1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    My first guess was either Court Martial or Conscience Of the King, thinking that perhaps a Yeoman may have poured or served a drink at the table in Court Martial or was the woman holding the tray as she was walking by Kirk and Lenore in Conscience Of the King.

I'm going to go with Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, only because Nelson chose the other episode! ;)

2. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Nelson,That's a shame. I would rather see the unedited episode on VHS tape than a cut episode which is remastered.

3. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Well, that last point was a joint effort--it's Battlefield. A yeoman pours Bele's drink and hovers in the background for the rest of the scene.When I thought it was just Space Seed, I considered that maybe it didn't feel right to them and they avoided showing that again. But it seems to have been just expediency. In Babel, they changed the scene to a buffet so it would be less static (and presumably allow more costume and makeup showing off). And in Beauty, they couldn't have anyone else there or it might have made the "someone is thinking of murder" moment less pointed. But in Battlefield, someone pulled the short straw again. (Of course, I don't really have an alternative...if you give a formal dinner, someone has to serve the food. And since it would be silly to have wait staff permanently assigned to a starship, I suppose the yeomen have to do that occasionally. It just looks strange in that context.)They cut her singing about Charlie, but left her singing about Spock? I understand the economics of why shows are cut in reruns, but that is just a terrible choice. If Charlie's behavior seems motiveless, then the show loses its point.

4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Battlefield! I was going to choose Battlefield! :)I had a feeling that might be the case, I just could not recall if there was wait staff there.You thought that through quite thoroughly as to the logical reasons why someone would not be waiting on the guests in Beauty.So your thinking is that a starship on active duty most likely doesn't have a full time staff that waits on guests and the command crew staff on special occasions? McCoy did say it was McGivers idea for the dinner, so it could have been an impromptu last minute set-up. Battlefield involved hosting a guest, so it seemed to make sense to treat him specially. I guess we can infer that starships during the TOS era have members of the crew that also perform hosting duties. Does seem out of place. But the starship is also involved in diplomatic missions and hosting special guests and passengers. So there must be a staff in the mess that handles these kinds of duties from time to time.I'll ponder a question.

5. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I doubt that Scott will take grave exception to your taking a question, but technically, he won that one by a few percent.My thinking on the subject of wait staff doesn't bear close examination, but here it is: the crew, up to and including the captain, eats independently and on their own schedules, serving themselves via food synthesizers. So would waiters and waitresses just hang out except for the one or two nights a year they are required? It seems to make more sense that the crew members in charge of food processing (like Ensign Roddenberry and his meatloaf) would just step up and help out on those rare occasions.Why doesn't it bear close examination? Lt. McGivers. If they can keep her around all the time in case they find a 20th century sleeper ship, then they can hire two waitresses. (Incidentally, there is NO shame in being a waiter/waitress. I just thought if you have a whole other job, it might not be fun to have to stand around and pour drinks for people like Khan and Bele.)

6. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Lee,

Just a slight correction. I believe it was Acting Ensign Roddenberry. He hadn't officially been promoted at that point.

Nelson,

Yes, please take the next question. I'm looking forward to it. :)

7. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    On an unrelated subject, something struck me as I watched Battlefield yesterday. Certainly, apart from the few first season episodes in which he doesn't appear, this episode gives Dr. McCoy the least to do. He examines Lokai, concurs with Spock's incorrect scientific assessment, looks concerned at the news of the new ship, and disappears forever. I knew that before.What occurred to me was--did DeForest Kelley forget to send someone a birthday card? Of the last ten episodes filmed, he plays small or dramatically insignificant roles in six of them. There were occasional shows before that in which McCoy had less to do, but never such a concentration of episodes. Was it part of the universal push for more of Spock? Or was it the departure of Bob Justman, always a major McCoy supporter? Have any of you thought about this shift before? (Kidding aside, it clearly wasn't a vendetta against DeForest Kelley, as he was extremely important in three of those last episodes.)

8. Nelson Au

Lee, agreed about the question of why you would a historian on board then why not a waitress or two. :)I've never watched Star Trek in chronological broadcast order. So it has never occurred to me before that McCoy's participation in the waning episodes of the third season were less! That's something I'll have to examine! I'll ponder a question as I go through my domestic chores today.

9. Nelson Au

Name the guest star female crewmember characters that caught the attention of a being who the crew visits or is visited by that results in putting the ship and crew in peril.I'm thinking of 5 plus one maybe.

10. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    No, I mean your name...Carolyn Palamas

11. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Dr. Elizabeth Dehner, Marla McGivers, Dr. Ann Mulhall, and Mira Romaine? I'm not sure about Lenore Karidian or Elaan.

12. Nelson Au

"it bugs the percentages" Carolyn is correct! ( and I always thought that line was "bucks the percentages") Through no fault of her own, she fell for Apollo, yet managed to help save the landing party."Mr. Khan, I'm here on business." McGivers takes the prize for most infamous crew women to be taken in by an external being!"I am Mira Romaine." the third season crew women who Scott fell for and who did the Zetarians try to take. "I received orders to report here." Dr. Ann Mulhall was the one I wasn't sure about. She did attract the attention of Sargon and she did put the ship in danger when Henoch subverted her thinking. So she counts!Dr. Dehner I wasn't so sure was a specifically targeted crew women. She seemed to be one of several crew members affected by the barrier. So I didn't count her. Elaan and Lenore were not crew women. So that makes it 3 to 1

13. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Not sure if she rises to the level of "guest star" but Yeoman Ross certainly captures Trelane's attention.

14. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    (We aren't counting Yeoman Rand, are we?)

15. Nelson Au

Time to turn in your glass slippers! Lt. Ross is on my list. Agreed she was a minor guest, but she did catch Trelane's eye.What did you have in mind for Yeoman Rand? Because there's a special case there.

16. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I was thinking of Charlie X.

17. Nelson Au

"Sooner or later, I'm going to have to hurt him."Yes, while Grace was not a guest star, she did capture Charlie's heart and put her and the crew in great peril. So I did count that one. It was the one maybe answer I had mentioned. If I counted right, it's a tie, 3-3. There's one more I have in mind. She falls in the same category as Lt. Ross. Perhaps there's more I missed.

18. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Turns out not to have mattered much, but there's Yeoman Barrows and "Don Juan."

19. Nelson Au

Lee, I didn't think of Barrows. She did attract the attention of Don Juan. Or did she? She was fantasizing about him, but I didn't see him as a threat to the ship or landing party, except perhaps to Barrows uniform.

20. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Just taking a shot in the dark. I don't really think she applies either.