What's new

Schedule for Fall 2003 Big Screen Classics in Suffern, NY (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm looking forward to seeing PATHS OF GLORY in the glory of 35mm on the big screen. The extra bonus short sounds very interesting. Will there be any other special short subjects in the weeks and months ahead?

By the way, the ongoing restoration of this fabulous theater is amazing. I hadn't been to a film there in a few months, and went back last week for the Tom and Jerry/3 Stooges show. The progress was fantastic! Unlike some other vintage theatres in the New York area, the Lafayette management is dedicated to really bringing this great showplace back to its former glory. Everybody in the tri-state area with an appreciation for classic film, and the great movie palaces which originally presented them, should make an effort to see a film at this theatre. You'll be glad you did!

Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks, Bob. I had my run-through this afternoon and the print of PATHS OF GLORY is very good - nice, contrasty black & white with full-bodied sound. The RHAPSODY OF STEEL short is very interesting - it looks like a late-1950s Warner Brothers cartoon and it tells its story very well. Gary Merrill's stern-sounding narration is very late-50s ("And so you can see how steel is truly a treasure from outer space!"). Tiomkin's music is a treat to hear and the print is near-flawless with eye-popping Technicolor!

Yes, we will try to have some other shorts with the upcoming programs, but nothing firm, so I don't want to mention any titles.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the ongoing restoration, it's nice to see the audience notice the improvements. This fall will finally see the new carpeting and the aisle lights and that's about all that's left to do!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Unlike some other vintage theaters in the New York area
Might you be referring to the Loews Jersey Bob?

I haven't seen any posts from you or Pete regarding the restoration or programs from that theater in a while.

Please update us on that situation if you are able to. Thanks.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The Loews Jersey restoration seems stalled to me. The last time I was there, I didn't really notice anything new. That doesn't mean they're not working on stuff, but, if they are, it's not generally visible to the audience. Their film program is somewhat irregular now and the website currently lists nothing beyond what played *last* weekend. I really hope they finish the restoration - the place could be magnificent if done right.

Update on the print of WINGS running this Saturday, the 18th at 11:30 am: From my inspection on the rewinds today, it appears to be a near-mint 35mm print made in the last year or so. The contrast is gorgeous and I believe it's the original roadshow version, since Reel 3 ends with an "Intermission" tag, which we will, of course, retain. Best of all, it's a full-aperture silent print, so there's no cropping anywhere. I have to cut new plates by Saturday, it should look fantastic for the show. Jeff Barker is preparing his music and will do his usual first-class job of accompaniment on the Mighty Wurlitzer.

Any HTF members who come by, please introduce yourself! I'm always roaming the lobby before the show starts - just ask any staff member to point me out.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Pete, the fact that you are actually going through the trouble (and expense) to install new full-frame aperture plates for this event speaks volumes for your showmanship integrity.

Nelson Page and the Lafayette Theater are indeed fortunate to have you as their Director of Film Programming. Keep up the great work!

Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's LIGHTS OUT this Saturday!

WAIT UNTIL DARK (the exciting thriller starring Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin) is this Saturday's attraction and we will be recreating the original Radio City Music Hall theatrical gimmick - the lights in the auditorium will be turned as low as legally possible during the exciting climax of the film.

We will also have a special short subject - title to be announced at showtime.

Hope to see some of you there - showtime is 11:30 am!

Big Screen Classics

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks