What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (6 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, forgive me! In all the excitement about Armegeddon, I totally forgot your answers!Mudd's Women counts! That track is called Distant Spaceship. It bears a strong resemblance to Kirks Command. I'll have to check on For The World is Hollow tonight. I had not listed that one.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'll go for The Way to Eden and Turnabout Intruder in the third season. Still pondering the second season episode.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Perhaps your presence will quiet her...."Well, I didn't have Eden on my list and I checked it, it doesn't have the fanfare! It has that other tune though. That's one point for Eden and one for Turnabout Intruder! Still one for the third and one for the second season.I read most of the The Way of the Spores chapter. That one is a bit of a head scratcher, that's unfortunate the need to make it a Star Trek story rubbed Jerry Sohl the wrong way. I have to finish reading the last two pages and his arguments. Nice that Fontana really made it work and totally reinforces that she's the Spock expert. And I totally forgot Ralph Senesky directed it, I always remember his directing Metamorphosis and Bread and Circuses. That was interesting to read that the business with Spock hanging from the tree was made up on the spot. But most surprising was Leonard Nimoy's reluctance to the story!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Assignment Earth?Nimoy frequently comes across as an atypical actor in these stories. Most actors would leap at the chance to be the central figure in the story and to play something different, but he was so concerned about maintaining the characterization that he wasn't happy about the story in This Side of Paradise. He certainly turned out to be wrong in that case, as he would be the first to admit, but his lack of vanity in that way is still admirable.And speaking of people who didn't want to do this story, Senensky was upset at being switched off The Devil in the Dark and didn't like this script at first. In retrospect, it seems so obvious to give him this one and Devil to Pevney because of their styles and storytelling, but as this was Senensky's first Star Trek, I suppose that is just hindsight. On the other hand, I think it would have been clear even at the time that doing this story with Sulu would have been a waste. The premise really cries out for Spock and the biggest surprise for me is that the documentation bears out the old story that Dorothy Fontana was the first person to realize that. Fontana was the "Spock expert" for sure, and I have discussed how I see her as having understood and expanded his character so beautifully. But she also had a wonderful insight into Kirk. If her Spock trilogy of Paradise, Babel, and The Enterprise Incident is a landmark, then her studies of Kirk in Paradise and The Ultimate Computer are nearly as illuminating. In Paradise, we get to see one of Kirk's most deeply held, and ultimately controversial, philosophies: man is meant to struggle to better himself. The depth of Kirk's belief in that axiom is the only thing that stops This Side if Paradise from being the last adventure of the Enterprise.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Using the light speed breakaway did include the fanfare I'm afraid. Good guess though.Sorry for the delayed report, we had a sizable power failure here! I forgot about the Senensky mention of his disappointment about loosing Devil in the Dark, but he did say he went onto the better script later.You make some good points about Fontana's grasp of Kirk's character. He needs his pain alright. Onto the next chapter.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sorry to intrude, but I was reading a preview of an upcoming TOS-era comic book that you guys might be interested in. It's Star Trek Anuual 2013 by John Byrne, and he did it in the style of the old '70s fotonovels, but he's telling a new story (sequel to "Where No Man Has Gone Before") using footage chosen and manipulated to appear new. He said he's taken care to make sure every shot is correctly angled so everything fits together, unlike those '70s productions. It looks pretty neat.

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2662/

The article I was reading had a page with Kirk investigating the planet, and it was more impressive than the example on that page. But, it was a print magazine I saw it in.

He says if it is well-received, it might become a regular thing.

Anyway, handing the thread back to you.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Not intruding, Greg! Even if you didn't have a great announcement, you should jump in more. But you do have a great announcement. That sample looks beautifully done. I have all the Fotonovels, but this is a whole different kind of creative endeavor. I am definitely onboard. Thanks for the info.Sorry about the power failure, Nelson. Bad weather?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed With Lee, that's a cool post Greg and the thread is open to all Star Trek related discussions.That's a really cool idea for another way to do Fotonovels and tell a new Star Trek story. I'll be checking this out. It's a funny coincidence as I have been casually looking at eBay for good copies of the original Fotonovels as I never got them back in the day! :(In conjunction with these new projects in the comics worlds, which I admit I'm not up on, then Cushman's suggestion, which we discussed too, of doing new animation of TAS episodes with the original voices would be another very exciting idea. It's very gratifying as a fan of TOS to see there's still a lot of interest there! I don't know what happened Lee! My friend who lives in the other side of the same town was also without power. It was very inconveniently timed too as I was going to play a game on the Xbox with another friend on Xbox live. And he lives 25 miles away and was fine. It was clear and calm last night. So something must have broke somewhere.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg,Nice to see you posting in this thread. Many of us have discussed a lot of Trek-related topics (and trivia) over the years in here. Anything related to Trek is welcome. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, guys. I'll remind you about this when it's close to release (the link probably tells the date, but I tend to forget comic dates until the week before they're released).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

There was a Northern California prop meet this past Saturday. Held by members two prop forums, Replica Prop Forum and Trek Prop Zone. The majority of stuff was from Star Trek with a mix of some other shows and films. It was fun to see the level of enthusiasm of the fans for the props and replicas of props. The highlight of the show was a guy who brought an R2D2 that worked! I didnt ask him the details, but I heard there are whole groups that do R2 builds. The other favorite was the Blade Runner gun. While my personal obsession has been the TOS phaser and communicator, the Blade Runner gun replica there is a really nice piece.

Regarding This Side of Paradise, it will be interesting to read the third season book and the issue with Jerry Sohl making amends with Roddenberry and the troubles he will have then.

Lee, you bring up an interesting aspect of Kirk that I had not thought of that hard before, his personal philosophy that Fontana had nailed that man has to fight and claw his way out. He must be challenged or he'll not grow. it has come up several times. But why did you say it is controversial?

And yes, Nimoy has demonstrated over and over his selflessness. His concern more for the character and the piece then his personal aggrandizement. And his caring of his co-workers, and helping them when he could. TAS was a big one when he would do the show if the rest of the cast was included. And his helping De Kelley in Star Trek 6 with a decent salary deal, and more.

And now, some props!

These men are keeping us from our property!
Keeping us from our property.jpg

Blade Runner
Blaster.jpg

Phasers galore!
Arm yourselves.jpg

Actual uniforms from The Motion Picture and Klingon weapon replicas.
uniforms.jpg

Captain, if we go by the book like Lt. Saavik...
ST2 Comm.jpg

A rose by any other name...
Kelvin cube.jpg

These astrodroids!
R2.jpg

I'll try to read some of the chapter on The Devil in the Dark.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure these are fan made.

Costumes.jpg

batman.jpg

My friend was very industrious and had been able to get each TOS Klingon to sign his Bat'Leth.
Bat'leth.jpg

The weapon on the lower left is the actual drill tool used in Star Trek 6 on Rura Penthe.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Those are some amazing props. I love the communicators and phasers in those pics. Thanks for sharing. :)

Edit: Was the Bat'leth in the final pic autographed by Kahless? ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I think he has every Klingon, including Martok actor JG Hertzler amd Michael Dorn who has the whole other side! But no Kahless. :). And he doubts he'll get the Duras sisters.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I am very envious of your weekend! The attention to detail is really admirable and it shows in the final products. Love the Star Trek stuff, obviously, but R2-D2 there is pretty great too.Who signed the Klingon bat'leth on the upper left? I couldn't make out the signature. Great that your friend got the "big 3" before they died.I wonder if Jerry Sohl thought things would be different because by the time he returned to Star Trek, there had been a complete turnover in the staff. Didn't work for him in the end, but maybe that's what he anticipated.There is some critical backlash to actions Kirk takes that demonstrate his philosophy that struggle is necessary to human survival. This Side of Paradise in particular has been attacked as an example of Kirk imposing his beliefs and will on people who were happy and satisfied until he showed up. I don't agree with the criticism, and it does seem to be in opposition to so much of what Star Trek espouses that it must make it hard for those critics to enjoy a lot of the series. But that is why I described it as a controversial belief.As to the last two answers, I am out of both definite recollections and educated guesses. So as not to leave things stagnant, I am open to a hint.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, Lee. The signature on the upper left is Robert O'Reilly, Gowron himself. And Hertzler is on the right, I have higher resolution versions, I dumbed these images down to ease load times. I have more shots, but picked the more overall stuff.Let's see, for hints, this will be tough. In one episode, the crew philosophy is tested. In the other, the crew is tested by illogic.Okay, regarding Kirk's philosophy, I understand. Rushing out, will think on that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Guys,With regard to This Side Of Paradise (a gem in the series), Omicron Ceti III wasn't filmed on earth. No matter what evidence is provided, it wasn't. I really do feel as though I'm on another planet while watching that episode. Perhaps it's a credit to the actors, although I think it has more to do with the music than anything else. It's such a fabulous offering in all of TOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks