1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Secret Rare game ... a remake of an 8-bit classic?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by paul h, Apr 4, 2003.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Hmmm, hope this is true ... posted on computerandvideogames:

"We know about Kameo, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day Online and the concept for Sabre Wulf, but what else will Rare have up its Xbox-branded sleeve for this year's E3? Does the word "Ghoulies" ring any bells? If you're a die-hard Rare fan it should. "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" was registered by Rare way back in February 2001 and it was widely believed to be a new project in development at the UK studio."

"Although nothing official has ever been mentioned, we can reveal that the game is very much in development, currently going by the name "Ghoulies," and is scheduled to be revealed at E3 in May. And although its precise nature is a closely guarded secret, it's believed to be a full 3D update of its classic 8-bit platformer, Atic Atac. Awesome."

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I don't really care...yet. Until I see something, Rare's kinda been letting me down. The programmers on GoldenEye/Perfect Dark left, SFA didn't do so hot, and their last few adventure games seemed too unoriginal.

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

While Rare have always left me slightly confused as to why they get so worshipped (with the glaring exception of Goldeneye, obviously), Ultimate Play The Game's back catalogue remains untarnished. A new Atic Atac would be brilliant if the multiple paths for the different characters, complex mansion architecture and new positions for the pieces each time carried forward.

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Iain, I think you answered your own question. People loved Goldeneye just so damn much that it gives people a huge blind spot for actual quality of Rare titles.

I'm not sure exactly why this happens when other companies such as Nintendo and Rockstar, for example, don't have a prayer of getting away with it.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter

Don't forget DONKEY KONG COUNTRY! Those games breathed new life into a dying SNES and still hold up as classic 2D platformers. How I miss 2D games. Sigh.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Killer Instinct anyone? As for the new game I agree w/Morgan, I'm not too anxious as Rare hasn't done anything spectacular recently.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If it's KI3, I will buy an X-Box tomorrow.

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Screenwriter