What's new

Search for The Final Countdown (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll order mine once the discs start shipping. (Maybe someone should mention that to PFE - I'm betting there's a bunch of us who are in wait-n-see mode.)
I DID mention that to Michael yesterday. He acknowledged that along with my point that folks don't know them as well as they know, say, Paramount. :)

Michael Moulton

Stunt Coordinator
The "high interest and low sales" isn't going to change if they don't put the disc on store shelves.

People here on HTF may be well informed, and people here on HTF may be big fans of this movie, but we have to be realistic. 99% of DVD buyers aren't on HTF. A good percentage probably wouldn't even bother to read a DVD related web site at all. So how is JSP gonna find out about this DVD? He's not. So he's not going to buy it.

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Were you able to get in touch with Tim Cook? If so, did he tell you when they expect to start shipping "The Final Countdown". Also I am curious, what time of the day do you get through to talk to Micheal or Tim Cook? When I call I am lucky to get the operator who tells me they are still working on the technical problem they were having but expect to be shipping the DVDs soon.

Thank you!

Richard Ringenbach

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David,

Were you able to get in touch with Tim Cook?
No. You might could tell from my posts that there was fear on my part that I wasn't going to be able to make time to call him. That was the case. In fact, I didn't even get to eat a full lunch before I ran back to my desk. I worked 2:40 hours overtime and still didn't finish my project before daycare's closing time and $1-per-MINUTE overtime charge forced me to skee-daddle.

I will try to call Monday. Sorry to let you all down, guys.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am lucky to get the operator who tells me they are still working on the technical problem they were having but expect to be shipping the DVDs soon.
YIKES!!! :eek:
This is starting to sound like the Dinosaur DVD crap that Buena Vista dishes out every time you call them! I've heard the same stories recycled over the past year now and still no replacement disc in sight. If Disney can't get a "tcchnical" issue resolved, what makes one have any more confidence that an unknown can fix their problem???
Will be looking forward to your findings Dave.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
If you have a region free player there are a couple of copies on e-bay. Have no idea of the quality of it though.

I'll be glad when they get the problems worked out if ever.

Later

Jim

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Jim,
These have to be bootleg copies if Region 1 or maybe what you are seeing is the LaserDisc version as opposed to DVD?
I just visited eBay. What you saw were Region 4 (Australia) copies which are legit and distributed by Force Video. They even include the trailer!
So much for "exclusive" rights and lack of trailer huh?
Dave... mention that to Mr. Cook when you talk to him Monday!
These are overly infalted prices on eBay for there is a place online offering them for $AU 19.95 ($10.31 US).
Here is the screen shot of the cover:
3556.jpg

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've no idea if the guys at PFE are aware of the overseas copies, but they've been mentioned from time to time at the HTF and The Bits and other online community pages. I was never all that impressed with that cover, so I'm hoping PFE has a better one.
Hell, at this point I hope it's in a keepcase and not a ziploc baggie! :laugh:

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I guess my main concern seeing these overseas versions (there is one for Region 2 as well), is quality.
Can the more well known overseas DVD companies possess a better print that PFE?
Did they clean up or restore their versions?
How did they get ahold of the trailer to add to their disc and PFE didn't when "they" are supposed to hold the rights to the movie? (one can only hope they added this the last minute because I like trailers).
If Tim Cook stated they hold the rights, how can these overseas companies legally produce and sell the same title? (Maybe this is their "technical" problem?)
And how can they sell the disc so much cheaper than PFE?
A little suspicious to me. PFE has been all talk and no action so far.
Has anyone looked into the financial stability of the company yet? I know that some businesses will charge up-front for one specific reason and that is to gain interest on your money while it sits in their bank account. Of course they aren't making millions with the 100 sales they have claimed (an indicator?) but this could be an option for a company in trouble. I have never heard of PFE before and one look at their web site (first impressions) tells me this is a second rate company at best with their web page looking like a 10 year old designed it... Very amaturish - non professional - lack of finances to do better. (I design commercial web sites as a second job and that is "my" impression)
One TFC "fan" board has replied to an e-mail I sent saying the last they heard the disc will ship this week (January 28th). Of course, again, I have heard the same kind of "supposed to" answers from Buena Vista for a year now.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
Steven,

No I was talking about the region 4 dvd's that's why I said if you had a region free player you could check them out. I wish I could find a LD copy of it to add to my LD collection. Anyway, hopefully we'll hear something this week from PFE.

Later

Jim

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Basically, I haven't had time to call with the frequency I wish I could...work's been piling up yesterday and today.

I *have* tried calling, but always got voicemail system for both Tim and Michael. I was reluctant to leave messages, knowing that it is unlikely that they will be returned. I would rather catch them spontaneously and discuss this one-on-one; it's more effective for this type of conversation.

Have tried a couple of times yesterday and a few times today and getting the same results, I finally have left a voicemail for Tim. Although I didn't specify HTF, I did ask "what was the delay?" and "are they definately shipping now?" and "how soon would I get them", and specified that the answers would be passed on to a group of interested people...that the answers are not just for myself.

We'll see if he responds.

Are they "ducking" phone calls? Possibly, espicially if there is still a problem with shipping discs. On the other hand, they might just be in the field, visiting the production house and making sure things happen correctly. Maybe all there is to it is that they're working hard to deliver the product they promised. Maybe.

I'll let you guys know the second I know something. I can't devote enormous amounts of time to this, but I'll do what I can.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
We appreciate what you are doing Dave!

As stated, you are but one person... so if there is such a big following and others concerned about orders, has ANYONE ELSE tried to call these people... anyone in California?

Is Dave the only HTF reader concerned enough to take the time to find out what is happening? An army of "one"?

Come'on guys... let us know your findings!

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I have sent two or three emails, two phone calls, and one fax to PFE. To date, I got a message from Michael that the product was still coming, but that was a couple of months ago. I've received no feedback on the other correspondence. I tried to contact Michael direct but didn't know his extension or last name. The number I called required an extension or a last name to contact Michael. So, that didn't work. I sent the fax to Tim Cook last week based on a suggestion by a poster on this forum. Nothing back on that. I'm still looking forward to this title from PFE. Do not plan to cancel my order, unless PFE comes out and says they are cancelling. I noticed my CC was charged last month for the purchase. I admit I am getting a little discouraged at this point.:frowning:

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
This is really pathetic!
Almost 4,000 hits to read this thread and only a few "different" people have shown any interest in the title to make a post... even after I have pointed out that it appears no one really cares?
Maybe that 3,000 people are interested but only 100 orders figure from PFE could be a true statement after all!
So many people who are all talk and no action.
Let's see now. I too have sent a fax to Tim Cook (who is back now) but his open door to answer everyone's questions must have been only a pacifier? What are our options?
First, checking back at PFE web site I find a small blurb at the bottom of the "What's Happening at PFE?" section. Looking at the copyright date, the file was updated this month. The blurb states:
PFE will be releasing this feature film on DVD and VHS within the next few months at the price of $19.95 (DVD) and $14.95 (VHS), plus tax and shipping and handling. Presale orders (only!) can be placed by calling toll free: 800-804-8009 (within the U.S.) or 714-736-7279 (outside the U.S.).
I wonder if this a true update or something left over? A person by the name of Frank Barron is responsible for the updates.
Here is something from DVDFile's Petition Page:
Title(s): The Final Countdown
Site: Us! We received a nice email from Todd Scherr that Pacific Family Entertainment has the rights to this title, and may put it out if there is sufficient consumer interest. If you are interested in letting them know you want this title on DVD, contact Tim Cook c/o Pacific Family Entertainment 642 South B St. Tustin, CA 92780
Organizer: Todd Scherr
Date Added: July 19, 1999
Note the date on this and you will see it has been an ongoing project for over 2 years!
Also, there was an e-mail link for Tim Cook that was different showing [email protected]
Doing a lookup at Network Solutions didn't turn up anyone new. Both the Organization and Administration contacts were Tim Cook at the main number:

Administrative Contact:
Pacific Family Entertainment LLC
Tim Cook
642 South B Street, Suite A
Tustin, CA 92780
US
Phone: 714-669-4900
Fax..: 714-669-4905
Email: [email protected]

Tim is listed as the Program Executive for the broadcast company. PFE boast of having accumulated over 2,000 feature length films (didn't say own).
Tim Cook was legitimately out of town at a NATPE Convention held in Las Vegas on January 21-24, but should be back now.
Looking at the NATPE membership lists (which they post as being a member of), there is no company by the name of Pacific Family Entertainment listed so they must have a parent company?
They do have a "studio" named Triumph Studios which handles Broadband and cable connection to movies. Tim's name is attached to that one as well but different phone number: 714-669-8500.
They do advertise if you need direction finding the studio, ring extension 221.
Just a bit of hodge-podge info someone may be able to use?

Brian E

Screenwriter
This is really pathetic!

Almost 4,000 hits to read this thread and only a few "different" people have shown any interest in the title to make a post... even after I have pointed out that it appears no one really cares?

Maybe that 3,000 people are interested but only 100 orders figure from PFE could be a true statement after all!

So many people who are all talk and no action.
Maybe many people are like me. I want this movie, but it'd be nice to see a review from somewhere first. It's not important enough to me at this point to make the time to call or fax PFE. I'm fine with direct sales, but every time I read this thread I want to order from them less and less and wait to see if it hits stores. I get the impression that PFE doesn't really know what they are doing in this whole thing. (From both reading this thread and checking their web site they don't seem to have much of a clue). I guess it all boils down to the fact that I don't feel like turning it into a job just so I can give them my money (if that makes sense).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
First, checking back at PFE web site I find a small blurb at the bottom of the "What's Happening at PFE?" section. Looking at the copyright date, the file was updated this month. The blurb states:

PFE will be releasing this feature film on DVD and VHS within the next few months at the price of $19.95 (DVD) and $14.95 (VHS), plus tax and shipping and handling. Presale orders (only!) can be placed by calling toll free: 800-804-8009 (within the U.S.) or 714-736-7279 (outside the U.S.).

I wonder if this a true update or something left over?
"Something left over" is correct. It's the exact same wording from well over two months ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks