What's new

Scorpion Releasing (new company that offers rare/obscure/campy flicks) (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
There are pre-order listings now up on Amazon.com for Alien Thunder (1974) (starring Donald Sutherland) and Dogpound Shuffle (1975) (starring David Soul), with a release date of Tuesday 28th June, 2011.

MikeDE

Second Unit
My copy of Sextette arrived from Amazon. While this film will always look soft, at least it is finally not in 4:3. The extras are just plain odd. The "liner notes" on the disc rake the film over the coals, calling it a "cinematic turd", pretty much failing to explain the camp appeal, and are full of spelling, grammatical and factual errors. A 38 minute extra from a man who knew Mae West has some interest, but is marred by having different snippets of music from the film running on loops as he talks. Hearing the same 10 second melody over and over and over behind his voice until the subject changes is really annoying. Since extras were included, this goofy movie deserved much better than it got.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Scorpion Releasing's website has been updated, with Georgia Georgia (1972) the only film left in the Coming Soon section. Dogpound Shuffle (1975) has been moved to the Family section, and has some DVD extras info (along with front cover artwork). Where the Boys Are (1984), in the Comedy section, has been updated with DVD extras info. The DVD extras info for these two titles is below:

Dogpound Shuffle (1975) - audio commentary with director Jeffrey Bloom

Where the Boys Are (1984) - on-camera interview with Wendy Schaal, on-camera interview with Russell Todd, theatrical trailer.

Where the Boys Are will be presented in a widescreen 1.78:1 (16x9) ratio. It dosen't say on the Scorpion Releasing website page for Dogpound Shuffle yet, whether it will be presented in a full screen or widescreen aspect ratio.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
8c7728cb_scorpionkatarinadvdnews4.jpg

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by SWFF
FANGORIA: A whole passel of fright-film favorites from the 1970s and ’80s, some never before seen on disc, will hit DVD starting in September as part of Scorpion Releasing’s new Katarina’s Nightmare Theater line. Click past the jump for more info and a bunch of cover art.

[COLOR= rgb(204, 0, 0)]Scorpion[/COLOR] has enlisted former WWE and now TNA star Katarina Leigh Waters to serve as hostess for this series of discs, for which she has taped opening and closing segments and moderated some fresh commentaries. “I am having really great fun hosting these movies,” she says, “and coming up with skits for the introductions—plus I love that I get to meet these filmmakers and talk to them about their creative process on the audio commentaries…it’s inspiring! I hope you enjoy watching the DVDs as much as I enjoy working on them!”

The titles include such previously issued movies as Mark Rosman’s original slasher THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW, Jimmy Huston’s campus-killer opus FINAL EXAM and John Hough’s supernatural-rape shocker INCUBUS, some with new high-definition transfers and extras. New to DVD as part of the line are Paul Lynch’s monster mash HUMONGOUS; the Wings Hauser vehicle THE CARPENTER, directed by David Wellington (no relation to the MONSTER ISLAND author); Don McBrearty’s AMERICAN NIGHTMARE (actually a Canadian film) featuring Michael Ironside; Bruce Pittman’s good/evil twin drama THE MARK OF CAIN; and two from Peter Sasdy: the possession drama THE DEVIL WITHIN HER, starring Joan Collins, and the Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing-starrer NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT. Following the first round of releases in September, more will follow each month through March 2012. Stay tuned for further details!
Well pleased with the titles Scorpion Releasing are going to be bringing out from September through to March next year (I'm assuming the titles mentioned in the Fangoria news article will be all of the titles released during those months, and there won't be un-announced titles announced in the coming months). Already knew about I Don't Want to Be Born (1975) and Nothing But the Night (1972) (trailers for these two titles have been on Scorpion Releasing titles released already). Especially pleased about Final Exam (1981) and American Nightmare being released. The former is OOP, so I'm hoping the DVD extras which were on the BCI release are brought over to Scorpion Releasing's release, and with possible new DVD extras.

Some nice front cover artwork for the titles mentioned in the news article as well.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Looking forward to seeing the front cover artwork for Nothing But the Night. Hoping there will be some interviews as DVD extras.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFF ../../305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/510#post_3811354

THE INCUBUS, of course. Gotta replace my Elite DVD, if it's gonna be an upgraded transfer, with extras, and HUMONGOUS.

NOTE: Quoted post from the HTF Shout! Factory thread in this folder.

I'm intrigued by The Incubus, what with it being directed by John Cassavettes. Interesting that of the films with front cover artwork so far, only The Caretaker and Humongous have an 'Uncut' heading on the artwork. Is this temporary, and other titles are going to be released uncut?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
HUMONGOUS Special Features:

• Audio commentary with Director, Paul Lynch, Writer, William Gray, moderated by Nathaniel Thompson and Katarina Waters.

THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW Special Features:

• New on-camera interviews (Details forthcoming)

• The special features from the previously released DVD: theatrical trailer, storyboard comparisons, photo gallery, and a commentary with Mark Rosman, Eileen Davidson And Kathryn McNeil.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I've been looking forward to "Where The Boys Are '84" for a while. It's been listed on their site for over a year. I wish we had a release date but I'm glad there is a little progress towards its release.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by Robert13
I've been looking forward to "Where The Boys Are '84" for a while. It's been listed on their site for over a year. I wish we had a release date but I'm glad there is a little progress towards its release.
August 23rd according to DVD Aficionado.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
That's great! Thanks for posting the date. I'm really looking forward to this. Haven't seen it in years and held off buying an old vhs copy when I read the dvd was being worked on.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Georgia Georgia said:
August 23rd according to DVD Aficionado.
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing the release date Marcel.

Will Dogpound Shuffle be presented in widescreen, as on Scorpion Releasing's website it only has an audio commentary by the director listed as DVD extras?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Richard, the days when the inclusion of widescreen as an extra feature are long over. There's no reason why Dogpund Shuffle shouldn't be in widescreen unless it was made for television.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Luisito34
Richard, the days when the inclusion of widescreen as an extra feature are long over. There's no reason why Dogpund Shuffle shouldn't be in widescreen unless it was made for television.
Long over?

Actually, when films released by Scorpion Releasing has been presented in widescreen it has been mentioned in the special features section on the pages for these films that they're presented in widescreen, and also on the rear boxart for their titles.

And it is nice to know whether a film is in fullscreen or widescreen or not on a DVD distributor's website or on here in news announcement threads (recent example being the announcement thread for Streetwalkin' from Shout! Factory). And there's nothing wrong in asking whether a film is going to be in widescreen or not.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
There are a couple more titles to add to those mentioned in the Fangoria news article (see post #104 in this thread, and the first post in the separate HTF thread for the Katarina's Nightmare Theater line from Scorpion Releasing). Checked Horror Digital's news article on their website (and the subsequent post replies for any new news on this new range of titles from Scorpion Releasing), and there are two new titles:

Human Experiments (1981) (aka Strange Behaviour)
Mark of Cain (1986).

Both sound good (based on their synopsis's on their IMDb pages). There's more than one film called Mark of Cain. I looked at the 1986 film's main IMDb pageand it's company credits page, and Scorpion Releasing is listed there. When I saw Wendy Crewson's name in the cast list for Mark of Cain I was definitely interested in seeing this film.

Was sure the two new titles above weren't in the Horror Digital news article when I first read it.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Shit, never heard of that one. What is it? Slasher? Thriller? Monster? Supernatural?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks