What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here's one site: http://www.1164.com/And another:http://www.bewitched.net/1164mg.htmThe second is cool as it has aerial photos of the street. Ill look for the fountain! We are way off topic of Star Trek! :)Lee, that's very true about Remington Steele having that retro feel. Yet, IIRC, Stephanie Zimbalist wore those sort of 80's fashions. But regardless of the fashions, the show did buck the percentages and struck its own path. Forgive the Trek line.MeTV must be doing a great business of filling in airtime on the secondary channels! And it makes sense!Scott gave me the impression there might have been a lot of Columbo discussions! I never thought of owning that series either, but it did have some great guest star killers. And two Star Trek cast member alumni among them.Bryan, you must mean the New York street sets from City on the Edge of Forever? Those were done on the old Forty Acres lots, were Andy Grifith was filmed. From what i read, Andy Grifith filmed on those exteriors and kept the cameras low to avoid showing more then one level of each building, so the town looked like one story buildings. But for Star Trek, they didn't have that limitation and filmed the buildings as they appear. Miri and Archons took advantage of that. Unfortunately, as Lee pointed out, the land was sold and reused. What a loss! Scott, that line is a puzzler! Sounds like something from Batman.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Scott gave me the impression there might have been a lot of Columbo discussions! I never thought of owning that series either, but it did have some great guest star killers. And two Star Trek cast member alumni among them.Scott, that line is a puzzler! Sounds like something from Batman.
Nelson,I do love Columbo. And the one with Nimoy as a surgeon in it was amazing. He (Nimoy) almost got away with it.

Regarding my quote, it's not from Batman.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"You have intelligence...you have perception...you have great tenacity...you've got everything but proof."Nimoy was one of the most loathsome guest villains. A great performance and miles from Mr. Spock."Let's stop pretending for one minute that I'm brilliant and you're simple."Shatner was one of the most complex villains and it is arguably his finest performance ever; certainly one of them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Don't tell me Nimoy was the killer! I ask you not to tell me that! I have never seen the Nimoy Columbo episode! I have seen the Shatner episode and for some reason, remember it more for how he was criticized for his performance being effeminate! As I recall, it was a good one. That was a long time ago that I saw it. Hmmm, I'll have to see what that Columbo box set costs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The other thing of interest in that Columbo box set would be Kate Mulgrew as Mrs Columbo that's one of the extras! She might have been a tad younger then I imagined she would be in the actual Columbo episodes. Plus I'm guessing the second Shatner appearance as a Rush Limbaugh-ish character in the recent versions of the series will be interesting too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

My wife and I own the first three boxes of Columbo films. The episode in which Nimoy appears is wonderful. It's called A Stitch In Crime (1973). I wouldn't dare give any of it away. In the voice of Trelane, "You must see it." In fact, I am ordering you to see it, just in case there is any question about that.

1970255,94U6YpHIF+CNCWp4GKnMnkYolD4TQoevtACYGxv3rr6t5nv32EGTV6zGRHbiSj4J6iXr2vhUzGnCwmhp5HRNsQ==.jpg

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ah, Mrs. Columbo. Levinson and Link said, "Don't make a show about Mrs. Columbo." Universal said they were doing it anyway. "If you must do it," they said, "get Maureen Stapleton. We hate the idea of showing Mrs. Columbo, but we can sort of see Maureen Stapleton." Ms. Stapleton was a 55-ish, matronly, and very fine, actress. Universal went with 23-year-old Kate Mulgrew. The Columbo creators called their lawyers, shook their heads, and pretended it never happened.The show may not be as awful as everyone says, but it's pretty bad. I think there are three on the Columbo sets. The first one has Donald Pleasence, so it can't be too bad. The others...do not have Donald Pleasence. (Robert Culp did the pilot, but I've never seen it.) Apparently audiences didn't believe her as Mrs. Columbo either--about halfway into the 13-episode run, they changed her name to Callahan and never mentioned her husband again. Shatner's 1990's appearance is, I fear, the antithesis of his earlier one. It is the kind of Shatner performance that has made Kevin Pollak a rich man. Interesting about the effeminacy criticism of Fade In To Murder. The joke there is that he is playing Peter Falk; not the look or the mannerisms, but a demanding star of a highly-rated television mystery series who wins lots of Emmys and keeps asking for more and more money.And I agree with Scott's order. "You have no choice."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Fandom can be Murder! If I can try to make a Columbo like title! Speaking of Aaron Spelling's Burke's Law, Honey West must have been too ahead of its time for the audiences of 1965. Unfortunate for Miss Francis. It took three angels to make that work. In regards to Fade In To Murder, I remember seeing that. And my take away was Shatner played a very mean character. Is Pollak mean?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I was unclear. Fade In To Murder is the 1976 Columbo in which Shatner plays the more sympathetic part. Butterfly in Shades of Gray is the 1993 Columbo in which he plays the sneeringly evil part. The latter performance is quite over the top, fueling the broad comedy Shatner impersonation of impressionist Kevin Pollak.Honey West as the ancestor of Charlie's Angels! That's totally right! It isn't that progressive a show if you actually watch it, since she gets saved a lot. But yes, it's a clear line from one Spelling property to the other!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,

I don't know if I'm going to be able to explain this clearly. For more than twenty years, my wife and I have been trying to track down an episode (or film -- I never know what to call them since they were part of the NBC Mystery Movie many years ago) of Columbo. The only scene I remember is that a crowd of people are in a room with a large Bay window overlooking the ocean, and possibly a dock. As you are viewing this scene, the window is at the left, and toward the center of the screen (and maybe part of it occupies space to the right) there is something that looks like a bar with a customer or two seated at it.I've tried for years to recall which episode this is. I do know that it is similar to a scene in another episode (and that this is not that episode, since I have seen that one and it is not the one I have been trying to recall). I have no idea as to who was in the episode as far as guest stars are concerned, and unfortunately I have no plot or other information to help you out with this. I am hoping that it will just dawn on you. Please don't spend too much time on it. :)Addendum: It seems to me that boats (and maybe even a Captain) were germaine to this episode.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My apologizes, I confused the titles of the Shatner appearances. I meant the 1993 version where he was the mean guy. Oh, Pollak does impersonations of Shatner? I think he was part of a recent Peter Falk tribute when MeTV was showing a Columbo episode and they showed clips when they filmed the dedication of Falk's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He was able to make his eyes independently move to mimic Falk's glass eye. I know of Honey West and it looked a bit like an American Emma Peel. But I never saw an episode. I guess the network wasn't going to accept a women who beats up the bad guys. Scott, that's a pretty thin clue! :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Scott, that's a pretty thin clue! :)
Nelson,

Your statement might have ended this glorious mission. You're reduced two steps in rank. ;)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have absolutely no idea if this is the episode, Scott - but googling 'Columbo captain' returns a hit for an episode Troubled Waters with Patrick Macnee as Capt. Gibbons. In this episode, a murder takes place aboard a cruise ship on which Columbo and the Mrs. are vacationing and he is enlisted by the Captain to investigate. I don't really recall this one, but it sounds like a good one.

- Walter.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter Kittel said:
I have absolutely no idea if this is the episode, Scott - but googling 'Columbo captain' returns a hit for an episode Troubled Waters with Patrick Macnee as Capt. Gibbons. In this episode, a murder takes place aboard a cruise ship on which Columbo and the Mrs. are vacationing and he is enlisted by the Captain to investigate. I don't really recall this one, but it sounds like a good one.

- Walter.
Walter,Wow, this is promising. The funny thing is, I don't recall it either (another good sign). The reason I think it could be the one is because I know that 1) I do not own that episode (on either DVD or VHS); and because 2) I am a fan of Macnee, and I think I would remember if I had seen one with him in it, which I honestly don't think I have. In other words, I figured that I might be able to zero in on it by way of negation.

Okay, I just Googled it (with images), and this does look like it could be it. Now I have to track it down and watch it. Thank you so much for the lead!

Addendum: The year (1975) looks right, too. I knew it had to be an older (original) one.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Incidentally, if the episode suggested by Walter above turns out to be the correct one (given my 'pretty thin clue'), then you will no doubt have to be reduced three steps in rank. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Take care Commander! :)I hope Walter found the episode Scott. If I get the set, I'll look for it. I'm going to take a safe bet that Captain Janeway won't be in the episode and will be in their cabin while Columbo is investigating the crime.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lieutenant! ;)

Nelson,When you and Lee are talking about Kate Mulgrew, aren't you talking about another series? I can't imagine she was in any of the original (earlier) films (ca. 1971-1975 or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks