What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I went back over the thread a few pages to make sure I didn't miss that someone didn't already name the last answer and I didn't see it. I did see that I missed that Scott named the Murasaki quasar, but Lee already named it before. And I reassessed whether the surname hint was a good hint or not. Its probably a fictional name.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Scott, Lee! Tonight's airing of Columbo on MeTV is airing an episode called Troubled Waters. Must be the one Scott was thinking of that occurs on a cruise ship. Patrick Macnee is the captain and Robert Vaughn is the main guest, so I assume he's the murderer.
Nelson,Thanks. I will DVR this assuming that I have MeTV. Much appreciated. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Scott, assuming the broadcast schedule is the same in your state, then Columbo aired last night. But maybe it airs on Monday in your area! :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,So Kirk refers to this last phenomenon by a surname in the episode, yes?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Well, it's a name yes. If its a real surname, I'm not sure.
Nelson,Well, I was hoping you might say "I'll certify that right now!"

;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Doctor, you are out of line! " :)I was thinking that the last answer will require another hint, but I won't say it if you don't want it. The reason is that the way Kirk says it, to me it's very hard to hear the name.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Yes, there are a couple of lines in TOS that are difficult to hear at times. Another one that comes to mind is Kirk saying "Make a sweep" when he tells his men to move out in Obsession. But that may be due more to the editing of that particular segment than the way Kirk says it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It took me years to figure out that Shatner's reply to Claudius Marcus when he said Kirk was centuries past television, was "I've heard it was...similar". That was a great line! I did have to look up the subtitles to see that Cochran said Judas Goat!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just a few very quick thoughts on The Galileo Seven entry in the book.It was cool how enthusiastic the network was to see this episode made ASAP! I had heard the detail of the deal with AMT before about how the shuttlecraft was built originally in exchange for model rights. But it's always good to hear more details about that. The business with Don Marshall was amusing how the director was trying to direct his acting choices and great how Leonard Nimoy came up and said do what you feel is right and don't worry about the director. What did Leonard Nimoy say to Robert Gist! Oh, and it was interesting how the story was to involve Kirk in command of the Galileo with Yeoman Rand also on board and Roddenberry turned it around and made it about Spock. That really elevated the episode I think to one of the very best ones. So the sacking of Whitney as Cushman put it was the reason for Mears being on board. And the most surprising, Leoonard Nimoy while acknowledging the story was a stepping stone to Growing the character, felt it was a failure! He was really at that stage it seems feeling more dependent on the interplay with William Shatner to make the character work. But I think the episode worked really well, his lack of support from Shatner, if you will, really made the character's journey on his first command work. His lack of support, and his need to step up worked out great! I just read the first two pages of Court Martial, that looks like its going to be an enlightening read!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
All of the stuff on The Galileo Seven was engaging, but reading Leonard Nimoy's opinion of it blew me away! I was stunned that he didn't like it, but even more stunned that he felt that the major problem was the separation from Kirk. Not that I believed Leonard Nimoy was particularly egotistical, but that is a very unusual sentiment from an actor, especially one in a supporting role. My agreement or disagreement as a viewer is immaterial; I just think it is so illuminating to see how he thinks about it because that view must have informed his other performances. I know he studied acting with Jeff Corey and one of Corey's techniques was to examine the scene in terms of how your character is feeling or reacting differently from the other characters in the scene--how is your character different in this moment? Applying that technique may have felt easier or more comfortable in relation to a familiar and well-defined acting partner. Just a thought.

Given the fact that the producers weren't thrilled with the episode and neither was Nimoy, I am not surprised that Gist did not return. And Nimoy's conversation with Don Marshall makes it even clearer that Gist didn't make a great impression there. I love The Galileo Seven, but I do think the trickiest part of it is striking the right balance with Boma. If he is just disagreeing, then he is simply parroting McCoy. If he gets too belligerent, then he seems like a bully and it is hard to reconcile him laughing with everyone at the end. I don't know what the best choices would have been in every scene, but I do think that there was some inconsistency in the characterization, and the split between the cast and director might explain it.

Cushman says that this episode is one of only two in which Spock has more screen time than Kirk. But he doesn't say what the other one is. Am I missing an obvious one?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
I know he studied acting with Jeff Corey and one of Corey's techniques was to examine the scene in terms of how your character is feeling or reacting differently from the other characters in the scene--how is your character different in this moment? Applying that technique may have felt easier or more comfortable in relation to a familiar and well-defined acting partner. Just a thought.

Cushman says that this episode is one of only two in which Spock has more screen time than Kirk. But he doesn't say what the other one is. Am I missing an obvious one?
Lee,Fascinating insights (Corey). I had no idea Nimoy had studied with him.

Could the other episode be The Tholian Web? I suppose it could be The Cage, but I can't imagine Cushman would have been referring to that episode.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Leonard Nimoy has always been consistent with his desire to sharing the work or credit or support. He was the person Whitney went to when she lost the role of Rand, and now Don Marshall. And he went to bat for the support characters to return to the Animated Series even if there was little budget to afford it. He sounds like a really great guy and nice person to work with!That said, in the case of The Galileo Seven, my reading of that opinion by him must have been a quote from the 1960's? I feel that Leonard Nimoy was much more comfortable in the role after the first year. He knew how to handle it better. His scenes in The Doomsday Machine, The Apple, Gamesters, That Which Survives, The Tholian Web as Scott said, All Our Yesterday's and others really showed he was very much in command. Though McCoy still took delight in cutting at him. But as you said Lee, we are the viewer and we are making our own interpretations. I was aware of Mr. Nimoy learning from Mr. Corey, but I didn't know about those techniques to work your performance and react to the other characters. I can see that possibly making it harder for a leading role position. I must have blinked and missed Cushman saying this was one of two episodes Mr. Nimoy had more screen time then Mr. Shatner!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, of course The Tholian Web! I checked again and Cushman actually says there are three, so he counts one more. Maybe he meant The Cage? Or maybe the second part of The Menagerie? The Enterprise Incident? But The Tholian Web is clearly one. (And you didn't blink, Nelson...it was in the website publicity for the book, not the actual book itself.)Nimoy not only studied with Corey, he actually taught under his auspices as an acting instructor in the 60s. Corey's own career had been interrupted by the blacklist, but he was quite a well-respected teacher in the 50s and 60s.The Nimoy assessment comes from 1994, according to the endnotes. But he speaks in the past tense, so you might be right about his disappointment being of the moment. Have you ever heard him voice an opinion on The Tholian Web? I wonder if he liked it better.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Chuck Anstey said:
I would blind guess The Enterprise Incident
Sounds logical to me also. The scenes that cut back to Kirk on the Enterprise feel much shorter than the scenes with Spock and the Romulan Commander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks