What's new

Scooby Doo - green snapper?!? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Linda Cardellini (Velma) definitely did it for me, will probably break down and buy this DVD (saw it twice at the theaters).

MichaelG

Second Unit
I agree with you guys, the girl that played Velma looks very nice. I have never heard of her though.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Heh, I applaud WB for coming up with numerous ways for me to identify this disc from afar so I don't have to lay my hands on it. :D

Lafe F

Second Unit
Sorry... Green's already been done by The Grinch, so we can't go there again. Of course the Grinch was in a keepcase, and Scooby's in a snapper. But my Spectrometer measures the Scooby case to be a slightly different shade of green than the Grinch. Nevertheless, I thought of Scooby Doo as blue, evidenced by his collar and all the spooky ghosts. Maybe they've taken the green from the color of Shaggy's shirt, hmm... But why not the Fushia of Daphne's dress or the Red of Velma's sweater? I give up. Maybe the green is a nice wacky color? Didn't the E.T. VHS first come out with a green cassette? Weird discussion indeed.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
Green Snapper!

IT'S HIDEOUS!!!!!!!! Bleeding, out of my eyes...sweet Lord make it stop!!!

GaryEA

Second Unit
We had to pull teeth to get Wonka out in widescreen, but the Doo gets it immediately?

Odd, I thought "family titles" were only going to be full screen, with some exceptions.

-g

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if this release is going to include the steamier version? I heard there was a part where Velma and Daphne kissed.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this release is going to include the steamier version? I heard there was a part where Velma and Daphne kissed.
No, that's not true.
There were a few gags written into early drafts of the script that were meant to appeal to grown-ups. The gags mostly concerned "Scooby Urban Legends". Stuff that was never in the series, but folks made up on their own to explain away things they didn't understand or just thought was funny.
Like in Star Trek, y'know how some folks say Kirk and Spock were gay lovers? No fan of the show would ever agree with that, right? It was just a funny thing folks would say to "explain" why they got on so well.
Well, in Scooby-Doo there were three main things along those lines:
1) Fred and Daphne had to be "doing it" behind-the-scenes; why else was Daphne even there?
2) Velma had to be gay: look at her clothes, her build, her personality, and the fact that she never had a man in her sights.
3) Shaggy and Scooby had to be dopers; it was pot-smoking that gave them munchies all the time.
So the scripters of the live-action Scooby film decided to address those things, in the form of gag scenes. But that draft of the script never called for the girls to kiss. The closest thing was a scene where Daphne was bending down to grab a suitcase, and Freddie could be seen looking down her blouse...and the camera pans over to where Velma is also looking down her blouse.
Noone had any objection to the material itself, but when the running time needed to be trimmed a bit, the producers decided right off that their target audience was the kids, and as such this junk had to be the first stuff to go. And so it was all jettisoned.
What I'm telling you is that none of it was filmed.
There are at least two HTF threads where this was discussed, but I decided to say it all over again to be crystal-clear here.
I haven't seen the film myself (my son has), but I understand that the closest thing that remains in the movie to any of that stuff is a scene where Shag and Scoob are in the Mystery Machine, and it sounds like they may be in there doping it up, but when the camera shows you what they're doing, it turns out to be scarfing down food. What else? :D
So there won't be on the DVD any alternate cuts, no deleted scenes, no nothing like that. As a longtime Scooby-Doo fan I am both happy and sad about that. Sad because it *would* be fun to have these things in there, especially if they could be done in a way that went over the heads of the kids (in other words, the ogling scene I described might be okay, but girl/girl kissing would be stretching it).
But, in the end, happy, because the approach taken of making a live-action story that is true to the classic animated Scooby cartoon and home video design is the way to go. It definately made for bigger box office than WB expected!
Maybe they'll slip this stuff into the now-planned-for sequel, eh?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that reference. But that's exactly the sort of thing I mean: quick jokes that go right over the heads of the kids.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I don't know, Dave. The director has stated before that there were several scenes filmed, one where Velma is singing and it's not clear whether she's singing to Fred or Daphne, and a scene where Fred attempts to spend the night in Daphne's room
So, it sounds like there were several things filmed but got cut out. And I say good riddance! I love Scooby-Doo and I wanted to see a Scooby-Doo movie, not a movie that made it all lowest-common denominator. However, I was glad to see what happened to Scrappy, as I think any real fan of the show would be. I can never watch the episodes with him because he always took over the show, and fans tune in because they love Scooby, not some helium-voiced know-it-all.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Please, no spoilers. This reference to Scrappy isn't anything I know about, and I'm looking forward to discovering this film when the disc is released, okay?

Everything I saw said that nothing was cut from the movie along these lines, that it was never actually filmed. But I can't claim my sources on this are definative, so take what I've said with a grain of salt. How's that?

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
The case could be made of gold but it still would not give me even a bit of interest in watching that movie.

DarrenA

Second Unit
Not to get OT but I found the green keepcase for The Grinch to be perfect for that particular movie. Also, the beautiful Dark Green keepcase for LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring seemed to fit well with the "middle earth" tone of that movie as well.
However, I agree with others here. The green snapper for Scooby-Doo seems a little weird unless it's merely a reference to the scooby "DOOBY";) doo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks