What's new

Search for The Final Countdown (1 Viewer)

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
I am going to call again today to verify they received my request for a second copy and will try to get some more answers.

Emil,

Let us know what you find out.

The vibe I got from the second woman I talked to, just bugs me for some reason. Can't really explain it. The whole conversation just ran through my head yesterday a few times.

Jim

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I started to give them my Visa number, but quickly slapped myself into reality. I could give it to them and never actually get anything.

LIke others have said, I haven't been able to get anything on the release either from e-tailers.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I talked to these guys today.
I called the 800# and told them that I was interested in purchasing the DVD, but I didn't have a credit card # and wanted to know when I could buy it in-stores. They lady explained that they were just a subcontracted order-taking center (in fact, when she answered she mistook which company was associated with what incoming phone line, started to say a different company name, and corrected herself mid-word, then put me on hold for a second to get herself straight :) ). She gave me a phone # at the actual PFE offices that I could call and ask about.
The number was 714/669-4900, x230. I got an answering machine, so I punched "0" and got a receptionist, so I asked her for someone to speak to about The Final Countdown. She promptly transferred me to "Michael".
I explained to Michael that I wanted to buy the DVD, and perhaps one for my brother (this pre-Top Gun film inspired my bro' to join the Navy, as I told him...true story). I passed on to Michael that I don't order via phone by Credit Card, and that I wanted to walk into a store and buy it. Michael explained to me that they are looking into what it would take to get it into stores, but that they had been waiting to gauge interest first. I explained that there was LOTS of interest for this. I mentioned the HTF, but also my co-workers and all the folks at the Navy Base in Millington, TN, which is on the north end of Memphis. He laughed and explained that it was plain to him how much interest there was, as he was busy processing orders and writing invoices (I get the impression that Michael is not exactly a "peon" there at PFE, but not exactly an exec either...perhaps a supervisor in the order-processing dept.).
Michael couldn't exactly tell me when to expect to see it in-stores (like, say, Best Buy) or, for that matter, at places like Amazon. I asked "could it be within a couple of months" and he said that it depends on how quick things moved. I *really* get the impression that they are - just a couple of days into the "release" - really overwhelmed by how big this is going to be and that they are now saying to themselves "hey, we gotta get this mass-produced and into the stores!".
I talked with Michael about how this disc was really made in-house and they didn't expect the interest. I brought up the idea that Image could maybe distribute this for them, since they did such a good job with Short Circuit.
Michael, when asked, explained that this disc has JUST the film on it, in widescreen and 5.1, but nothing else. No trailer. No supplements. Nothing but the film; "bare-bones". At least now. When I asked if there could be a Special Edition later on, he said that the interest was certainly making it look like a possibility. I asked him, "just between us", since there was so much out on DVD that looked like garbage, what he thought of the picture quality. We both acknowledged that he works for the company that's trying sell it, but he seems to be honest when he calls the picture "excellent". I must say, though, that he didn't give me examples or compare it to anything else. Who knows if he is qualified to judge the picture?
In any case, he said that if I wanted to order it by check, I should send a personal check with a total calculated in this manner:
( ($19.95) x QUANTITY ) + (My Local Sales Tax) + ($4.50 S&H per address) = TOTAL
I'm not sure if charging sales tax is the right thing for them to do, but then I'm not up on the current laws. He might've just be covering his ass when he said that.
He said that the check should be mailed to:
Pacific Family Entertainment
642 South B Street
Suite A
Tustin, CA 92780
And that a letter should accompany that check which explains EXACTLY what is being ordered and what address to send it to. I assume money orders and cashiers checks are okay if personal checks are, since they are more secure than a personal check!
Orders, once received by either mail or by phone at the 800#, take 1-1½ weeks to ship via UPS ground service. Michael did point out that the processing might get slowed down by the higher-than-anticipated ordering traffic.
My bottom-line thoughts about this. I spent 13 years of retail dealing with folks like this. Small-time operations who made a product that they didn't realize was gonna explode on them. I think that they're legit, just perhaps a bit naive about the state of the DVD market today and the desire for '80's movies like this one.
I still am a bit nervous about the picture quality on this one. I think I will wait for some of the HTFers who have already ordered this to get their copies and let us all know whether this passes muster or now.
Assuming that it's cool-looking, I will have no qualms in placing an order for this puppy from them. OTOH, by then there might be an in-store distro deal OR an SE going on.
Peace out,

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Jim,

I got tied up in meetings today nad did not get the chance to call PFE. I have tomorrow off (YEAH!) so I will be calling tomorrow and will post what I find. The whole thing just feels strange but I have seen things like this before (although never with a DVD).

HankM

Second Unit
I will order this after someone in here or at the Digital Bits reviews it first. I'm a little scared about the transfer:frowning:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was the one who alerted PFE about Final Countdown. It was only after speaking to a rep at Bryna Productions(it is either Kirk or Michael Douglas' production company) did I find out who owns the rights. When I contacted PFE. I was lucky to speak to one of the head guys there. He knew they had the rights, they just did not think it would be that popular. After getting his permission. I posted their email address on this and other sites and told people to email them that they wanted it. After getting a positive response. He told me that they were either going to go to a third party (ie-Anchor Bay,Image, etc) or do it themselves. Well after a few months he said negotiations had not gone well and they would do it themselves.
I am going with David Lambert's opinion on this. That they are a small company who did not think it would be as big as it is. Although, I have heard their are some extras on the disc. I took a chance and purchased 2 copies for me and my father. I know if their is a problem, I can always dispute it with my credit card company.
You figure that it was because of my inquiries that got this going that they would have at least sent me a free copy. ;)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Copped this fresh from the Bits page:

----------------

"...I called PFE to ask why I haven't received my DVD yet since they charged my credit card two weeks ago. I was told that was their policy and that even though the release date was yesterday, it was going to be delayed "a couple of days." He then told me "we haven't exactly had an influx of orders so we had to adjust a little." I haven't any idea what that means but when I asked him when I could expect to received the DVD, he said, "well, to be safe, I'd wait two more weeks."

----------------

Im wondering if they were hoping to use 'massive' CC pre-orders to finance the first pressing of FC....and that has not happened-yet.

Edit: Im sure that PFE are likely honest people, its just that they are probably in over their heads on this....

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The "company" has been in business for many years according to their web site... even though their web site looks like an amature did it.
I still have reservations with a company who wants to charge you up front and keeps feeding you a line that "it is coming" but keeps pushing the date back.
Remember a few years ago when the computer "freebie" Enchilada came and went with its scam? They ran full page ads in major newspapers covering many cities as well as TV and radio ads. But when it came to deliver the goods, only a handful of people received their PC and they were junk!
To me, this DVD deal have overtones of just this type of transaction.
Buyer Beware! I will believe it when I see it!

Matthew H

Second Unit
I guess nobody's gotten it yet. :frowning:
I'm a little awry in sending them a check in the mail (no matter how bad I want this title). I don't know, but I might wait awhile.

Rich E

Agent
i'm getting a very bad feeling

part of me says be patient, this is an old movie, these people don't realize it has a cult following.

part of me says "unite the forum and ride these people in the ground".

tough choice.

just out of curiousity, did anyone have the presence of mind to get a tracking number from these "mom and pop" criminals?

Rich E

Agent
ps forward this one all the way to the top. Keep this in the main eye of the forum. We may have to boycott, at the very least hunt these people down like the ruthless savages that they are. Only time will tell.

All this for a movie, "has life gotten that bad" guess so.

In a perfect world, none of us would care about a "b" grade sci-fi flick from 1980.

something to ponder

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rich E, my post was meant to reassure everyone that this is going to be legit. These guys might just not know what the f* they're doing, on several levels. So the customer service might not be superb. But they're not scamming us, in my opinion. It doesn't feel to me like they're rip-off artists. And I should know better than the average HTFer, as I spent 13 years in retail management dealing with firms like these on a regular basis.
I'm more concerned about the quality of the video than I am about whether my order would be fulfilled. That's the only hold-off for me. The second I get a thumbs-up on the image, I'm calling them and placing my order.
How do I know this? I called *PFE*. I did NOT call the 800# and talk to the order-takers. THEY DON'T WORK FOR PFE! They work for a company that does nothing but take orders for various production houses. One minute they answer the phone call coming in on line 23 as "Pacific Family Entertainment". A couple minutes later they might get a call on line 36 and answer the phone as "Home Shopping Network" and take an order for Ginsu knives! If you get a "funny feeling" from talking to these folks at the 800#, IT IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW JACK SHIT! They are NOT SUPPOSED TO! They are just there to take orders and do nothing else.
If you can't invest in a long-distance phone call to PFE and talk to them yourself, then I suggest that all you pessimists should not talk about these guys like they're scamming everyone until we get the benefit of experience from those who actually placed orders.
Noone at PFE ever indicated that orders placed before 1/15 would get arrival at the delivery destination on that date. That date is the first day that PFE received stock themselves, and so orders begin to get filled on that day.
Effectively, the "street date" for this title is 1/29 (10 business days after they start to fill orders). I will wait until then, and see if HTFers get their orders filled, before I pass any judgement myself. I hope everyone else will refrain as well. :D Thanks!

David,

Thanks for your post. I for one never worried about getting the release after I paid for it. I always have been worried about the tight-lipness of this release.

I just assumed that when I dialed the number I was calling PFE. When I asked about the release and specs, she told me what she had and that it shipped yesterday. She then transferred me to someone for me to order. I was a little taken back at the ordering process, but after I hung up, I thought that it probably was just an order line that she transfered me to.

Thanks for clearing it up!!

Jim

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator
I called PFE and talked to the operator,who told me they are having technical problems and may delay the movie for another week or so. I wonder,did John Sparks go to PFE to buy a copy,and what was the outcome if he did ?

Richard Ringenbach

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Stopped by the business today after work and this is what I found out. It's called Pacific Family Entertainment Company-Television Syndication-Production Services-Technical Support. It's been around for about 20 years and serves film and private industry. The owner, Tim Cook, said that he acquired the copyrights to TFC and had about 3,000 people interested in it, but only about 100 orders. As of right now, they are having technical problems, he wouldn't elaborate, but did say all would get refunds. The secretary's name is Wilma and the phone number is 714-669-4900 and the fax is 4905.
I told him about what was being said about his company on different sites on the net and he said he would welcome all calls and faxes to explain.
Good luck!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks