What's new

Sea Hunt (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The Obsolete Man said:
I'd even be accepting of these "24 hour marathon" releases as long as they included the episodes in broadcast or production order.
For example, there are 24 episodes of Bat Masterson already on DVD... The new box set could be the next 60 episodes after what's already released, and I'd be thrilled with that.
That would suit me fine; Sea Hunt would have been a day one purchase if they'd do the whole series in order. Maybe they should look for shows that only have 24 episodes in the first place??
I guess in their very interesting business model, they are trying to emulate cable and local stations that do "24 hour marathons" of popular shows, usually on a holiday weekend. Perhaps they expect we will find a nice 24 hour chunk of time and put in their dvds and marathon them till we drop.
But if any of us was possessed to do such a thing, I think we'd rather all have the entire series at our disposal and should we wish to actually sit there for a 24 hour stretch, we'd like to pick the episodes ourselves.
I can only hope these sets are just testing the waters for these particular shows, and that season sets will be forthcoming. I'm disappointed for now--they sure have some good shows to offer! But I don't think like best-of sets and I think the majority of forum members don't care for them either.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man /t/281737/sea-hunt#post_3979000
I'd even be accepting of these "24 hour marathon" releases as long as they included the episodes in broadcast or production order.
For example, there are 24 episodes of Bat Masterson already on DVD... The new box set could be the next 60 episodes after what's already released, and I'd be thrilled with that.
I could live with that. However, when we start hearing about 24 episodes, then 60 episodes, one gets the idea that there hasn't been a plan developed to release all of the episodes in any kind of order, or any attempt to avoid double dipping. I hope I'm wrong about all of this.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I don't care for "best of" Box sets. I prefer Entire series. "Best of" Sets often leave out important episodes that often happened because of one thing or another. For example the Official Best of Lassie set left out the episode that explained how the dog wound up switching ownership from Timmy to the Forest Rangers. (Timmy's Father got a Business Oppurtunity in Australia, unfortunately that Country had a Quarentine Law that was too strict to bring Lassie, so she was left behind). I'd rather have the whole nine yards.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
ChrisALM said:
Season sets are the standard for TV on DVD releases. Consumers are accepting and appreciative of this. Why at this stage of the game we have companies, especially the smaller ones, that seem oblivious to this, I don't understand. Maybe there is a reason, but what is it? I would like to have both of these shows, but what do I get with these releases. 24 hour marathon? - that doesn't mean anything to me for a DVD release.
I don't mean to come across as overly critical - just why can't we get these released as season sets or a complete series?
I agree. That's what Image used to do when they started putting out tv on dvd. They started with the Twilight Zone sets and I Spy sets of episodes in random order until apparently enough people complained.
Has anyone tried to contact TGG regarding this? They have several email contacts on their website.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Sea Hunt has been around before on DVD as a set but I am not sure how many episodes. It was from a mob who sold TV series and old films. It might have been Vintage Playhouse.I haven't seen the name around lately but that doesn't mean much.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ChrisALM said:
I could live with that. However, when we start hearing about 24 episodes, then 60 episodes, one gets the idea that there hasn't been a plan developed to release all of the episodes in any kind of order, or any attempt to avoid double dipping. I hope I'm wrong about all of this.
Going by the In The Heat of the Night episode listing, no episodes from the first season that has already been released are being repeated on the new box set.
With any luck, no episodes from the two Bat Masterson first season releases will get repeated, either.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Obsolete Man said:
Going by the In The Heat of the Night episode listing, no episodes from the first season that has already been released are being repeated on the new box set.
With any luck, no episodes from the two Bat Masterson first season releases will get repeated, either.
Hopefully so. :cool:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Well, If they are going to split releases between small best-of then these box sets, it's going to confuse people.
But it does solve the lop-sided box set.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Regulus said:
/t/281737/sea-hunt#post_3979121
If we can somehow get all the episodes from these shows (Sea Hunt and Bat Masterson), I'll be getting these releases.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested in purchasing both Bat Masterson and Sea Hunt but not interested in Best of's at all. So I will pass on these and purchase season sets if and when they are released.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Information on Sea Hunt Seasons 1 through 4: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sea-Hunt-Seasons-1-through-4/17627
Darby

JeffT.

Deceased Member
How in the name of time can an entire season be placed on a single disc? That's impossible, isn't?! Surely this is an (unintended) error. Is there a prior precedent for this? If a "serious" DVD release of SEA HUNT is pending them I am certainly in.
Jeff T.
:rolleyes:

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
It will probably be more like 4 or 5 disks. If Amazon does not have the number of disks from the manufacturer they will put in 1 until they do get that info.

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick
Great News About An Official DVD Release Of Sea Hunt, It Was About 45 Years Ago That It Was Last On The TV Over Here. Pre Ordered It Yesterday, There Are 5 Discs In Each Series And At 50 Bucks It Will Put The Bootleggers At Amazon Out Of Business As Far As Sea Hunt Is Concerned.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Surely someone will be getting the SEA HUNT or BAT MASTERSON 24 hour marathon "preview" editions due out this Tuesday and we will be better able to ascertain the actual quality of the video transfers used.
If they are as good as the Shout! Factory DENNIS THE MENACE tv series DVD sets then I will be happy. If they are in better condition fully restored and digitally remastered I will be even happier. But at such a cheap price how good could they really be?
I have preordered all four seasons but I am ready to bail out if this proves to be a disappointment.
The suspense mounts!
Jeff T.
:rolleyes:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm waiting for the reviews before I order my copies. If they come out positive, I will get a set with my "Santa Money". :D
Let's see a release of Ripcord next! :tu:

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
When Bat Masterson ran on Encore Westerns a while back, I remember the video quality being pretty good. However, I don't remember if they were uncut.

If Sea Hunt matches the quality of Bat Masterson, I will be happy on that issue and I hope both series are released uncut. With a small company like this, I have more of a concern about quality. Car 54 was released by a smaller company at a reasonable price, so it can happen. I plan to get both of these releases if the reviews are positive.

And I'm with you on Ripcord, William.

S

silverking

Both Bat Masreson & Sea Hunt should be about 25/6 mins each. Masterson had runs on the now defunct ,I believe, Lone Star Channel & Encore westerns in recent years.The Lone Star versions were cut but the Encore were uncut. Sea Hunt also ran on another channel some years back & the versions I have seen were uncut. Both were good quality prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks