What's new

Security stickers ruin DVD cases (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If this topic has already been discussed, excuse the rant.

Is anyone else annoyed by how the security stickers, when applied at the factory in a haphazard fashion cause the clear plastic on the cases to bend and wrinkle and leave them that way after the stickers have been removed?

I'd like to help the studios design a better solution for the security issue. In the mean time, any suggestions for a B&M source or mail order or other none web based source to replace the type that Paramount is using for their DVD's, single and double cases? I'd like to replace the TOS Star Trek DVD cases.

Thanks!

Nelson

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
The use of a sticker or stickers to warn me that a security device is installed is just plain dumb. If someone was going to shoplift the item then let them find out as they get pinched at the door that a device was installed. Furthemore, since every DVD I have purchased is shrinkwrapped one certainly does not need the stickers to keep the case closed.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Those stickers while annoying are helping to keep the price of DVDs reasonable. Much like those signs and monitors that point out security cameras at retailers that sticker does more to deter theft than security alarms. While some theives will risk going thru the trouble of bypassing security most will just leave that DVD on the shelf and search for an easier target.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I had my first bad experience with these damn stickers. On Tuesday, I purchased The Score. When I arrived home, I removed the shrink rap and then started working on the stickers. I got the first two off, but when I removed the sticker from the top of the DVD (the one with the title of the movie printed on it) it took with it some of the artwork. The very top of it was stuck out of the plastic cover just a little bit. I was very upset by this, so I took back and exchanged it for another one.

I never hated them before, but I hate those damn stickers now.

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
When I bought Mission Impossible 2, the security tab inside the case, was half on the case and half on the DVD! Furthermore, with my purchase of Yojimbo, the security tab was STUCK COMPLETELY ONTO THE DISC, ITSELF! Now it may be the lesser of two evils, but I'll take annyoing case stickers over stickers on my disc.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, since I buy my DVD's from a B&M store, I look for the sticker to see if it is stuck onto the artwork that sometimes is sticking out of the clear area to be sure it won't be damaged when removing the sticker.

The trick I use to remove the stickers is to use a sharp utility knife, like an exacto knife and simply cut along the part line where the cover slits open. This way, I can use the cut edge to lift the stickers off from. It comes off increbibly fast and it also cuts the shrink wrap open.

Are there no ideas what the Paramount cases are, Amaray or whoever so I can look to match the color and design cases of my Paramount discs?

Thanks, Nelson

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Nelson, I buy most of my DVDs from B&M stores and I've learned my lesson to inspect all DVDs before purchasing them. Believe me.

I feel somewhat guilty for exchanging a DVD strictly because the art work was damaged. Should I feel this way?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I feel somewhat guilty for exchanging a DVD strictly because the art work was damaged. Should I feel this way?
Tom, don't feel guilty! You're buying the whole package - not just the DVD. I feel exactly the same way as you. I'm quite particular (ok, anal retentive is a better term) about the quality of my DVD package, and by package, I mean the DVD, the case, the artwork, etc. I've also exchanged DVDs because something was wrong with the case or artwork. To me, there's nothing worse than getting a brand new DVD, and wanting to admire the artwork, and finding it to be substandard or defective in some way. That is an error on the part of whoever produced the DVD that you shouldn't have to live with unless you choose to do so.

I'll admit it's harder for me to do this when I order a DVD online because it's more of a hassle. I guess that's the sacrifice for getting a better price (usually).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks