What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Good catch. I've always wondered if Planet Q was a very early colony, because of the name. (I realize it was just a random designation in a script, but just as a fun intraseries speculation...)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
By the way, I was reading the shooting schedule for Obsession (provided by the Mission Log podcast: http://missionlogpodcast.com/discovereddocuments/042/ )I have seen individual call sheets before, but never the shooting schedule for an entire episode. Lots of fascinating detail, but with regard to our earlier discussion of the actors' work schedules, Obsession seems fairly typical. Shatner, Nimoy, and guest Stephen Brooks worked all six days. DeForest Kelley worked five days. Doohan, Nichols, and Koenig worked only the first two days (although Doohan had to come in again for one brief scene later in the week) and Majel Barrett worked the last two days (although on one of those days, she only had one brief appearance). They definitely made an effort to consolidate appearances (mostly a by-product of shooting everything on one set in the same day), but it does make it easier to see why Bob Justman and the consultants recommended giving the supporting cast raises, but not paying them for additional days worked. That one later briefing room scene with Scott didn't cost them extra for James Doohan and that sort of thing probably happened frequently. I'm sure it avoided a lot of scheduling headaches in that those extra days' appearances would not have involved additional salary costs. It also shows why Leonard Nimoy's request for one day off on every show's filming was not acceptable to the production. They would have ended up paying him per diem overages every single week.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Planet Q is a name like Psi 2000. Probably because it sounded technical and cool. :)Thanks for the heads up at the Mission Log site. I have got to find time to download those and listen. That call sheet is interesting to see. It's a daily outline of what they have scheduled to film. That's amazing to see what you deduced from studying it that they try to assign the support characters days in a row to film, then release them for the rest of the week. Makes me think of the Roger C. Carmel thing last week and how they must have scheduled his appearance on I, Mudd on his days off. And how Takei was able to appear on Star Trek and Mission: Impossible. A great agent was probably able to try to give their actor clients as much work as they could in a week. And a scheduling nightmare. At the same time it looks like it made it difficult for people like Doohan, Takei, Keonig and Nichols and Barrett to do other guest appearances if they were needed at the last minute on Star Trek. Makes sense they were given a raise to help offset those missed jobs, a little at least. It also makes me think of something I've had in mind. At the time they made Star Trek, the entire cast saw it as a job of course and probably were hustling all the time thinking that season they were making was the last season.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
By the end of the episode, Sherman's Planet does seem likely to be under the auspices of the Federation. Take that, Captain Koloth.

I never thought about it before, but I notice that both of your examples (George Takei on Mission and Roger C. Carmel on The Mothers-in-Law) involved productions that filmed on the same lot as Star Trek. Perhaps it was all easier to arrange when the actor just had to go down the hall or across the street. Also, The Mothers-in-Law was filmed before a live audience, so the schedule would be very different. Typically, those shows do a table reading, three days of rehearsal, and then shoot on the fifth day. If Carmel had a small part in the show, it wouldn't be impossible for him to have just missed some rehearsal days. Also, those multi-camera comedies frequently take weeks off (one out of every four or five), so I, Mudd may just have filmed on an off week for his show.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, that's a great point about those shows that Carmel and Takei appearing in we're Desilu and filming within the same studio. So it made sense they'd be able to better coordinate the actor's schedules. I seem to recall reading somewhere the Brady kids were playing around on the Star Trek sets.In viewing MeTV, I am surprised by the number of shows made by Desilu. Well, last night I watched a bit of The Cloud Minders. I was thinking for some reason in Kirk's log, he'd be stating what planet they were going to get the Zenite to stop the plaque on. But Kirk never states the planet! But we do know they are going to Ardana to get the Zenite. I always liked the way these lines were delivered:PLASUS: Are you as brave with mortae as you are with a phaser? KIRK: Both will kill.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Brady Bunch began the year after Star Trek ended, but the sets might have still been standing. Talk about And the Children Shall Lead.I believe we do hear the name of the needy planet in The Cloudminders. It has a number.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the same, that Star Trek was already wrapped by the time the Brady's moved in. Might be an urban legend.Okay, I'll have watch the rest of the episode! Does Ardana count?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson and Lee,

The final episode of Star Trek (Turnabout Intruder) aired initially on June 30, 1969 while The Brady Bunch premiered on September 26, 1969. So that's approximately three months between shows.

Nelson,I recall hearing that some of the Brady kids did in fact play on the sets of Star Trek. I don't know if it was in the special features of The Brady Bunch or in the Growing Up Brady DVD where I heard this.

By the way, have a peek at this. I don't know how Merak II fits into the question, but I thought I'd post it for informational purposes:

"What are their demands? Completely unreasonable, Captain, but nothing you need be concerned with."
"I must concern myself with it if it should interfere with the delivery of zenite to Merak II."
"Mr. Advisor, the plant life is the source of oxygen on that planet. If all plant life is destroyed, the humanoid life will follow."
http://www.voyager.cz/tos/epizody/75cloudminderstrans.htm

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Right. Star Trek finished filming in early January and The Brady Bunch probably started filming in May, so the sets might not have been taken down yet.

Merak II is the planet, and it is referred to as another member of the Federation to whom Ardana bears responsibility.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ah- Merak II. Scott gets both planets from that episode! So the story is true then about the Brady's. I thought I read that somewhere. That's kind of sad in a way. Makes me think of the SNL John Belushi skit on the last voyage of the Enterprise. The stage hands are ripping the set down.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee and Nelson,Just one side note. I didn't get Merak II without the transcript, so I can't take credit for that one. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
http://missionlogpodcast.com/discovereddocuments/046/Another shooting schedule--A Piece of the ActionA lot of similarities to the Obsession schedule (Shatner and Nimoy worked all six days, and Kelley worked five.) But this time, all of the Enterprise scenes were done on the last day, so Doohan, Koenig, and Nichols only worked the one day. (This may also explain director James Komack's stated difficulties with working with the actors on the Enterprise sets. He really had very little time to spend on the scenes on those sets.) Especially different, the guest stars were less involved than Stephen Brooks who had to film every day. Anthony Caruso was only there for the first two days of filming and Vic Tayback for two days and the very end of a third.Also fun to notice how much more effort has to be made in this one to keep the costuming straight for Kirk and Spock from day to day and scene to scene.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had a look at that schedule. The thing that kept coming to mind for me is how the main cast can keep a theme going when jumping around and filming out of order. But I guess they are used to it and the director keeps them on track. "Of course the cards on Beta Antares IV are different, but not too different." That was a guess at another Fed planet.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I hadn't thought of Beta Antares. Good one!And I agree with you about the actors' burden at filming out of sequence. I always marvel at movie and television actors ability to create a performance out of order that way. I think it is especially impressive when the character is undergoing a transformation of some kind, like Dr. Daystrom in Star Trek or like Joanne Woodward in The Three Faces of Eve. The whole arc of the characterization has to be not only planned in their minds, but also emotionally accessible to them at more or less random times.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Poor Colony Beta VI is another victim of the Enterprise's notorious inefficiency in delivering supplies in a timely manner. :)Lee, I always imagined of late that a real actor does stage work and has certain skill sets and a screen actor has a different set of skill sets that prepare them for the flip flop nature of the technical side of film making. And that a lot of screen actors may not have the ability to do stage work because they never trained there. I guess that's why I hear of screen actors who go back and train for "real" acting after they achieve a certain degree of notoriety by their sheer personality and or ability to touch that mainstream nerve of pop culture. That's not to put down screen actors as many come from the theater.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Speak of coincidences, I happen to just turn on the TV to see a MeTV marathon of Brady Bunch episodes. I hadn't seen this in ages. The pilot and second episodes were on. It's interesting to see because of the late 1960's and architecture of the house set. Not seeing it so long, it's interesting because of the design and my fondness for mid century architecture of the house used in the pilot for Mike's house before the wedding. And the disconnect too of the actual house exterior used in the series and the house interior set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks