What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,That's really cool about your friend. What is the link to the story, if you don't mind?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the notice. The Cushman interview is good, particularly because I think it finally answers our ongoing question about why the book wasn't published by S&S or endorsed by CBS.The Galoob story is fun, and some of those photos are really interesting. Was your friend one of the two they interviewed?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
It's the first story Scott on the Trekcore website.But here's a link got you:http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/10/galoob-25-the-first-generation-of-tng-toys-part-i/
Nelson,Thanks. Much appreciated. :) That was a fun read. I especially liked the bit on Yar and the action figures. And I want a full-scale (working) Ferengi Fighter, please. ;)

Guys,On another note, over the years I've heard a word that people use that I'm curious about. I didn't realize until only a few years ago that it had entered the mainstream. The word is 'glom.' Do you happen to know if that word was first used in the TAS episode, or was it in use before this? Whenever I have heard it used as a verb (as opposed to a Glommer) it relates quite nicely to the episode.

Incidentally, since Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is fresh in my children's minds, we're going to follow it up with Star Trek III: The Search For Spock tonight. I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't have time to read the whole Cushman interview on my lunch break. Will do tonight! I want to read the reasons about the lack of CBS support! My friend is the Jim in the story, the lucky bum! Don't call me tiny! I hope your kids enjoy Star Trek 3. I was really sad by the way Star Trek 2 ended, Meyer did it well.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think ST III is the most underrated of the movies. I hope you all enjoy it."Glom" dates back to 1907 in English, usually considered as a slang word, taken from the Scottish "glaum," meaning "snatch" or "grab." (Merriam-Webster, Random House, and Dictionary.com agree on the origin.)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,Thanks. I have OED and other resources, but I didn't want to use them just yet. I appreciate the work you did on it. :)We all enjoyed Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (just finished it ten minutes ago). It helped our children understand the ending of the second film and the beginning of the fourth film much more clearly. (They've all seen 'Whales' several times.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I read the Cushman interview. So the reason no publisher took it was simply bad selection of material to submit for consideration! The agent blew it! And like you speculated, there have been books out already on Roddenberry and Star Trek. I am a little more then surprised by what he said of CBS, they just weren't interested in reading a 600 page book! That's amazing, they didn't need to read all of it.. But then on the other hand they probably didn't care. Which is surprising since they seem to be doing such a great job at caring for the TV properties. I did like what he said about the second and third seasons became even more interesting to him as the series went on. I'm really looking forward to them! I'm not too sure about a TNG book. But that sounds like a ways off.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here's my question: Name the episodes that do not start with the Star Trek fanfare music. This may be a tough question to judge as I am not a musically trained person like Scott. So I go by the sound. I have noticed many episodes have the traditional fanfare in the first season, by the second and third, I can hear a few notes of the fanfare and then the composer took it to another direction. Some cues, I am not totally sure, but it sounds like they do not contain any notes from the fanfare. Other episodes it's clearly not the fanfare. To he clear, this is the first few bars of music you hear, or first minute of music at the very start of the episode, or teaser. And not counting The Cage or Where No Man Has Gone Before.I have counted 7 in the first season, one may be questionable. 7 in the second season, and 7 in the third season. That's a surprise, I didn't think it would the same number each year. Of course, my counting could be wrong once Scott gets into the question!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I read the chapter on Tomorrow is Yesterday. The main surprise was who really had the idea! I didn't know Justman had the idea and as Fontana says, she had the idea without any influences from Roddenberry who could have mentioned Justman's idea. Glad that Fontana took the opportunity to quit as Gene Roddenberry's secretary and become full time as a writer. I was also surprised Gene Coon polished the script.The other surprise is that I had not realized that this was the very first episode to be a comedic one. Also nice to have Roger Perry's recollections.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

That's an interesting question. You're the ultimate judge on what constitutes 'fanfare music' in this context. Let me ask a question so I can have some clarification. Would the opening music to A Taste Of Armageddon, Conscience Of the King, Shore Leave, and Friday's Child (four very different pieces of music) be considered fanfare music to you? Knowing how you classify these four excerpts will help me understand the question a bit better, I think. If I understand you correctly, then The Paradise Syndrome would count.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I was worried about whether the question is clear.There's a variety of ways the fanfare has been arranged per each composer. The version in Balance of Terror is a slow-ish tempo with different arrangements. There's a version in Enemy Within. Then Catspaw has an embellished version while The Doomsday Machine has a more classic version.What they all seem to have done is take the first 8 notes of the theme track. When William Shatner does the monologue, Space the Final Frontier, you hear the notes then. Those have been taken and used in various ways in the opening tracks of almost every episode. Some times the opening tracks sounds similar, like they rearranged the notes. So those I have trouble with. But The Paradise Syndrome is a clear and obvious one. Some new music is used there. And Conscience of the King also counts!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
How about All our Yesterdays?Were you surprised that Coon did the polish on Tomorrow Is Yesterday because you thought it seemed more like Roddenberry? Or was it something else? That's a story I can easily see coming from two independent sources. When you have a show set in the future, someone is going to think of time travel sooner or later. (No pun intended...)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
All Our Yesterday's counts! That's one of those opening tracks that confuses me. It has a strong theme of its own, but it feels like the fanfare. But it's different. I was surprised Coon did a polish because it was all Fontana's baby, and I thought she might have had the final word on it. But I can also see that they polished everyone's scripts! Plus she was likely still a bit junior, so they just touched it up and of course, as the book tells, Coon had to add his female computer gag. :)It's nice that Justman appears to be fine that he wasn't given credit for the story idea and was thrilled with Fontana's take on it. You are right, with a show like that, multible writers would certainly have to think of ideas like that independently.Scott, I hope I was clear above about what the fanfare is! The term stuck to me when I was listening to Jerry Goldsmith talk about the score for Star Trek The Motion Picture and he said he wasn't going to write any familiar sounding music from the series. Yet, he knew at some point, the score had to have the fanfare in it. Which Alexander Courage did for the film. So it's cool to hear it in the film when Kirk does a Captain's log after passing Jupiter.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Okay, thanks for the additional information. And yes, you were quite clear. I think the confusion was on my end, not yours. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting to read the HTF's own Kevin Koster's take on the Cushman book at Trekcore in the readers comments section of the Cushman interview that he posted a few hours ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks