What's new

Searching for AV receiver for my Pack Focal Chorus 836 (1 Viewer)

OMARBOF

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
Hi, i'm searching for AV receiver for my Pack Focal Chorus 836 It is composed by : 2 floorstanding speakers chorus 836 V (180 W RMS sous 8 Ohms), 1 center speaker chorus CC 800 V (100 W RMS sous 8 Ohms), 2 surrounds chorus SR 800 V (80 W RMS sous 8 Ohms) 1 Sub SW 800 V (350 W RMS). Thank

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Do you have a budget in mind? Are you looking to buy online or from a local retailer? You will probably need some modest power for the floorstanding speakers and I would recommend using separate amplification such as the Emotiva XPA-5 and then pair that up with a receiver with pre-outs, or, if you have no need for HDMI 1.4 3D capabilities, get the Emotiva UMC-1 pre-pro. If you want HDMI 1.4a, I'd recommend a Marantz SR-6005. Or, if you prefer an all-in-one AVR, you'll probably need a Denon AVR-4311ci or, even better if you can afford it, either a NAD T775 or a Rotel RSX-1550. However, budget is your main restriction. JB

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
OMARBOF said:
Thanks a lot, what do you thing about Yamaha RX-A2010 ?
Comparable to the Denon 4311 I listed above. However, if I had ~$1500 as a budget, I'd go the Emotiva XPA-5 ($769) with a Marantz 6005 AVR ($589) as a pre-pro.

OMARBOF

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
The association of Emotiva XPA-5 and Marantz 6005 AVR is well in listening in home cinema as listening HIFI music ?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
OMARBOF said:
The association of Emotiva XPA-5 and Marantz 6005 AVR is well in listening in home cinema as listening HIFI music ?
The main reason why I'm recommending this approach. Marantz has, in my opinion, a better "musicality" sound to it for music listening while the clean power of the Emotiva XPA-5 will surpass anything Denon or Yamaha (or any other AVR) under $2000+ will provide. In fact, the NAD T775 will run you between $2500-$3000 to achieve what the Marantz-Emotiva combo will for under $1500...

OMARBOF

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
ok and many thanks, I will return to you if I have another question !

OMARBOF

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
I want to extend my pack Focal Chorus 5.1 to 7.1 later, is this extension is possible with Emotiva XPA-5 and Marantz 6005 AVR or not ?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
OMARBOF said:
I want to extend my pack Focal Chorus 5.1 to 7.1 later, is this extension is possible with Emotiva XPA-5 and Marantz 6005 AVR or not ?
Absolutely. Don't forget that the Marantz 6005 is also a quite capable 7.1 receiver. You could, instead of the XPA-5, simply get the XPA-2 to drive the front 2 towers and power the rest of your speakers using the Marantz 6005. Or, as many do, get an XPA-3 to drive the towers and center channel and use the Marantz to drive all the surrounds as they usually do not require much power. JB

OMARBOF

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
In this case, There will not be an imbalance between the speakers's sound, The Floorstanding and central speakers drived by Emotiva XPA-3 and the rest drived by Marantz 6005 ?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
OMARBOF said:
In this case, There will not be an imbalance between the speakers's sound, The Floorstanding and central speakers drived by Emotiva XPA-3 and the rest drived by Marantz 6005 ?
When watching a movie, 70% of the sound is vocals coming out of your center channel, 20-25% is music from the left and right fronts leaving less than 5-10% for "ambient sounds and effects" for your surround speakers. Also, surround speakers tend to be be smaller for exactly that reason. Also, don't forget that your subwoofer is taking a huge load off small speakers by playing the more demanding bass notes. In 2 channel music listening, 100% of the sound is to your left and right fronts. All this to say, your front 3 speakers tend to need the most power which is why many use separate amps to drive those channels. You will not hear a sonic difference because you are using seperate amps for the fronts and the AVR's amps for the surrounds*. * - if you are listening to movies or music in 7channel mode (i.e. all speakers getting the same signal strength), you may hear the difference in power but that's going to be more a function of your speaker size than the amount of power they are receiving.

OMARBOF

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
HI, I'm back Unfortunately, the Marantz SR6005 is no longer manufactured, it is replaced by SR6006 and my dealer advised me the Yamaha RX-A810. So my question is: what is the best couple Marantz SR6006 with Emotiv XPA-3 or the Yamaha RX-A810 with Emotiv XPA-3 knowing that the Yamaha was offered to me with an exeptional price. And many thanks

OMARBOF

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
HI, I'm back Unfortunately, the Marantz SR6005 is no longer manufactured, it is replaced by SR6006 and my dealer advised me the Yamaha RX-A810 or Denon AVR-3312. So my question is what do you thing of (best association) : Marantz SR6006 with Emotiv XPA-3 Denon AVR-3312 with Emotiva XPA-3 the Yamaha RX-A810 with Emotiv XPA-3 knowing that the Yamaha was offered to me with an exceptional price. (no problem with the budget with the three couples) And many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks