What's new

Season 5 of MTM Show. Is This a Gamble (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EricSchulz

Well, back to the subject at hand: I'm REALLY enjoying Season 5 and keep my fingers crossed that Season 6 will be released in the next year or two!
Thanks, Eric, for bringing this thread back to the subject. I, too am enjoying this set and hope we will see Season 6 sooner than it took from season 4 to season 5.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

I believe that AITF is still very relevant. I believe that the little life lessons that Archie learned still need to be taught. I believe that they need to be aired and addressed on contemporary television, but they are not. Nobody's talking about those things on tv anymore, and they should. That's not to say that a couple more dvd releases will solve society's problems, but I believe we are in an incredibly intolerant and paranoid period of history and nobody's addressing those issues in an artistic forum. All they talk about on tv today is boobs and relationships.
my comments did not have to do with the relevance of a show, at least as you are describing it. by your definition, "i love lucy" certainly isnt relevant.

i am talking about which shows penetrated the american society with a lasting impression. not just about how popular a show was with its ratings, etc. for example, in the music business - elvis, dylan and the beatles will far outlast michael jackson, when it comes to having a truly lasting effect.

in my opinion, "bonanza" is the number one all-time tv show, with regards to penetrating society. most kids know about the show, just like most kids know about elvis presley. that is nowhere near true about aitf. disney's wild world of color was the show that started people buying color sets. but bonanza was the one that blew it away. it was nbc's premier color show from the very get-go. it was not only a western, but a family show - that portrayed family values that were thought of as ideal to the american society.

i can positively tell you that studios are not worried about that show selling. if they put out all 14 seasons at once, it would sell off the shelf. but the studios would still make less than half what they would make by selling one season at a time. and that in a nutshell, is why the shows are being sold one season at a time, for the most part.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by TravisR

I watch a fair amount of modern television and I can't think any live action network show that has any guts and will talk about politics or race. They're too scared of angering a few letter writing losers to do that. Occasionally, The Simpsons and South Park take shots at people in politics but they take shots at both sides and say that they both are lousy.
Somehow, I don't think the season debut of "Law And Order" becoming an advocacy forum for attacking the Bush Administration on "torture" policy to the point of giving us the laughable conceit of a New York DA abusing his authority to go into a place that in real world he would have no jurisdiction over and would find himself disbarred and driven from office if he ever engaged in such a stunt, is a case where there was a lack of "guts" re: politics. Lack of integrity perhaps, but guts no.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I don't watch Law And Order but OK (eventhough I think that saying torture is wrong has nothing at all to do with your political viewpoint). That being said, your initial post made it sound like television is inundated with shows talking about politics or race and that just isn't the case.

EDIT: removed some text that potentially violates HTF rules.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
As it has been pointed out by several people, this is a thread about Season 5 of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Let's stick to that topic. If you want to discuss any other series please take it to another thread, not this one!!

John15

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I finished watching season 5 the other night. Really enjoyed it. I just hope I don't have to wait another 4 years to see season 6.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I found this season to be the funniest so far. Glad my memory of it held up. From Mary going to jail to Ted's orientation of TBFBS, I really had some great belly laughs.

One of my all time favorite exchanges in the entire series:
MARY: "Sue Ann, did you crash the men's room?"
SUE ANN: "Of course not! I went as somebody's guest."

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I agree, I think this was the show at it's peak. The Ted Baxter Famous Broadcast school is one of my all time favorites from any series. It just seems like a perfect episode with a great punchline.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
ted baxter was my least favorite character. i usually dont like those "dumb" parts that tv shows would put in. i think mainly, because they are not believable, in the sense that any real person is like that.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by jimmyjet
Sad but true, and that's as dumb as anything to ever some out of Ted Baxter's mouth.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by jimmyjet

ted baxter was my least favorite character. i usually dont like those "dumb" parts that tv shows would put in. i think mainly, because they are not believable, in the sense that any real person is like that.
There was an L.A. television station newscaster in the late 60's named George Putnam. He looked like Ted Baxter, sounded like Ted, and, apparently, was just as dumb as Ted.

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
All characters and situations are exaggerated for the sake of comedy. I think that the Ted Baxter character was pretty believable, especially when you would compare this character to another character such as Steve Urkel. I guess the Steve Urkel character was more of a nerd, instead of not being too bright like Ted Baxter. Just a few minutes of Urkel (nothing against the actor) was more than enough that I could stand. So annoying and not believable at all. I guess the producers of Family Matters wanted him to play it way over the top.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i have been watching episodes of the fugitive. ted knight has been on 2 of them so far. each were serious roles, and his voice was quite different. it took quite awhile before it actually dawned on me that it was him. and then i'd say, "oh my gosh, that is ted baxter - LOL".

i dont like those dumb characters. but usually they dont have major roles. for example, i hated the character of the brother in wonder years. but luckily he wasnt on for very long at any one time.

i never watched the urkel show. i got a glance of it once on youtube, to get a feel for it. the voice itself was so irritating that i couldnt listen to it for more than a minute. from what i have been told, he was a major character, if not THE MAJOR character.

i recall the name of george putnam. he had a pretty big name, but i was just a little kid - so i doubt if would have known how dumb or smart he was. i was into sports though, and even as a little kid, knew that curt gowdy made more mistakes than all the rest of the announcers put together.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Remember the time Ted walked off the set to complain that the tennis match was going on too long and cutting out the news and they ended up cutting back to an empty studio for 10 minutes? Wait, that was Dan Rather.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I am upset by a few quality issues with the MTM season 5 set. First, most, but not all the episodes have a glaring audio fault at :11 -:16 in the opening credits. And a couple ahve an abbreviated syndicated opening credit. What up with that?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I just got in S5 from the DD sale, and watched the first ep the other night.
I still have season 4 in the shrinkwrap so I don't know what the PQ of that one is like, but I immediately noticed how much poorer S5 looks in relation to the first three seasons.
If I had to guess, I would say that the first three (four?) seasons were remastered, and for Season 5 (and beyond?) they just used whatever existing masters were available. I'm seeing a very soft, lower res image replete with the usual moire effects you get with them. In addition, compression doesn't look like it was attended to very well. Very disappointed how much Fox seems to have lowballed this property.

I'm sure we'll get the remaining seasons without too much further waiting, but I'm also sure it will not be with anywhere near the care they put forth in the past.
That's a real shame.
I'll still pick the rest up, but I will definitely not be rushing out to get them. I'll wait until there is an 'offer I can't refuse' sale.
I really wish I'd waited for that on this one

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by alphanguy

I am upset by a few quality issues with the MTM season 5 set. First, most, but not all the episodes have a glaring audio fault at :11 -:16 in the opening credits. And a couple ahve an abbreviated syndicated opening credit. What up with that?

I can't say for sure without going back in time, but I do recall that in the later MTM years, CBS started abbreviating the credits on MTM for a few episodes so it's entirely possible that those abbreviated credits are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks