1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen / Center Channel question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brooks, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Brooks

Brooks Member

I'm to the point of installing my in-wall speakers in my HT and need to decide on a screen. It's a front projector set up
    I can have the center channel slightly off-center left to right and above the screen. It's tweeter is "focusable" to aim it at the seating area. In this configuration I can use a retractable screen

OR I can spend more $$ for a permanent mounted micro-perf screen.
    In that case I can have the cc exactly in the middle of the screen at seated listening height.

Aesthetically I prefer the former. Any experience with how much better the sound location will be with the latter?

Thanks!

2. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Well-Known Member

actually, it is better acoustically to have the center slightly off center than to have it exactly centered, left to right. additionally, micro-perf screens are certainly less desireable both audio and video wise than a non-perf screen, video can be especially affected with a digital projector. looks like your prefered choice is, performance wise, the better choice.[​IMG]

3. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Well-Known Member

Why is it better, acoustically, not to have the speaker centered? Given that sounds become more directional as the frequency increases, I would think that having the center 'centered' would be most desireable.

RG

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    Is it not possible to have the centre speaker above or velow the retractable screen? I agree that the perf screen may introduce some aliasing with some digital projectors.