What's new

Sealed AV12 sub questions (1 Viewer)

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking of building a low Q sealed sub with down-firing Stryke AV12 driver. I have a few questions about the design, and would appreciate some help!

First I am going to try to get a Q of 0.55. Is this too low for a music only system?

In WinISD this calls for a 70 liter cabinet. So I designed the cabinet on paper with 1” MDF and with braces and got my inside volume to about 70 liters. It came out to be 27” tall, 16” square on the sides. A few questions:

Do I still need to use polyfill if my inside volume is already correct? Should I just line the walls? How much effect on the Q would lining the walls have?

What wood glue should I use?

Should I make the baffle any thicker than 1”?

How tall should the legs be for a down-firing sub?

Could someone please check my design in WinISD? I just want to make sure it is correct before I proceed in any way…

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Should be great for music, IMO. Yes, 70 liters is a .55Q. To keep the enclosure size down a bit, you could make a 56 liter box and use stuffing to attain the .55Q.

Titebond II is my choice for wood glue.

If you surface mount the driver, 1" should be fine for a panel that size. Legs should probably be no less than 3".

Pete

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the bump Joel!

Thanks for the info Pete! I really appreciate the help!

How would I know how much polyfill to use? I don't have any test equipment...

Thanks again!

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
1 to 1 1/4 lb/ft^3 polyfill to get maximum apparant Vb increase. So, if you make a 56 liter net volume enclosure, use 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. They are normally found in 20 oz packages, so buy 2 and throw it in there.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks