What's new

Scenes That Gave You A Chill... (1 Viewer)

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Apocalypse Now, Martin Sheen asks a soldier who is in charge and the reply is, "Ain't you?"

Plus most of the others mentioned in this thread!

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
A few more to add to the one's I already listed.

Reservoir Dogs - The "Ear" scene.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Any scene with that ghost in the bathroom, she just freaks me out!

Lilo & Stitch - When stitch is in the middle of the forest and he reads the book and looks up and says "I'm lost"

Monster's Inc. - The ending scene, "Kitty!"

The Other's - When they finally realize what's going on.

The Ring - So many damned scenes, I can't pick just one................well OK, if you insist, I'll pick the scene where Noah is in his apartment towards the end and the phone starts ringing. You know what happens next.

Forrest

Auditioning
A lot of great movies mentioned, but the one that gets me is Babe:
...the man who in his life had uttered fewer words than any of them knew exactly what to say. That'll do Pig. That'll do.

Matthew_Brown

Stunt Coordinator
The Ring (original) where just after watching the creepy video you see reflected in the suddenly black screen a indistinct image of Sadako.

The idea that someone could be in the room silently with you behind you and you could suddenly see them reflected, watching you is quite simply creepy.

Andy Hercock

Auditioning
I've always been a fan of Hong Kong films, especially the earlier John Woo stuff. Forget about his Hollywood garbage (with the possible exception of Face/Off) - his HK films contain some of the most emotionally-driven scenes I've ever encountered in an action film. Not to mention that he basically created the whole two-fisted-gun-slinging, sideways-diving-bullet-dodging genre that we all know and love today. Everyone above who referenced scenes from any of the Matrix films as being "badass" or giving them chills should check out Hard-Boiled, A Better Tomorrow, Bullet in the Head, Heroes Shed No Tears or (most importantly) The Killer to see just where the Wachowski's got that stuff from. There are also many directors still working in HK today who are carrying on Woo's tradition; see Johnny To's A Hero Never Dies or Full-Time Killer for some good examples.

On the same token while getting back to the subject at hand (and please beware of possible spoilers): the final scene between Jeff/John/Joe (Chow Yun-Fat, depending on which version you're watching) and Sidney (Chu Kong) in The Killer. Powerful, glorious, heroic stuff that gets you right there if you're into that sort of thing, which I am.

- The final 10-15 minutes of The Last of the Mohicans.

- The entire Ode To Joy sequence from Immortal Beloved.

- Two scenes from Waking Ned Devine, strangely enough: the funeral scene where Jackie is giving Ned's eulogy and is forced to use another name due to the presence of the Lotto man; he replaces Ned with Michael and over the course of the speech we realize that he is speaking not only to Ned but to his best friend of many years at the same time. Also, the very end where the main characters climb the hill and raise their glasses to Ned while "The Parting Glass" plays over it. Great scenes in a wonderful little film.

- The end of The Lion King when Simba climbs up Pride Rock in the rain with Hans Zimmer's amazing score booming out... a true testament to the power that animated films can truly have. Now that I think about it, the beginning is pretty amazing, too.

- I love that someone already mentioned the final montage scene from Cinema Paradiso. Anyone who has even the slightest bit of love for film can't help but be affected by the significance of that imagery.

There are many, many more but those are some of my favorites.

Eric C D

Second Unit
Many great moments - twas glad to see Gallipoli and Breaker Morant mentioned. I have to second L.A. Confidential "Lolo Tomasi," and agree with many on the ending of Se7en. On the whole Star Wars openings theme, I'd have to add the first time I saw the teaser for Phantom Menace.

So I read through all the posts, and think I can add a few:

Dead Man Walking: "...the face of love..." and when Sister Prejean puts her hand on his shoulder.

And to show my age,

True Grit: Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn: "Fill your hands, ..."

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The ending scene

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Regarding True Grit, that finale when Rooster is facing charging the bad guys like a knight with a lance is my favorite gunfight. The Duke's got the reigns in his teeth, a pistol in one hand and a rifle in the other. I loved how he twirled his rifle to reload.

CharlieD

Grip
Some that haven't been mentioned.

When Paul Newman steals the truck in Cool Hand Luke.

When Cheif speaks the first time in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Cate Blanchet's last line in Elizabeth

When Chaz rides with Royal in the ambulance at the end of Royal Tennebaums

When Spike Lee throws the garbage can through the window in Do The Right Thing

The look on Kevin Spacey's face after he gets shot in American Beauty

The scene in the hotel room in The Conversation

"They call me Mr. Tibbs" from In the Heat of the Night

When Michael's car blows up killing Appolonia in The Godfather

When Sonny is killed in the Godfather

When Tessio asks Tom Hagen if he can get him out of it for old time's sake in The Godfather

When they find the baby dead in Trainspotting

When the "Sloth" guy wakes up in Se7en

When Bonnie and Clyde are killed

When the end of "Layla" starts playing in Goodfellas

When Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris prepare to fight in the Collusium

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks