What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (6 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Of course you're right. I meant in the Nichelle Nichols era. She doesn't get a first name through the series, the animated series, or all six movies. Sulu is almost in the same boat, but he got to say "Hikaru" in ST VI. I think Nichols came up with "Nyota" many years ago, but never got to use it herself.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
You guys are too good. Both The Changeling and Elaan Of Troyius are correct. I actually thought that The Changeling was going to be the most difficult episode to recall. And truth be told, I thought that this was going to be a much more difficult question than it turned out to be. Lee wins this round, 5-2.

Lee,

It seems to me that you have an excellent grasp on which characters appeared in which episodes. I really don't have that at my disposal (that is to say, my mind). I can look them up, but you know (e.g.) that Uhura was in this many episodes, Chapel was in that many, etc. I (for whatever reason) don't have the knack to categorize TOS episodes in that fashion. It's a gift, I tell ya! :)

You're up next.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nicely done Lee. I agree with Scott, even though you haven't seen Star Trek as long as others, you've studied it and absorbed it well!I don't recall exactly myself about how and when Uhura's first name was established. You are probably correct Nichols named her herself. I'll have to look that up!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that link Scott!Ron Moore knows TOS very well and I totally agree with him and I have made the exact same comments, as many of of us here have.There's been a lot of "Romanticism" and speculation if a new series was made for TV. I would be very interested in seeing one. What era of Star Trek I'd like to see, I'm not sure of. If it has to be the Abrams universe, hopefully it will be a smartly written show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,You're welcome. If there ever was another television series, I don't think I would want it to be the Abrams universe. I wouldn't mind having it be a John D. F. Black / D. C. Fontana / Ron Moore universe, however. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'll be sure to read that article right away.Scott, I don't necessarily know offhand in how many episodes Uhura or anyone else appeared, but I do usually remember who was in a given show, so I can (with some counting) usually figure it out. Elaan of Troyius took the longest for me because her name was used only in the third person, making it a unique occurrence and not the usual context for hearing it.I'll work on a new question, but only AFTER I read the article.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, I think he makes a very good point. (And I don't just say that because it's the same point Nelson and I made in this forum a year ago.) Audiences have different expectations of movies and television shows.Speaking of movie differences...we have discussed Nicholas Meyer's different sense of Starfleet protocols. In Star Trek VI, we see an official dinner in which junior officers serve as waiters and waitresses. In which episode is there a precedent for that, in which a yeoman actually pours beverages while others sit? (Yeoman Rand giving Kirk lunch in The Corbomite Maneuver doesn't count.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I know this one! I hate to jump in so soon, so I'll wait to see if someone else wants a crack at it! It's an interesting question. And something that's sort of old fashioned perhaps because I never thought of it before. I don't believe we see any official dinners on the Enterprise D or the other spin-off with junior officers acting as food servers. There is one TNG episode that has an official dinner, I'll have to play that one and see if there are food servers. Of course during Enterprise, there is a Chef and someone, who delivers the food to the Captain's private mess.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It jumps out at me because it doesn't happen in any of the other such scenes in the series either. I can say more about it once we have the answer out there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I thought through the possible other scenes from other episodes, and you are right, as far as I can recall, this doesn't happen again. I'll look forward to what your thoughts are.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It is, Scott, but by sheer coincidence, I watched an episode this afternoon that includes a second example!! Good fortune has prevented me from closing a question inaccurately. This second example also features a female crew member pouring drinks without being a participant.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,Fascinating. I have one episode in mind, but I'm going to watch it tonight before I submit my next guess. Of course, others may beat me to it, but that's okay. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh, interesting. Then the second one may be the one I thought might not be the one. I'm beginning to think like Maxwell Smart. :)It's possibly either Is There In Truth No Beauty or Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I asked you not to tell me that...Well, Nelson...the second answer is, as one might suspect, one of those three. Given the nature of the question, though, I will have to ask you to choose.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Difficult choice. Then I choose Beauty. It's a 50/50 chance as I now know its not Journey having just skimmed through it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Charlie X is on MeTV now, just tuned into it a few minutes in. The remastered episodes look great. But they cut half of Uhura's singing out, the whole section where she's singing about Charlie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks