What's new

Sea Hunt (1 Viewer)

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I would get a different case for those disks. Sony did something similar a few years ago. Very shoddy in my opinion

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
cajunhillbilly said:
I would get a different case for those disks. Sony did something similar a few years ago. Very shoddy in my opinion
I am definitely going to do that! Watched the first 2 episodes of Season 4 Disc 1 last night; the picture and sound quality are quite good. Darby

Charles H

Screenwriter
Video quality is exemplary. The show itself is ingenuous from a financial point of view (2/3 of the show is underwater and Lloyd Bridges' narration gives it a semi-documentary quality. No big" guest stars" like many of the other shows of the period (except Dorthy, Beau, and Jeff, Robert Conrad, and Jack Nicholson).

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I guess the "cheapness" of this classic tv series collection is not the DVDs but in the packaging. Sony still stacks DVDs one on top of another on a single spindle which is certainly not the most desirable means of containment to be sure but for the asking price there had to be some expected savings scrimping somewhere. I discovered that my order had been placed as early as last October. Pertaining to guest stars Leonard Nimoy is another who appeared on the show. Of course the biggest star was (likely) Lloyd Bridges himself. Jeff T. :D

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I received from Amazon Seasons 2,3, and 4. Season 1 was delayed, but just today, I got notification that it has shipped. The quality is superb. I skimmed through the sets, and all the episodes seem uncut, running close to 26 minutes, with the Bridge's (end bumpers) in tact. I am delighted. With the MGM logo on the box, they are legit and obviously come from the masters. I was worried that the 1st Season was slightly delayed, but it is on its way. If anyone has this first season, were they able to put the two color pilots on, and in color I should say, as they were originally shown in black and white? My other two Zivs would be HIGHWAY PATROL and SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE. I have the MGM MOD of Patrol's first season and it looks very good. I think SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE only had color for the 1st season and went to filmed black and white for the second and concluding season.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
John, so is there only a single DVD in each season package as it states on the Amazon site? I was worried that this would affect the quality of the episodes, but I guess it doesn't. I'll be ordering mine today. Thank you for the heads up!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
John Morgan said:
I received from Amazon Seasons 2,3, and 4. Season 1 was delayed, but just today, I got notification that it has shipped. The quality is superb. I skimmed through the sets, and all the episodes seem uncut, running close to 26 minutes, with the Bridge's (end bumpers) in tact. I am delighted. With the MGM logo on the box, they are legit and obviously come from the masters. I was worried that the 1st Season was slightly delayed, but it is on its way. If anyone has this first season, were they able to put the two color pilots on, and in color I should say, as they were originally shown in black and white? My other two Zivs would be HIGHWAY PATROL and SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE. I have the MGM MOD of Patrol's first season and it looks very good. I think SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE only had color for the 1st season and went to filmed black and white for the second and concluding season.
Add The Cisco Kid to that mix!!!! :D

dvdking

Auditioning
Real Name
tom
Ed, there are 5 discs in each set. Just like John I received seasons 2-4, with season 1 coming next week. From what I've seen so far these sets are great. Tom

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Thank you,Tom! Now I'm really excited about these releases. Whew, that one disc business really had me worried.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Season Two arrived today; still waiting to hear word on when Season one will ship from Amazon. I am really enjoying the episodes! Darby

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I received an email today from Amazon that estimated delivery for Season One was on or after March 7th. Darby

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
This decision will be 50-50 for me, to get the TGG sets since I just received a detailed picture-Q report from a friend that received the TGG set and compared them to the ones that were captured off "THIS" TV. I also have the "THIS" channel TV series set. My friend said that the TGG picture Q is a little better then the captures but it's not a big difference. The biggest improvement is the absence of the Sta bug's with the TGG sets although, for me, the TV Sta bugs for this particular series isn't too intrusive. If the TGG sets had been remastered (ie, similar to typical CBS releases, etc), I'd have bought these without hesitation, but the pricepoints are great. Kudos to TGG for offering these sets at fantastic pricepoints. Regardless of my coin-flip decision on the TGG sets, it's always good news to get a pressed release for the classic tv shows. Glad for those of you that didn't have a captured off-air set of this series.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Ed Lachmann said:
John, so is there only a single DVD in each season package as it states on the Amazon site? I was worried that this would affect the quality of the episodes, but I guess it doesn't. I'll be ordering mine today. Thank you for the heads up!
No. The season Boxes holds 2 standard size DVD cases marked Volume 1 and Volume 2. Volume 1 holds 3 DVDs and Volume 2 holds 2 DVDs, so 5 discs per season.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
It seems to me the way the seasons are presented, they must have originally had a plan to divide the seasons in two parts to sell them separately. As it now stands, their price for an entire season is around $13, and the episodes look very good and seemingly uncut. The boxes do take a bit of space, but that is okay with me. How I wish THE REAL McCOYS could be redone with unedited episodes with a similar price point, as well a THE RIFLEMAN and a few other ZIV series.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
My entire SEA HUNT (Syndicated 1958-61) shipment of all four seasons is dependent solely upon the availability of season one (1958) but I am not especially impatient on this so I'll just have to wait. Thus far the advance member reports sound most encouraging indeed. I was happy with the sales price and hopefully will be just as pleased with the actual quality of the product. Jeff T. :rolleyes:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Darby67 said:
I ordered all 4 seasons from Amazon for $12.99 each on Monday January 28th. Seasons 3 and 4 arrived today. I received an email today stating that Season 2 should arrive around February 13th. No word yet on when I'll receive Season 1. I will start watching them tomorrow. The packaging is rather interesting; Volume 1 for both seasons has three discs stacked on a single spindle (I've honestly never seen this before) and yet none of the 3 discs for both volumes are scratched. Volume 2 for both seasons has two discs on separate spindles. Disc 4 of Season 4 came scratched so I will be returning it for a replacement after I have viewed the other four discs. This was a blind buy, so I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with Sea Hunt. Darby[/quote I had a similar problem with season 2 . I got the from CD Universe for $11.40 per season.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by younger1968
how is this show? It looks interesting and welcome people's thoughts!!
I watched the show when it was on This-TV. I enjoyed it at first, but after a while, I found the episodes to be a bit repetitive for me. For example, there are many episodes where Mike spots some bad guys doing something sneaky under water like hiding money or discovering a sunken ship or up to no good, and Mike would try to stop them. Another plot would have somebody trapped underwater and Mike would try to rescue them. Plus, the underwater scenes, while unique at first, gets boring because its not like when a character travels on land and goes to different towns or cities like Highway Patrol or Route 66. The underwater shots looks the same in each episode because the ocean looks like the ocean wherever you go. I was thinking about buying a season but I don't think I need to collect the whole series. But that's just my tastes.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I saw a best of collection back around Christmas that might be a better buy for you. I think some of your complaints are something shared by many a tv series though. Some are worse and have just one or two basic plotlines followed by 90%+ of the episodes. And adding to the monotony of the underwater scenes is the fact that many of the "unique" things that do stand out to the viewer get widely recycled. If I could change anything, it would've been that and I would've wanted a unique end segment for every episode instead of just three or four differentpieces with Lloyd Bridges that are repeated at the end of each episode. Great show that I'm glad to see make it out though. But I'm puzzled how it ever did scuba diving's popularity any good like it's said it did. You would think after watching a few episodes that there's someone behind every rock under water with a knife in hand just waiting to kill you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks