What's new

Scenes That Gave You A Chill... (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
The movie ended up being a letdown, but the opening of The Phantom Menace when you first hear the music and Star Wars flashes on the screen. After years of anticipation, that feeling was awesome.

It was mentioned, but the curb scene in American History X. That was the most I ever cringed in a movie.

Home run at the end of The Natural

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The Natural is my all time favorite sports movie. I always get a thrill when Roy is asked to throw one over the plate by one of the Knights players after one of their practices. When he throws so hard that the ball gets stuck in the netting, you are reminded of the awesome potential the guy had as a pitcher. His teammates know him as some old guy who can still hit the cover off the ball but they don't know half of it. Just being a part of that hidden secret makes me as little giggly as a schoolgirl.:b

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
There are some great ones on here, her are some I thought about while reading:

-Miss Celie preparing to shave "Mister" in the Color Purple
-Carl killing Doyle in Slingblade
-The rape scene and fire extinguisher scenes in Irreversible
-The 180 degree neck turn in the Exorcist
-The body drained of blood in Exorcist 3
-Escaping the house at the end of Amityville Horror
-"It's all for you Damien" and the end of The Omen
-The elevator scene in The Eye

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The movie ended up being a letdown, but the opening of The Phantom Menace when you first hear the music and Star Wars flashes on the screen. After years of anticipation, that feeling was awesome.
Good call. I still remember making a point to go on the first day of release, albeit in the evening after work. By the time AotC came out, I was more senior and helped myself to a 3-hr lunch break on opening day... and will probably do the same when Ep3 comes out.

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
When Gort begins to melt out of his encasing in The Day The Earth Stood Still

When Decker shoots Pris, Roy kills Tyrell and the final roof top scene in Blade Runner

When Leeloo studies the wars in Human history while on the way back to save Earth in The Fifth Element

When the endoskeleton rises from the flaming wreckage in Terminator

When the eclipse begins and it starts to get dark in Pitch Black

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Danny Elfman's theme for Batman, especially in Batman Returns in the opening credits as the main title unfolds and all the bats fly past. I was so disappointed when they went with another theme for Batman Forever, though the score for that film is the least of its problems.

I still hope for a Burton sequel to Returns, but unlikely now.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Arwen's ride in FOTR. Up until then, it was a great story. During the chase, the chills went up my spine and never left until the end. For me, the movie changed from good to an instant classic the second she said "Give him to me . . ."
You know, that entire sequence does it for me. It's one of the best scenes in the first film. All the Nazgul raising their swords togther - holy shit.

Say what you want about Liv Tyler, but that gal acts the hell out of that scene just with her eyes.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Harry Lime's speech in "The Third Man" about the "dots".
Yeah, that speech is magnificent. Everyone always quotes the little speech about the cuckoo clock, which is excellent, but I think that one atop the Ferris wheel is even better.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I just remembered this one!

The NeverEnding Story - Artex and the Swamps of Sadness...The Wolf (I think its called the Mouge or something like that :))...The reason its called "The Neverending Story".

Brian_J

Second Unit
A scene that is not really chills exactly is from Goodfellas when Pesci is stabbing the dude in the trunk. Its tough to watch (and hear).

Brian

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
John Cusack in Identity, when hes wondering why all the strangers stranded at the motel has the same birthday and where they are all from and suddenly he starts "spazzing" and is suddenly transported to the psychiatrist's office... then he sees his own reflection in the mirror...! One of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator

Akira: the whole ending

Fight Club: the whole film

Baraka: the scenes with the little chickens

Magnolia: third act

Dogville: third act again

David*14

Auditioning
The very end of The Usual Suspects where Verbal says

"Poof! He's gone" and it just ends like that. Sends a chill down my back and makes my hair stand. I get a chill whenever I think of it. The BEST ending ever!

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Exorcist III: the statue/ghost thing that follows the nurse in that long hallway shot at the hospital.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 virtually the whole film but especially when The Bride gets a hold of two swords and the "Nobody But Me" song starts cueing up in the Crazy 88 Battle

Silence of The Lambs Clarice in the "Your-Self Storage" building discovering the head.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
Temple of Doom: 1)When the slave has his heart ripped out and 2)When Indy is standing in the light of the mine car right before he punches the Thugee guard.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Gandalf and Frodo come over the hill in a wagon, and there is the SHIRE! Right in front of me! After twenty years of reading the books, and four years following the development of the movie, there it was, in all its beautiful hobbit glory! A moment I will never forget.

Also:
-the opening to 2001: A Space Odyssey

-the entire final sequence of The Natural from Roy's big hit to the game of catch at the end

-"I coulda been a contender...I coulda been somebody..."

-Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen take the reins of the hearse in The Magnificent Seven and that great musical theme begins to kick in

-Jim's steep ride down the mountain in The Man From Snowy River

-the Crispin's Day speech from Kenneth Branagh's Henry V

-when DeNiro tries to catch the pop fly at the end of Bang the Drum Slowly

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
There are many great moments in many movies that have grabbed me, but one moment stands out above all the rest.

It's the end of The Dead Poets Society where the kids says, "Oh, Captain! My Captain!" Then he and a bunch of the other students stand on their desks in homage to their former teacher and in defiance of the system they've found themselves in.

I think this film changed my life. I'd *highly* recommend it to anyone who's not yet seen it.

- bones

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks