What's new

Sci-Fi from Warner (1 Viewer)

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

Yes, but once you have a multi region player, nothing stops you from ordering overseas from actual uk shops like Amazon.uk. I've been a patron of many US DVDs and its so infruiating that all these great new titles are closed off to me, because Best Buy does not ship overseas. No wonder the studios go for it, its the only way their pig headed, dated, multi region practice can be upheld

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps. But I'm not saying you're not allowed; you're the one chastizing others for their right to complain!

Your move! :D

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory

Not really....

First, the number of releases that are in r1 but not in r2 hugely outnumbers the releases you can get in r2 but not in r1.

The r1 catalogue is far, far larger and contains many more cult, niche, special interest (call them what you will) films. Moreover, there are numerous occasions where r1 has received superior editions, in terms of extras, or where our censors have sliced them to bits.

This is inevitable given the nature of the r1 market compared to r2. The studios have always treated the r1 market as their first priority. r2 just gets second servings, if we are lucky. The only exception to this is the few bits and pieces that have been picked up by small labels here - our equivalents of the old Image or Dark Sky.

Second, there's nothing to stop you buying these r2 titles - they are readily available from (for example) Amazon. I can't readily think of any that have been released in r2 that are exclusive to a store that doesn't ship internationally. The release in America isn't the problem, it's the exclusivity to a store that doesn't shop outside of the US.

Lastly, the idea of asking a friend to get them is OK, but frankly, I don't like to impose on someone who has already generously got hold of titles in the past. Particularly if it means asking someone to trudge off to some bricks and mortar store that can be miles away, rummaging through badly stocked shelves.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

I wouldnt complain if Worst Buy actually STOCKED the damn things. I've been waiting for a copy of Phase IV for weeks now. The closest store that has one is about 800 miles away! Nothing in the whole of washington or oregon. Oh, I could get them off BB.com - but they've been back ordered since the release.

So, is that a fair complaint? Yeah, I think so.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Rick! Help a droog out and buy me a set of these! I'll send you ...ummm.... there's no Canadian exclusive DVDs I can think of... Maple Syrup? :frowning:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I guess what I'm saying is that if someone wants these titles and lives in the US, they should just be happy that they're coming at all even if it requires jumping through hoops (like a backordered website) to get them. I certainly don't feel sorry for anyone too impatient to wait for a backordered item that they want.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Is it okay with you if I "whine" that I have no interest in any of these titles (personally)* and would have much preferred that we got the Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre horror titles, like FRANKENSTEIN 1970, THE WALKING DEAD, and THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS?

*as I said though, I still think it's good that these are coming out for those who want them

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
What surprises me is that these releases were so far off anyone’s radar and almost were announced as they are being shipped. This does not sound anything at all like Warner Brothers. Even the three Universal sets were announced two or three months before release. When an on-line DVD sale company had an exclusive on a couple of Warner releases a year or so back, they were promoted well in advance of release.

I can understand Best Buy doing the exclusive as they were happy with the Universal title sales. Evidently since the Best Buy web site and some stores are sold out of many of the Legend/Paramount titles, the exclusive does work.

I am not a fan of Best Buy and rarely shop there for DVD’s since they do not carry most of the catalog releases that I crave, but to get these six titles, I am there, so it works.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Not everyone lives within a reasonable distance of a Best Buy.

By granting a monopoly to Best Buy, it's highly unlikely that we'll see any good deals on these discs.

Several studios have released bare-bones DVDs through Best Buy, only to announce a feature-laden double dips a couple months later. I doubt it'll happen in this case, but it does give cause not to make the purchases right off the back.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to complain about these kind of deals.

----------------
Now playing: Steve Gibson with Leo Laporte - Security Now 153: Bad Phorm - Sponsored by Astaro Corp.
via FoxyTunes

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Fortunately, it appears that Netflix is carrying these titles, eventually at least. I was unable to find PAPA'S DELICATE CONDITION at Best Buy, but Netflix carries it. Sooner or later, they will list the Warner Bros. titles also, I suspect.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'll pay $20 via Paypal to a middleman for WORLD WITHOUT END/SATELLITE IN THE SKY.

Some of the Paramount titles from Legend Films were Best Buy exclusives and that still hasn't been resolved. Again, $20 for Phase IV, folks!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hey - I found a copy of Phase IV finally! It's the next state over and about 250 miles away, but they had them in stock! Huzzah!

Hell, I should drive there and scalp the damn things on ebay. That'll at least pay for gas.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
That's what some people are doing, scalping the Legend / Paramount DVD's on ebay for twice the listed price. And they're selling, too.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
There is "unofficial" word (or rumour if you more precisely wish) that Warner Brothers Home Entertainment plans a later September release of the three SF double feature DVD sets that will be coming out next week under the auspices of BEST BUY.

This sounds entirely plausible to me! Just to look at the packaging designs they outwardly appear as regular Warner Brothers DVD releases (with no real affiliation specifically with BEST BUY). If true many of us disadvantaged may not be left out after all.

Jeff T.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Good call. But that makes sense because they are aimed at a similar demographic to the sci fi films sold in the midnight movies series.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Walked into Best Buy at 10:30AM(est) this morning, grabbed one of each from the main display, paid, walked out happy.

Much, MUCH better than the awful Legend/Paramount/BestBuy fiasco.

I wish you all the best of luck finding these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks