What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (15 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No laughing!Charlie X. Don't know why it took so long to think of that one.It's hard for me to calibrate my review of Star Trek Into Darkness. It certainly doesn't compare to Star Trek the series in any meaningful way; but taken on its own, I thought it was a pretty good summer action movie and one step closer to the series than the last movie. But I'm still not sending away for the Zachary Quinto standee.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I just scanned through Charlie X as I had not thought of it as a likely candidate. When you suggested it, I had suspicions where it might be. When Janice tells Kirk to talk to Charlie to leave her alone, he had that devilish grin. When he meets Charlie in his cabin, he had a similar grin. Then in the gymnasium, after Kirk throws Charlie down and Sam is laughing, Kirk is grinning. I'll give that one to you because it's possible, but I didn't see it.

Yes, for us, its hard to separate our views of the new movie from TOS. I have a friend who is an a long time fan. He surprised me as he hates everything. He seems to have a similar view as you. He felt Abrams gets points for trying to inject some message to the story. So he thought it was pretty good. I am like you, as a stand alone film, it was a well made movie. I certainly enjoyed it.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, I was thinking of the scene in the gym. If it was just a grin, I accept your word on it. I'll keep thinking.Glad I'm not the guy who hates everything...yet. That description made me laugh.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Man Trap. He laughs when he teases McCoy at the beginning. It's interesting that this question was partly inspired by the Roddenberry memo complaining that Kirk is too relaxed, and yet there is a high percentage of mirth in the early, Roddenberry-produced episodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Of all the boneheaded ideas, Lee! How did I forget that one! Another point Lee. Still two more. One from the first and one from the third season.Agreed Lee. What I thought would be perhaps 8 or 10 answers, it's expanded a lot!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Upon reflection, I may have tricked myself out of an answer. In Whom Gods Destroy, Kirk kind of fake laughs in response to Garth's "You'll help me, of course."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I hadn't thought of that one either!As I recall, that's the scene where Kirk replies "Of Course", but he does it with a sort of chuckle. I'll add it to the list.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, that was the scene. I forget sometimes how funny a lot of the performances in that episode are.What about at the end of The Return of the Archons when Lindstrom is recounting the fights they've witnessed on Beta III?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As you wish... Is my favorite Soock line in that episode. :)Shoot, not sure about Archons. I'll have to watch that part. I'm sure he's smiling there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I recall the smile he has when he's first under the influence and then later as he looks at his medal in his cabin. But I don't recall any levity.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think at this point I am grasping at straws. If no one else knows them, maybe I have to cede you the last two answers.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"As you wish... Is my favorite Soock line in that episode."
Nelson,

And mine as well! It's not only the delivery, but Spock's slight irreverance that I love so much when he states that line.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm beginning to wonder if you or someone had named them and I missed them!One involved wheeling and dealing for certain crystals. The other involved Kirk kidding that his senior officers were not at odds with each other.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No, no one named them yet. I couldn't think of when it was in Mudd's Women. I considered The Lights of Zetar, but I thought it would be a "close, but no laugh" case. Good question!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Those are the ones Lee.The Lights of Zeta always stuck in my head because of the way Kirk kidded McCoy and Spock at the end of the episode. It was a mildly subtle laugh.And the Mudd's Women example must have been the only time Kirk laughed at someone like that. "No deal!"Your turn! That was a much more involved question then I realized!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks