What's new

SDTV/EDTV - 480p capability but not a HDTV suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I'm in a situation where true HD sources are questionable, at best.
Satellite? My apartment in D.C. has no southern exposure, let alone a balcony.
Antenna? I played around with analog signals, and while some come in, I don't know if I'm willing to risk dealing with interference issues.
Cable? BWAHAHA... yes, it's a joke.
At any rate, the best signal I can provide to a television right now is 480p from a DVD. My question is, are there any affordable SDTV/EDTV alternatives to a HDTV that can tide me over for some years until I can get high def?
Aaron Thomas
GOOD: Making sure your first post is polite.
BAD: Asking how I can get by on mid-grade technology.
UGLY (joke): Guess it will go well with my Sony DB receiver!

Aaron Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
I'm so sorry - THIS is what I meant.
Do reasonably priced SDTVs (or EDTV's) EXIST?
I know that I can get, for example, 43" of Toshiba HDTV at BB for $1800 or so - but since I won't be using 720p or 1080i for a couple of years, are there any sets that only have 480i/480p capability for less than the price of a HDTV of similar size?
Aaron Thomas
Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

Taka

Agent
Well,
If you don't mind not having a flat screen, the Hitachi UDX-10S has 480p/1080i capability. Looks awesome when playing anamorphic DVDs, comes in a 32 and 36" size.
I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but that's what I purchased- $1199 before tax and delivery. Circuit City carries them, I got mine from a local A/V shop that I like better than the big chains.
Taka

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks