What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (6 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, I think that's the way the scale worked. Justman's argument was that it was financially irresponsible to pay Doohan the same $1000 (I think that's what it was) for a show like All our Yesterdays, involving about 90 seconds of voiceover work, as for a show like That Which Survives, where he was in half the episode. I think the comments about Ms. Nichols's weight were exactly what they sound like.What makes me curious (and annoyed at the redactions--it's been 45 years and some of these people are dead!) is the difference between Nimoy and Kelley. According to Kelley's biographer, the two were making the same per episode salary after the first season. But that memo sure doesn't read like they were making the same amount in season two.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Guys,Where are we as far as the current trivia question is concerned? Has it been answered, and if so, whose turn is it?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
We have one planet left unnamed. Nelson will be next in any case. I'm ready to give hints, or if Nelson wants to ask a question while he considers the last Federation planet, that would be fine also.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I made an effort last night to line up all the third season episodes to watch in order to help me find the last planet! I don't think the planets already named in the third season episodes have other planets mentioned, so I was focusing on episodes not mentioned already. But I have the ones already mentioned lined up too. One things for sure, the music is great in The Paradise Syndrome! There's no Daren 5 for the asteroid to hit though! And the Preservers were not part of the Federation. I hope I have the answer this weekend. Unless I missed it last night, another Vulcan calculated risk.....I kept thinking of that salary deal for the cast as I was watching it last night.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, we discussed the various pronunciations of Marcos and Markus from Pamelyn Ferdin and John Crawford and others. :).Okay, I had a mini marathon yesterday of Spectre of the Gun, That Which Survives, Is There In Truth No Beauty, and Paradise Syndrome the day before. I'll keep going in this unprecedented effort for me to watch so many third season shows in a row in a day!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I've been watching The Tholian Web and For The World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky.

Since we now have the soundtrack set, I could actually hear a track from the third season that is a redux of the Alexander Courage track "Probing/Monster Illusion" when the old man visits Kirk and Spock and McCoy in their room who tells them he once climbed the mountains and touched the sky.

I thought that was really cool!

I don't think I heard any mention of any more Federation planets other then Daran V as already mentioned earlier.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,You've inspired me to watch For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky tonight. If memory serves, I believe that Lee mentioned (in The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread) this alternate version of "Monster Illusion" a few months ago. In any event, I do remember going to a different disc to listen to another version of that track.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, enjoy! I was thinking that Katherine Woodville was 20 years Kelley's junior. And I didn't know that she died in June this year. And Frank da Vinci also passed away recently.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Double whammy of bad news there. Sorry to hear about both of them. The obituary someone wrote on StarTrek.com for da Vinci was very nice. I knew Kate Woodville was English and had been married to Patrick Macnee, but didn't know she then married Eddie Albert's son. I always assumed she was much younger than Kelley, but I thought that was a good choice. Not that older women are lesser; but if the actress had seemed older than the usual 1930s-born leading ladies, it would have seemed like a kind of ageist default for both Kelley and the actress. I thought it was a much stronger choice to have the actress be in the usual Shatner/Nimoy age range but choose McCoy instead.Here's a question to which I don't know the answer: of all the love interests for our guys on the show, how many were born before 1930? I can only think of Joanne Linville off the top of my head. And how many after 1940? Barbara Anderson for sure. Maybe Marianna Hill? Maybe Angelique Pettyjohn? Anyone else?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I agree that Woodville was a good choice and I do like that she chose McCoy over Kirk! :) I like the way you put that.Well, interesting question about the women. Perhaps this is pushing the bounds of your question, but Kim Darby had to have been born after 1940. I looked up France Nuyen, I figured she'd be on the fence between the 1930's and 40's. 1939.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,While watching For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky last night, I did hear the passage you referred to above. That theme is used in so many different iterations throughout the series (e.g., check out The Return Of the Archons, in which it is used in several different ways throughout the episode).
Nelson Au said:
Scott, enjoy!I was thinking that Katherine Woodville was 20 years Kelley's junior. And I didn't know that she died in June this year. And Frank da Vinci also passed away recently.
It's interesting to compare people's perceptions. I thought Natira was younger than McCoy, but not by twenty or so years. I have no idea how old she was when she did the episode, but I found the difference in age between she and Bones to be less than I did the difference in age between Kirk and Lenore. I suppose it's because I found Natira to be in her thirties rather than in her twenties. But, that's only my perception, which could easily be wrong.Incidentally, when I saw Brent operating the transporter, I thought back to that excellent trivia question of several months ago. I had never really been aware of him in that scene before I had attempted to tackle that question.
FanCollector said:
I knew Kate Woodville was English and had been married to Patrick Macnee, but didn't know she then married Eddie Albert's son.
Very interesting. I didn't know either of those tidbits, and I'm a fan of Macnee.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I never thought about the age differences before either until this recent viewing. Woodville was thirty at the time, I looked it up! I didn't know she was married to Macnee either, but I knew she was married to Edward Albert. I thought her portrayal of Natira was very regal and so the age difference didn't seem so obvious. Well, nice to have a day off so I'll be trying to see a few more episodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I must have been asleep at the wheel, or at the time of the forum change over, my subscriptions to threads were lost and maybe I missed Lee's posting that the alternate version of Probing/Monster Illusion was used in FTWIHAIHTTS. Just played The Enterprise Incident. I didn't think there was mentioned any Federation planets. Though two lines of dialogue stood out to me that never jumped before. When the Romulan Commander is realizes that Spock helped Kirk steal the cloaking device, she says, "How can you do this to me!" I always knew she was felt hurt and betrayed by Spock's subterfuge. And it made the scene later really pay off in the turbo lift. I played close attention to that scene and Spock says he hoped that she was able to take away something more from the experience. It really hit home more for me this time that Spock really did have feelings for her. That he went beyond orders and the mission. The other line is that Kirk says they would let the Commander off at the nearest Outpost. That line I forgot about. I always thought it was a Starbase. That must have meant one of the Outposts along the Neutral Zone. I can't imagine her superiors will be too happy to pick her up. That in my mind makes it a much sadder ending for her in that episode. I imagine though they take her back and she's still an officer of the Romulan Empire. So the mission was very costly to Spock and the Commander, and everyone but them are ignorant to it as its their secret.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Right, Kim Darby and Teri Garr would have been born significantly later, but they weren't exactly love interests. (Some people make jokes about Miri, but they are not nice...)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And I forgot to mention, the producers of TNG planned to bring Joanne Linville back in an episode called Face of the Enemy where Troi is kidnapped by the Romulans who are underground and trying to sneak some Romulan high level officials out to the Federation.She would have been great as the Romulan Commander, but wasn't available. But the actress, Carolyn Seymour was a great choice. Probably just as well, her reputation of being duped over would have been more damaging to her career.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,As intriguing as Linville might have been in that role, you are spot on regarding Seymour. She was very good as Romulan Commander Toreth (TNG). I also liked her as Taris and Yale (also TNG), and I especially liked her as Mrs. Templeton in a couple of episodes of VOY. In Cathexis and Persistence of Vision (VOY) she was particularly annoying (in a good way, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks