What's new

SCROOGE (Albert Finney) is coming this October to Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
You have another confirmation on those two deleted scenes. They did exist (at one point). If anyone else can confirm, or better yet like Ethan suggested are in a position to provide visual confirmation, please add to this discussion.

I'll ask my friend who was in the movie. I don't know if he will know since he wouldn't have been in those scenes.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
3de315a2_htfscroogegen.jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Very interested in picking up this title. Saw the news of a blu ray release coming in October!
I was a bit surprised, but am very happy with the news. I will be picking it up and retiring my DVD copy!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Aside from White Christmas does Paramount have any other Christmas titles on blu ray?
I thought of this when I was trying to reason why they would release Scrooge on blu ray.
Anyway. A Christmas Carol is a decent seller I would think in general. Plus getting it out in October for the Christmas shopping season.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Tim Haxton said:
Aside from White Christmas does Paramount have any other Christmas titles on blu ray?
It's a Wonderful Life was released by Paramount of blu-ray on a prior Christmas season.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
JoHud said:
It's a Wonderful Life was released by Paramount of blu-ray on a prior Christmas season.
Good call. I picked that one up too. Will Scrooge be their 3rd Christmas blu ray title then?

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
While I in no way claim to be an expert on this film, it is both my favorite version of ACC and my favorite movie musical. I grew up watching it on TV where I watched every broadcast that I was able to. There have never been any additional scenes in any of those broadcasts. I am reasonably sure of that.
The movie was typically cut to 100 minutes. Depending on which station you watched it on, various musical numbers either would or wouldn't be there. The hell sequence was always cut as were various non-musical bits and pieces. In the 1990's, the movie was re-issued to syndication (and cable) in it's full uncut version (minus overture and exit music).
In all honesty, where would the additional scenes go? The WANT and IGNORANCE scene goes right before Christmas Present leaves Scrooge but this version has no room to put the scene in! After leaving his newphew's, Scrooge sings a brief reprise of "Happiness", then he and the spirit converse for bit and then Scrooge is back in his bedroom. The conversation is tightly written, filmed and edited and leaves no room for anything additional. Besides, the conversation makes the point without the need for the children. Having them in the scene would throw off the pacing and balance of the entire scene.
The "bedcurtains" scene goes before Scrooge visits the Cratchits in the future. Again, there is no room for the scene. After the "Thank You Very Much" number, the spirit clearly points to the Cratchit residence which Scrooge goes to. After listening to the conversation within, Scrooge asks where Tiny Tim is. We then go straight to the cemetary and from there to the hell sequence. Again, where would the "bedcurtains" scene fit in?
Both scenes exist in other versions of ACC so it's not unlikely for the various versions to get mixed up in people's minds. However, I will keep an open mind about the subject.
Scrooge never had an intermission. Just an Overture and Exit music. The movie runs under 2 hours so an intermission wasn't necessary.
Diffusion filters were used to create a foggy appearance for the movie. Dickens describes the fog as "so thick it poured through every keyhole." I like how this movie looks and wouldn't change it for the world.
The movie was remastered in the 1990's and those transfers still look fine. Unless Paramount uses poor elements, we should be fine. Hopefully they will get the 5.1 right and not mix the dialogue in all three front channels as is becoming all too common on catalog releases (Beauty & Beast, Flash Gordon). But White Christmas came out OK so I feel confident Scrooge will sound just fine.
This will be the sixth version of this movie I'll have owned:
VHS (no longer have...I wore it out!)
Laserdisc (LBX edition of course!)
DVD
DVD from HD broadcast (given to me by a friend...looks sharper and more detailed then the official DVD!)
16mm film print (Mint condition with color no video transfer comes close to! Missing Overture and Exit music as it's a TV print, uncut otherwise.)
Hope this post helped clear some things up!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Tom. This was the version of the story that had the greatest impact on me when I was growing up, so I watched it every time I could catch it on TV. I remember when I was finally able to score a copy of it on VHS and see the Hell scene that had always been cut on television. Those apocryphal extra scenes simply wouldn't fit within the editing framework of the film. I can't wait until the BD comes out! :)

LCD22

Screenwriter
The theatrical trailer has been included in HD.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Scrooge-Blu-ray/27036/#Review

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ChrisCook /t/279421/scrooge-albert-finney-is-coming-this-october-to-blu-ray/60#post_3856215
The theatrical trailer has been included in HD.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Scrooge-Blu-ray/27036/#Review
Glad the trailer is included. I read the review which appears to a very good review, but did not see if they included the Overture. I hope they do.

LCD22

Screenwriter
ahollis said:
Glad the trailer is included.  I read the review which appears to a very good review, but did not see if they included the Overture.  I hope they do. 

I'm right now on Blu-ray.com asking Jeffrey Kauffman that very question.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Funny. Been communicating with Jeffrey Kaufman
about his review as well.

He did an EXCEPTIONAL job with that review. Very
well written.

Jefffey just wrote back and said that there is no overture
on the Blu-ray release.

So now I am thinking. Was there one included on the
DVD release? I thought there was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks