What's new

Scenes in trailers NOT in the movie! (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I purchased a bunch of the Fox titles that came out this past Tuesday and was struck by the includsion of two scenes in trailers that were not in the finished product. Of course, trailers are often made before the final product is edited so it's understandable so I was curious if other HTFers can come up with examples other than my two.

The trailer for Warlock has a scene with Dorothy Malone telling Richard Widmark that she wants Henry Fonda killed and she'll do what she has to to get it done. The scene was removed from the film proper.

The trailer for The Best Of Everything has a very brief glimpse of Joan Crawford at a bar talking to the bartender that is nowhere to be found in the film proper.

Any other examples?

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
In the Addams Family movies, you can seen scenes not in the movies too. And badly, the DVD are barebones (Only trailers as special features) and the deleted scenes aren't in the DVDs.

The 'Burbs as also many scenes in the trailer missing from the bonus or the movie.

I don't remember the others on the DVD I have...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Funny you should mention this. I just bought "Racing Stripes" last week. My niece loved the commercial where the two flies rap; "Old McDonald had a zebra.....". Anyway, after watching the DVD, she was saddened that this clip wasn't included in the film. Luckily for her though, the DVD contains the trailer with the rap song intact. lol.

Mark E J

Second Unit
A really great example of this is The Perfect Storm, the teser had several scenes not in the movie and the full trailer had the most deleted scenes I've ever scene in a trailer. Probably about a third of the footage in the full trailer is not in the movie.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Nothing earth-shattering here, but...

In the trailer for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington there is a shot of Jefferson Smith being honored back home in a parade, presumably an original ending.

The trailer for The Adventures of Robin Hood shows Robin and Marian riding off together at the end. The movie actually closes as they leave the castle.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The famous "tire through the windshield" shot from Twister was probably the most memorable thing in the trailer - and it never appeared in the film.

The teaser trailer for Star Trek: First Contact was cut together while the FX were still in production, so it featured TV shots of the Enterprise-D in the space scenes, and other left-over footage from TNG when the actors had to be seen firing weapons. Naturally none of this footage appeared in the finished film. Only non-FX live action and dialogue shots from the actual film made it into the teaser.

Regards,

Joe

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I remember that Twister shot. Tom Sizemore's character says "don't let that man crawl" in the Black Hawk Down trailer, but its not in the movie. Also there is a single shot in the Independance Day trailer where one of Randy Quaid's children was standing there.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Apparently, the Joan Crawford scene in The Best of Everything trailer leads into a whole big drunken scene of Crawford's that was cut.

Death Becomes Her has a trailer full of stuff not it the movie, even the back of the video box had an image not in the movie! There's a movie that needs a full-blown-all-out special editon.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
One of the trailers from License to Drive is made up almost entirely of scenes from the original ending which was later re-shot. I seem to recall the the trailer for Working Girl had a number of shots not in the film.

-Lyle J.P.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Apparently a lot besides Crawford's big scene was cut from The Best Of Everything, David, in order to whittle the film down to 2 hours.

The film's four leads were Hope Lange, Suzy Parker, Diane Baker and Martha Hyer. The first three were Fox contract players. So naturally guess who's part was seriously cut? Watching the film, Hyer's storyline isn't even resolved. Her story just stops.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Alfred Hitchcock's Rope... although this was done on purpose. The entire trailer serves as a prelude to the beginning of the movie.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
the star wars dual of the fates music video and all new trilogy star wars trailers have footage not in the movies.

and the less said about the alien3 teaser the better...

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
The Man with the Golden Gun teaser has quite a lot of deleted footage...

Some Thunderball trailers contain a few seconds of cut footage as well.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Good Morning Vietnam's theatrical trailer included part of one of Adrian Cronauer's (Robin Williams) routines where he was doing a pretty good Ethel Merman impersonation, of Ethel singing 'Silent Night.' I laughed myself sick, and was pretty angry that it was not in the movie.

Interestingly enough, that particular trailer does not appear on the DVD.

Another trailer with unseen footage was the original for the first Spider-Man. There was a scene of some nasty bank robber types making their getaway in a helicopter, and being snagged by Spidey's web, which was strung between the World Trade Center towers. That footage was re-filmed in the wake of 9/11, and has never been seen again, that I know of. That trailer certainly wasn't on the DVD.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
just ssaw the railer for Working girl and it has several bits not in the film.
THE BEST OF EVERYTHING was originally meant to be along special running movie but Fox changed their mind late in the game. Many of Crawfords scensa dn Martha Hyers scenes were cut and a bucnh of scenes with Diane Baker and Robert Evans were cut. I was surprised to see that litle bit with Crawford show up in the trailer.
also on Fox dvd - trailer for Return to Peyton place has a scene of a house fire. this was the original ending of the film (not used) when Mary Astors hous catches on fire and she dies.
not on dvd yet - Garden of Evil. At the end of the film, we hear Susan Hayward look at the land and say "the old Priest called it the Garden of evil" What old priest. Apparently, an old priest tried to talk the gang out of going to the Garden of Evil. A brief clip of this is in the trialer.
the Wizard of Oz trailer shows a marching band singing Ding Dong the Witch is dead" welcming Dorothy and her friends back to Emerald city.
the Trailer for the Pirate(Garland) shows an earlier version of the number Mack the Black.
the Trailer for Hello Dolly has alternate angles of some scenes. You also get to hear a different end for the Parade Passes By number. In the film, the end is sung by Barbra alone, in the trailer sings sing it backed up by the chorus.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

According to the producers that sequence was created solely for the teaser trailer, well in advance of the film's completeion, as a way of showing how they would use the Spiderman character and anchoring him in New York they way the comic books did. So it does not represent something "cut" from the film, but rather something that was never intended to be in the film. (Which seems to be a subset of the trailers we're discussing here generally.)

Yeah, after the towers came down they got a bit squeamishm for obvious reasons, and pulled that footage from the promos. The DVD was released soon enough after the event that they still held it back. I suppose some future archival HD edition they might restore the trailer, once they feel enough time has passed.

Regards,

Joe

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
There is also The Incredible trailer where it shows Bob having great difficulty getting into his suit and shouting to his wife that he'll just have a salad for dinner.

I wonder if these trailers containing scenes that are not in the final movie would be considered FALSE ADVERTISING?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

No. There's no law that trailers have to include ONLY footage found in the final flick. They're ads - they can put whatever they want in them. In fact, the best trailers - like Hitchcock's one for Psycho - include little/no footage from the actual movie...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks