What's new

SEAS Trym DIY Speaker Build (1 Viewer)

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Definitely same for me. Looks like I'll be able to get everything I need for PE, but I'll have to look around a bit more to find those 22 AWG inductors. Thanks for all the advise!

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
iBalisy said:
Definitely same for me. Looks like I'll be able to get everything I need for PE, but I'll have to look around a bit more to find those 22 AWG inductors. Thanks for all the advise!
maybe somebody can help me learn something: what effect does the gauge of the inductor have? like if you used a .22 mH 18 AWG coil instead of a .22 mH 22 AWG coil, what would happen? im not being a jerk, btw

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 22 AWG coil would have more resistance. Good crossover designers factor in the resistance of the coil when they are designing the crossover. Not a jerk question at all.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Robert_J said:
The 22 AWG coil would have more resistance. Good crossover designers factor in the resistance of the coil when they are designing the crossover. Not a jerk question at all.
I'm having a lot of trouble finding 22 AWG coils. After a lot of searching I haven't found any .22 mH or .56 mH 22 AWG coils. Neither PE nor madisound seem to carry them. Anyone know where I should look for this specific gauge coil?

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
iBalisy said:
I'm having a lot of trouble finding 22 AWG coils. After a lot of searching I haven't found any .22 mH or .56 mH 22 AWG coils. Neither PE nor madisound seem to carry them. Anyone know where I should look for this specific gauge coil?
your best bet might be to contact the people who are selling coils and ask them to point you in the right direction. like PE tech support or sales might be able to help.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
Robert_J said:
i knew that. thinner wire = more resistance. didnt know however that it was factored into the design. nice going to come in handy when i start designing crossovers :cool:

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Also, could I put a 15 ohm ad 7 ohm resistor together to make a 22 ohm resistor?

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Mike Thomass said:
your best bet might be to contact the people who are selling coils and ask them to point you in the right direction. like PE tech support or sales might be able to help.
Thanks, I'll try that. EDIT: Tomorrow, that is. Can't get a hold of anyone tonight.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I Googled 22 AWG inductor but came back with dozens of .22mh inductors. There were a few sites with coil/resistance calculators and another site mentioned getting a larger gauge coil and adding a small resistor to match the 22 AWG coil. It will take some calculations but it's better than nothing. Or you can settle for 20 AWG.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
I can't find any .22 mH 22 AWG coils, even on a google search. Can anyone provide me with a link? I'll keep searching in the meantime.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Sent an email to PE tech support, hopefully they'll get back to me fairly quickly. In the meantime, where would I look to find how to do the calculations for a larger gauge coil + resistor series? Speaker city has some 20 AWG coils that are slightly off on mH - theres one .2 mH 20 AWG coil and the one I need is .22 mH - this wouldn't be acceptable, correct? There are 18 gauge coils at the right mH on PE, so I think that's my best bet right now.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All else fails, go with the correct inductance but a larger gauge wire on the coil. The inductance sets the crossover frequency. That slight bit of resistance you are losing may not even be noticeable.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Robert_J said:
All else fails, go with the correct inductance but a larger gauge wire on the coil. The inductance sets the crossover frequency. That slight bit of resistance you are losing may not even be noticeable.
So then do you think going from a 22 gauge coil to an 18 gauge coil would be enough of a change in resistance to be audible? I don't know what the resistance is for the suggested .22 mH 22 gauge coil, but the 18 gauge resistance would be .21 ohm.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think you are at a point where you have no other choice but to go with a larger gauge inductor. I've been searching as well and can't find one. Your other option is to buy some 22 gauge lacquer covered wire and wind your own inductor.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
I agree. Well I don't think I'd be comfortable winding my own coils, so I'll just go with the 18 gauge and hope that the difference in resistance doesn't affect the sound. I'm going to order the parts for the crossovers tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help!

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
iBalisy said:
I agree. Well I don't think I'd be comfortable winding my own coils, so I'll just go with the 18 gauge and hope that the difference in resistance doesn't affect the sound. I'm going to order the parts for the crossovers tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the help!
since you will be ordering from pe, use the tech chat box feature while youre on the site and check on the 22awg stuff. definitely would be faster than waiting for an email reply.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
They actually got back to me yesterday, letting me know that they didn't carry or make 22 gauge coils. I found one 22 gauge on madisound that was a .8 mH inductance coil, and the difference in resistance between that and an 18 gauge .8 mH coil was very little, so I don't think it will be noticeable.

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
iBalisy said:
They actually got back to me yesterday, letting me know that they didn't carry or make 22 gauge coils. I found one 22 gauge on madisound that was a .8 mH inductance coil, and the difference in resistance between that and an 18 gauge .8 mH coil was very little, so I don't think it will be noticeable.
did you ask them where you could locate a 22awg? we already knew they didnt carry them i thought. btw, im no expert, but you might want to find out what the effect of using a .8 instead of a .22 would be. i think thats important too. i mean, they make for example .20mh in different gauges, so the .20 must mean something. again, im no expert, just trying to prevent a problem for you later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks