What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, I'll start us out. I don't know if all of these qualify, but here goes:

The Devil In the Dark
Operation-- Annihilate! (iffy)
Catspaw
Wolf In the Fold
The Apple
Obsession
That Which Survives

I also had Friday's Child, but I see that Nelson guessed that one already.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I kinda felt like Jackson was already dead in Catspaw as he beamed aboard, but I can see how that applies. He does a nice dead fall.So would Alvin apply too from The Deadly Years?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jackson is admittedly open to interpretation. He calls up from Pyris VII, so is presumably alive just before transport. Does he die just before the transporter locks on? Or just after he arrives? I don't think we can be sure, so I say Scott's reading is legitimate. Alvin seems very dead to start with (and the Johnsons seem to know he is dead when they walk in), unless you see some indication of life first.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,I too thought of Alvin. I dismissed it because he was already dead. Jackson, on the other hand (if you recall the episode correctly), was doing a dance that would have brought the house down on Dancing With the Stars right before he did his dead fall.

Incidentally, you need to see the full and unedited version of Catspaw (which I own) to see the dance.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's true Jackson calls up to be beamed up! Not sure I would want to see him dance! :)Agreed Alvin was dead already.Not to question your computers, do we not actually see the Denevan die? I know they see his ship and chase it to the sun. Then we hear him talk and then his transmitter goes dead and then his ship is declared lost. So we know he dies. No question about that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Not to question your computers, do we not actually see the Denevan die? I know they see his ship and chase it to the sun. Then we hear him talk and then his transmitter goes dead and then his ship is declared lost. So we know he dies. No question about that.
Nelson,Yeah, that's why I wrote 'iffy' parenthetically in my initial answer to the question. It probably doesn't count since we do not see him die on screen.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, it was iffy. It didn't fit the exact wording of the question, but the death did take place in the right time frame. I sort of had it down as a "bonus." Rest assured that the remaining example is a fully visible expiration.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Fans of Trek,

If anyone is in the Nashville area, this Convention might be of interest. This is actually a very good guest list in my opinion. As far as I can tell, the only series not represented at this event are TNG and TAS [ ;)]. And the latter series is almost represented. :)

http://www.creationent.com/cal/st_nashville.html

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
While you are pondering the last teaser demise, I wonder what your thoughts are on the subject of the relationship between Mr. Spock and Mr. Scott. I watched Turnabout Intruder today and it struck me as one of the defining moments for them, even though they don't talk to one another very much in the episode. What would you characterize as some of their other defining moments together? (And they are not, I would argue, always positive.) I ask because although their relationship is not nearly as well-defined as the various Kirk/Spock/McCoy permutations, they do end up together a lot, especially as Scott got more to do in general over the course of the series. I don't know how much depth there is here; just an idle thought.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I love the scene in the corridor between Bones and Scotty. And I must admit that when I see it, I do think of that pair as being quite interesting, and wish we had seen more of them (and perhaps only them) together. Even to hear Bones say 'Scotty' is (for me) somewhat heartwarming, as it's not all that often that it occurs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't watch Turnabout Intruder as often as the others. It is a great chance for William Shatner to go nuts.Which scene do you refer to between Scott and Spock?It would seem Spock and Scotty had quite a few moments. But perhaps they were more of the kind in the performance of their duties. Galileo Seven comes to mind. A distress signal? The Tholian Web too brought them together in a new way as he tries to adapt to him as Captain. And of course the business in the Jeffries Tube in That Which Survives. You might as well say thank you!There seems like theres others.The one other McCoy and Scotty scene seems to be in A Taste of Armageddon.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Gentlemen, are you proposing mutiny?
For Spock / Scotty interaction, The Gamesters of Triskellion comes to mind.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Duncan is a very creative answer! I have to suspect though, that even with Kodos playing Macbeth that he doesn't really kill the other actor. The remaining answer is more literal.Those are all memorable Spock/Scott moments. (Nelson, I was actually referring to the scene between Scott and McCoy in Turnabout Intruder. Spock isn't present, but the whole scene turns on Scott's assessment of Spock's character.) I agree that a lot of their interaction is professional. Sometimes Scott seems frustrated with the way Spock thinks and reacts. Chuck's example would be one such case. There are others in Spectre of the Gun, Day of the Dove, The Paradise Syndrome, and others.Scott, I think the McCoy/Scott relationship is much less complicated for them because they often seem to have a common outlook. They are both practical thinkers, which is not to say they are unimaginative. Rather, they are less comfortable with the abstract and can even be suspicious of it. They find themselves allied in many episodes, including A Taste of Armageddon, The Gamesters of Triskelion, Spectre of the Gun, Whom Gods Destroy, Return to Tomorrow, The Savage Curtain, and Turnabout Intruder where we started. Which are the moments besides the great hallway scene that you think best characterizes the McCoy/Scott relationship? (And I will certainly not suggest any personal reason you might like hearing McCoy say "Scotty" out loud...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks