What's new

SDAT CAT LEB-404 Speakers. Are these good or a scam?? (1 Viewer)

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone ever heard of this brand?? The price is really low. The speakers look good. What about the specs below? Do they tell you anything useful? They are only $100.00.

Manufacturer Website: http://www.sdatgroup.com/hifispeaker/hifispeaker.htm
LEB-404 Hi-Fi Speaker

Engineered and designed in Germany . With its exclusive black/wooden finish, the LEB-404 Hi-Fi Floor Standing Speaker Set from CAT® is sure to be a pleasure to look out. Also delivers powerful and rich sound. Either, with its 3-way build system that really packs a punch!

Product Features:

Sensitivity: 80db
Impedance: 4-8 ohms
Frequency response: 20Hz - 20kHz (+/-3dB)

Product details:

Number of Speakers per package: 2
Maximum Power Handling: 440 Watts
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz (+/-3dB)
Crossover Type: Bass reflex
Tweeter: 1” x 1 silk
Middle Range: 4" x 1 polymer
Bass: 6.5”x 2 (one on the side)
Finish: Black or Wood
Product Height: 34”
Product Width: 8”
Product Length: 9.5”
Product Weight: 38 LBS
Shipping Weight: 43 LBS
Warranty terms: parts 1 Year
Warranty terms: labor 1 Year

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The only thing that concerns me about their specs is they claim 20Hz with 6-1/2" drivers. That is going to be rather difficult, and all but impossible in a $100 speaker. IMO, they are not a scam, but they are not going to sound any better than any other $100 speakers out there. They also say 80dB efficient, which means if they are not a scam, they will require plenty of power.

You're relatively local, I can help you put together a system if you like.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if I have ever seen 80db speakers. That is really ineffecient. They sell them at Ubid every day. I don't think they are a "scam" I think they probably just suck. Look at what you "appear" to be getting for $100. Seems a little to good to be true

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
Their website indentifies them as a Mainland Chinese OEM. They can build anything you want at any price you want if the quanity is right. It would surpirse me if there is a speaker in their inventory that cost more than a buck. High Fidelity is not what they do.
The website should give you some idea how Target can sell a namebrand Boombox for $30 and make a $15 - $20 profit.

David

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm kinda itchin' to buy a pair of their speakers just to open them up and look at the innards.

Actually, I'm sometimes shocked at the seemingly poor build quality and especially driver quality found in some speakers by DCM and BIC and such. They sound pretty good nonetheless though.

I'm bettin' these SDAT products are no worse.

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan--
Please buy a pair and let me know what you think of the speaker quality, build quality, and sound quality.

You can get them from Overstock.com for $95.99 + $2.95 shipping.

I am curious too to know about their performance. They have quite a few different models.

Thanks,

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I just ordered a pair for $67 SHIPPED. I should get them on Monday and will post on how they sound.
Can't be worse then my H/K tiny cubes i will be replacing these with (front L/R on my HKTS3 5.1 system. Should fill in the mids MUCH better then a 3.5" cube front sattelite.
If they are worse, then off to ebay or my parents (who could care less how they sound) they will go :)

$67 was worth a shot to find out -)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Mikey,

I dropped you an e-mail. I checked out the web site and they were all $100-200. Which model did you purchase?

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I got the CAT LEB-404. Arrived last nite. They are def cheapie speakers, not very heavy or big. That being said, they are worth the $50 I paid for them (+ ship). I am using them as front L/R in a 5.1 setup and they are a def improvement over my little front cubes.
Bass seems weak, but then again I havent really played around with my receiversettings and I do have a sub. For me, they work for my needs.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I have not opened them up yet.
I really would not know the difference to be honest. What should I be looking for?

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Most noticeable on cheap drivers are small magnets (if they're the ceramic type) as compared to the magnets on good quality drivers of the same size. However, even drivers that appear to be cheap can sound quite good, such as the ones in my several pairs of DCM monitors and BIC bookshelfs and floorstanders. Foam surrounds, as opposed to rubber surrounds, are common on cheap drivers, too. Although, there are some good drivers out there that use foam (foam quality varies ,too). Some things you can't see are magnet strength and voice coil construction, including gaps and length.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Nathan,

Nice job on the pictures for your new speakers.

Mikey,

What do you think of the sound of your new speakers after a few days?

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Certainly can't beat them for the price I paid.
Highs are fiarly bright, but not overbeaing, decent mids. Not overly abundant low end, but I don't really have them set up that way.
MUCH better then my HK front L/R cubes they replaced (in my application anyway). I would say you need a sub with them, but otherwise, I am enjoying them for $65 shipped.

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
I looked but could not find Nathan's thread regarding foreign speakers. Please give me a link.
Thanks,

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Derek, They were of a different speaker. Entitled something like "This is what I got for $210-shipped" or something like that-posted yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks