What's new

Scenes in trailers NOT in the movie! (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I've always assumed, for the older titles at least, that because the Trailers were not generally put together by the Studios themselves and in order to have them ready well in advance of the completed movie, the Studios would rush early available footage to the Trailer Maker, well before the Movie's final edit, thus the inclusion of scenes that never made it to the final print.

I maybe wrong, but it seems to me to be the most logical explanation.

John*P

Second Unit
There are a few short clips in the Breakfast Club trailer that aren't a part of the movie. (the DVD or TV versions) You can watch this trailer on the "High School Reunion" DVD edition of the film...

Can't say i like knowing this but "Spice World" comes to mind... my sister always mentions them cutting out scenes - she's even convinced they edited the theatrical version taking out a few scenes.

3 scenes she mentioned

the Spice girls in the washroom - one of them asks "is my dress too short?" they reply "no" and she proceeds to hike it up

The spice girls in their bus (probably) and one of them saying "it's so hot in here, i need a fan" and then a screaming fan comes running in.

posh spice at party of some kind, the waiter asking if she'd like some pate, andher saying "no, but i will try some of this gray stuff" (i think this is the scene she thinks was in the theatrical version and not in the home video release

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
In the Problem Child trailer it shows Junior attacking the milkman & blowing up all the milk bottles with a RC helicopter while he is on the roof of his house. That scene did not make the original theatrical cut but was included on the TV version & a photo of that scene (he his wearing a red cowboy hat) is on the back of the original VHS tape & the old DVD release from Goodtimes.

I need to dig it out from some file backups I have, but the Truman Show had a ton of footage in it's trailers that didn't appear in the actual movies. I used to download trailers all of the time (before studios got wise and started putting them up as embedded files on websites).

Also, not totally related, but the theatrical trailer for Dogma had much better music than the version that is on the DVD now. I don't know if it was a music rights issue or what, but the music on the DVD sounds like some kind of circus reject, where the original trailer had something a bit more adrenaline fuelled.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
While Godzilla (98) had a few teasers made up just to be teasers (t-rex in the museum, new years eve ball) the fishing one contained the sequence from the film, but the final shot of Godzilla's eye opening and staring at the two guys on the dock wasn't in the movie. Probably wasn't meant to be, but it is a fun shot none-the-less.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

Maybe because (IIRC) it was supposed to be a "mockumentary" complete with interviews of the actors "in characters"

Excellent link Julian! Thanks!

Also, I agree that the Truman Show trailers fell into more of the "mocumentary" style teaser, that didn't need to show purely footage from the film. I don't know if the scenes in the trailer were created exclusively for promotional use, but I remember they really got me excited to see the movie before it hit theaters.

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
I remember the Trumania anthem song. I'm pretty sure that was cut (even if the trailer spliced with other footage of it being played of giant screens, which was as not how it was going to be used in the film).

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
The original US trailer for ONE MILLION YEARS BC has footage of the wild cavegirl dance by Martine Beswicke which was edited from the US release version.

Fox stupidly used the short edited US cut of the film on the recent DVD (even though they put the uncut version out on laserdisc a few years earlier). But at least the trailer's on there to show you that you just bought a cut DVD.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott

Berenger: "That ball wouldn't have been out of most parks."

Sheen: "Name one."

Berenger: "Um... Yellowstone?"

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Paul. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Just saw a new tv ad for The Longest Yard and it contained a scene not in the movie. One of the big guys says "I hate my father" and Chris Rock sits up and says "I hate you too."

There is a scene in "Eve of Destruction" that shows Eve (the robot) dancing in the club with some hillbillies. This scene is in the trailer but not in the film.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Yes, that forest scene is from the unreleased orc ambush scene, after the Mines of Moria sequence, where they are rescued by Haldir and his elves.

Elrond on the bridge is more than a shot... It's Elrond and Arwen on the bridge, and there's a line in the trailer from an entire scene that did not make it in any edition of the film. Elrond says to Arwen, "You have given away your life's grace. I cannot help you any longer." Then he walks away, leaving her on the bridge.

I seem to recall there being a scene in every trailer that wasn't in any edition, but I can't think of them all right now.

But I prefer some of the alternate line readings in the trailers, too. Theoden's "Where is the horse and rider" speech is much more world weary in the trailer, I think. But I'll admit Frodo's "It's getting heavier" from early in Two Towers is a much more intense and better line reading in the finished film. He sounds almost bored in the trailer.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The preview for Two Towers (that they attached to the end of FOTR) had a gorgeous shot of Arwen at Edoras, and it pulls back and gives you a view of the entire valley. Beautiful shot, never made it to the final film.

Rather distractingly, it was in ROTK, but played backwards, without the same impact.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

there is tons more in that and other forever trailers and the u2 vid cant say what (not able to dig out my laser).

but i was mad on forever b4 it came out and memorize everything and none of it showed up.

The proposed directors cut may shed some light us in the uk for one have to live with a heavily censored cut as it is

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

I remember that U2 video for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" having a clip from the film's original opening sequence. It was a very dark clip of one of the walls from Arkham Asylum with text scribbled on the wall of Two-Face's cell. I forget exactly what it said, but it was something to the effect of "The Bat Must Die".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks