easy to get hold of, it's the grey ones that are rarer in my experience
wink.gif
The Blue Skeletons got released right at the end of the Saturn's lifecycle, noone in Japan was interested in buying them.
AFAIK NCS have a big stockpile of Skeletons...
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
The saturn is grey, same color as the controller. Funny thing that the Grey controller also came with the blue-ish Skeleton Saturn. I actually wanted a white Saturn(really love white consoles) but the guy who I buy stuff from said he had a grey skeleton that he would sell me, as I buy too much stuff from him as it is :)
Videogamedepot.com has a HiSaturn for sale for $1499.00 Good price for a portable PSOne syle Sega Saturn with a built on LCD screen.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Nice on Kelley, wouldn't mind one myself... Was very close to buying one, but *hopefully* this machine from my mate will suffice.
As for the VGD 'deal' - they really should just put it up on ebay, they've gone for more than they're asking for. I have a mate who's been after one for a while...
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
what games are you wanting to get with for the Saturn? I am looking for:
Gaurdian Hereos (US Release)
Layer Section II (on the way now, eBay rules)
Radiant Silvergun
Capcom Collections (all of them)
Dungeons and Dragons Collection (Shadows of Mystaria)
ummmmm I could go on....so what are you looking to get?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
About 2 years ago I wanted a Saturn so I could get the good Japanese version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter. Never got it though.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, here is as good a thread to ask as any.
Radiant Silvergun: As good as the hype? As a regular Edge reader, I'm starting to succumb to their endless praise for the game. Is it really worth hunting down when I can't think of a single other reason to get a Saturn (apart from possibly adding to my wipEout versions collection)?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Radiant Silvergun: As good as the hype?
It's a great great shooter. Is it worth over a hundred quid? Not a chance - pure & unadulterated hype. Low supply, artificially high demand.
As for what games I'm after on the Saturn, it's really only a handful. I used to own one with a pile of imports that I sadly sold just before I moved to the US. Darn stupid of me, and I really regret it. I got good prices for my stuff though, and most of it went to good homes.
I'm desperate to get NiGHTS again, Sega Rally, some fighters, and some Jap shooters, etc etc. Not going to start paying silly money for the likes of RS or PDS though.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Saturn is very easy to mod to play Japanese games. Just cut a trace and wire in a switch and you're done
XM vs SF on Saturn was fantastic, I was the envy of all the Sega Bashers
The Japanese Saturns are only different electronically than the US ones because of the different region code. I believe the power supply is switching, and if it's not, then the voltage is so close it doesn't matter. Just watch for overheating
Jeff Kleist

Gary King

Second Unit
I'd recommend a power convertor for Japanese consoles - I use one on my Japanese PS2.
In all likelihood, you won't have any problems (especially if you unplug your console after you're done); however, since it only costs about $25 for a voltage convertor (I got mine from radioshack.com the only site I could find that carried them), I figure it's worth the added protection against overheating.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm now the proud owner of a grey Japanese Saturn, with converter cart for US games, plus a few old Japanese games (ones I was after, which is nice).
I'll probably end up getting a power converter like you suggest, Gary...
Time to hit eBay for some more games...
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Gary King

Second Unit
It's part of the system pastiche.
Now that you're a Saturn owner, you get to flaunt it with big, ugly jewel cases.
Plus, nothing leaves bruises on friends that out-play you in XM vs SF than a big, ugly jewel case
wink.gif

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Now that you're a Saturn owner, you get to flaunt it with big, ugly jewel cases
Heh. I used to think the UK Saturn game cases were bad - like a cardboard predecessor to DVD cases, eventually evolving into an all-plastic 'large DVD' type case that looked rather nice & was durable.
Those US cases are poo of the smelliest poo.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
The US Saturn cases were surplus left over from the days of the Sega CD. That is the reason. ( and it stinks,too as they take up soooo much shelf space...)
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All my Japanese Saturn games are in jewel cases
Gotta agree on the US cases, I think I have 3 survivors from my Sega CD AND Saturn games
Jeff Kleist

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I believe when Sony's original bumpy cases were not ready in time, so they bought a bunch of Sega's old SegaCD cases and Sega used them all through the Saturns life span, damn they had a lot of left over cases!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks