What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, thanks for the link to the article. History has not been kind! Interesting how historians today are not as taken with Camelot. Star Trek certainly knew how to recycle and reuse set dressing and props and did it well! Costumes too! Here's a quicky question that I didn't take time yet to fully vet out. Name all the times Captain Kirk's fitness for command is questioned?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just dropping in briefly for a question that I might be able to answer. One that immediately comes to mind is The Enemy Within.

- Walter.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,Nice of you to drop in. :)Nelson,

How about The Naked Time and (if only briefly) This Side Of Paradise?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see you here Walter! You guys are challenging my list of answers!Scott, I had The Naked Time as a maybe. My criteria for the question are if someone calls Kirk on his ability to command. In The Naked Time, no one actually calls him on it, because everyone had the disease. I'm afraid the same for This Side of Paradise. Kirk pulls himself out of both situations to regain command. Lee, your theories do tally with mine! The Enterprise Incident counts. I had not thought of Conscience of the King. I don't think anyone actually calls Kirk on it. Spock does snoop around and Kirk wasn't too pleased by that and McCoy backs up Spock. Did they call him on it?Walter, that's a point for The Enemy Within. I'm not sure about Children Shall Lead, I had not thought of that one. Kirk starts loosing it in the turbo lift, but Spock takes Kirk's beast away. So I guess it's true he did loose his ability to command briefly, but no one called him on it. I'm not sure how to call that one, based on the criteria. What do you guys think?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
OK, I think I see the distinction. The only questionable one I would reexamine is And the Children Shall Lead. It isn't spoken aloud, but Spock does start to "watch" Kirk obviously enough that Kirk has to point out that he is fine and that his "beast" will not return.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If there is any doubt Nelson, then strike And the Children Shall Lead. It's not like there are big prizes at stake. :)

Just occasionally participating in a thread in which I am usually out of my depth, compared to the regulars, regarding all things Star Trek.

- Walter.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter Kittel said:
If there is any doubt Nelson, then strike And the Children Shall Lead. It's not like there are big prizes at stake. :)

Just occasionally participating in a thread in which I am usually out of my depth, compared to the regulars, regarding all things Star Trek.

- Walter.
Walter,

Your post reminded me that you may ask a question from any series or film. While we do ask questions primarily from TOS, we are not all as strong trivia-wise with regard to the other series (or the films, for that matter).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Walter, Lee, your arguments are very valid, but they do apply to us. You have me convinced there is a possibility Spock was aware Kirk wasn't able to be in command for a moment and took action to remedy it. So Spock was actually temporarily in command. Another point for Walter then!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Turnabout Intruder works both ways: Spock and the others question the fitness of Kirk's body for command and Janice-in-Kirk jokingly questions whether Janice Lester will take command of the Enterprise.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Violence by the lady, perpetrated on Captain Kirk? I ask the assembled personnel to look at Doctor Janice Lester and visualise that historic moment."Correct. I thought about that subtlety and I thought that everyone except Spock thought that really was Kirk.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I believe I have one more answer left and another maybe. Unless you guys can find another situation where Kirk's command is in question. 2 for Walter, 4 for Lee.And I hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving with meatloaf and all the trimmings. :)Edit: actually there are times his command is temporarily revoked.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Our thoughts seem to have all gone toward examples where Kirk was questioned by subordinates. He is questioned repeatedly by Ambassador Fox in A Taste of Armageddon and is directly overridden by Galactic High Commissioner Ferris in The Galileo Seven.And a wonderful holiday to everyone who posts or visits here, and to your friends and families.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee.Yes, there have been a few instances where Kirk's command is called into question by higher powers and superiors. It seems in the case of Robert Fox, he took command of the mission, but Kirk remained in command of the Enterprise. But still, that Poppin J did try to usurp Kirk's command. Since you have the most answered and even if someone were to get the last on on my list, Lee is too far ahead. So might as well call it for Lee.The remaining answer if you want to see it is Court Martial. I figure that the higher power of Commodore Stone certainly has called his command into question. And took it away. The other example that I thought was iffy was Elaan of Troyias. Spock is leaning on Kirk very subtly on the bridge when Elaan is on the bridge and Kirk is obviously distracted by her.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Hi again. Wasn't able to get on for a while, but I will get to work on a new question. Also, something new in the music discussion thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks