What's new

Seat Fanatics. Where do you sit in the theatre? (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
A few rows from the back, left side, on the aisle if I'm with my family. I like the tilt down view of the screen (as in head tilted down slightly). I've noticed that most people sit on the right and I hate when people talk in movies.

If I'm alone, I go for the center a few rows from the back.

In a regular theater, I sit in the back row, unless the back row touches the wall. In that case, I move up a few rows.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I sit so that my eyeline matches up as closely as possible to the middle of the screen both horizontally and vertically. At the stadium theaters I go to, that's usually a little over halfway up the main section of seats and in the middle of the row.

This placement lets the screen fill my vision just enough so that it is immersive, but I can still see the whole screen without turning or tilting my head. It's also good in terms of surround sound.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I used to sit dead center of the theater. The only problem with that was that if someone was to sit in the seat in front of you you couldn't see the screen anymore. By the way, why would anybody sit directly in front of you when there are enough seats available elsewhere in the theater?

So now I move a couple of rows forward. The screen is bigger, and if someone sits in front of you, you can still see the screen. Your neck hurts after a while, though.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I only go to Stadium houses, so... I seat 4/5 towards the back for two reasons - so I don't lose the surround, and too far back I feel like I'm looking down at the screen. I like to sit slightly above center of the middle of the screen. And for some reason I like to sit slightly to the left side of the screen. For some reason this feels more comfortable to me than sitting center.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I prefer the front third of the theater, center of the row. Usually 3/4 rows back fro very front.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
7-8 rows from the front and center if available.

If I can't sit there because it's occupied i'll try for the third row up of the stadium seating and center.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Dead center for me as well, back center as an alternative.

I don't recall what type of theater seating it had, but when I saw Spider-Man 3 I had such a perfect view of the screen, the surrounds were balanced very well and it was very comfortable, no neck straining, no looking down, up, it was great.

Something tells me if we all went to a movie together we would have to draw straws several times over in order to get that center seat.

Then rock paper scissors. Probably pick a number for the elimination round.

And while all of that is happening one of us uses the excuse of getting some popcorn to sneak away unnoticed, only to really go off and get that seat leaving the competitive bunch looking like chumps. :)

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Geoff
From left to right, I like to sit in the center, so that my view is centered on the screen, and the sound is balanced correctly. For this reason, I try to avoid theatres with a center aisle.

From front to back, I like to sit close. I try to sit where the screen will fill my field of vision, where I can't see any exit signs, or even just dead wall. This is often aligned with the first set of surround speakers.

Jonesy
MOVIE THEATRE REVIEWS

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I remember being in a THX certified movie theater where they actually showed us where the best possible seats/locations are in most theaters.

I forget exactly how it works, but basically it is "the middle of the middle", which is generally what I prefer.

Maybe a little bit back.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Due to my bad knees I hate walking up the stairs, so I usually go for almost half way up and I have to have an aisle seat, because I hate being crowded in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks