What's new

Sci-Fi's Battlestar Galactica miniseries opinions (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
THey were whooping it up on the Rising Star With Ray Milland But I guess the point being they were all corrupt individuals. Also they did all go down and party in the intergalactic Foxwoods with the Supremes with the 3 Faces.

I agree the miniseries missed the mark by not showing the "Fleet" of Battlestars (In the Original all stock footage) being wiped out. They did make the attempt of showing the Nuking of the colonies and the after effect of that, but even that they could of shown in more detail. But other than this I thought the miniseries was pretty good. I would've liked to see that these people were a bit different from us, they original does a better job of this with the religeous aspects. You always got the feeling that the colonists were the ancient astronauts alluded to in books. The new series despenses somewhat with the mysticism, although I'm not sure that would work now.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

That may be why YOU liked the show, but there were several things about the original that I didn't like that much, choosing to ignore them instead, so to enjoy the rest of the series.

I feel the same way about the new show, there is some stuff I could live without, but overall it wasn't bad. They are two different entities, but at this point I'm not going to say the old show was superior or vice versa.

Bob-R

Agent
If you won't say it, then I will...

The 1978 Battlestar Galactica is FAR superior!!!!

I did check out the newest episode of this new show (The title of this TV show just suddenly slipped my mind :D ) and it's the same doom and gloom, monotonus crud, even the main title sequence depicts fighters being shot down and fiery explosions while the "end of the world" main theme is playing quietly in the background, the one and only bright spot was the guest star Richard Hatch, that was great, other than that...:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

If you want doom, gloom, and so called "real life" situations, then, I guess this show is for you, but, for me, I am sticking with the real, and only, Battlestar Galactica.

Also, I just wanted to mention, the word "frack", on the original show it was used as a funny, throwaway line (as well as felgercarb) and we all know what they meant, but on this show they'll say, here's an example of what someone would say, "Open the fracking door", now to me, that's unintentionally funny and stupid to say and even childish, definitely not serious at all, now just saying "Open the door" in a forceful manner would be alot better than that silly line. That's just one other thing that bugged me.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Well...

Here's to many more BATTLESTAR GALACTICA epsiodes as the series has been cleared for another 13 episodes...

and here's hoping not to see Daggits or Boxies.

Dugger

Rick P

Supporting Actor
At the risk of getting fracked over, a very well thought out comparision of the new vs old is over at DVDTalk...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/cineschlock/b...tar/index.html

the bottom line...

"Why it's standard operating procedure in Tinseltown to risk alienating a devout fanbase whilst angling to appeal to a contemporary audience. Yet, to their credit, this 25th anniversary gamble pays nearly as handsomely as John Carpenter's transcendent take on The Thing! Another of those rarified cases where the original is the original, the remake is the remake and BOTH stand as profound creative achievements. For nostalgia's sake, yours truly revisited the Battlestar Galactica box set -- specifically the "Saga of a Star World" movie pilot -- and did a little comparing and contrasting with Mr. Moore's miniseries."

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Chris,
So ratings rules everything? Remember, just because a show has a longer life in its prime doesn't mean that it'll last in people's hearts after it's gone. BG had ONE season and is as beloved as Star Trek, or Space: 1999. This show has already gotten off to a rocky start, is S-L-O-W, and seriously lacks direction. Show 4 and I still don't know EXACTLY what these people are doing. Even B5 moved its story arc along in its early shows. Space: 1999's arc was very clear, as was Star Trek's. I don't know what this "reimaging" of BG is working towards. Finding Earth? I guess it's in the back, dusty corner of someone's mind.

For a show with a trumpeting name like "Battlestar Galactica", it's really not doing much for me as far as living up to its name.

EDIT: My wife fell asleep during this week's "oh, no another prisoners-take-hostages" episode.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks