What's new

Scariest, Spookiest, will have nightmares for a week DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I can not reccomend more highly The Texas Chainsaw Massacre more highly. It is the most Terrifying film I have ever seen in my life. I captures the "nightmare" aspesct so vividly it's not even funny. No Horror film has ever been able to re capture it.
Also high on my list of fav horror films...
Black Christmas
Evil Dead 2
and
Battlefield earth (ewhat were they thinking)
I know all of these movies have been mentioned before but I'm reinforcing this standard.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dan, I am in complete agreement with you regarding Wise's THE HAUNTING (1963). The IMPLICATION of horror is so much more disturbing than the graphic depiction of it. Filmmakers today have not learned the lesson that less is more, and gets audiences to feed off their imaginations(thus the terrible 1999 re-make). If Warner Bros. continues to ignore this (they missed their shot at a tie-in release two years ago), they will continue to earn my disrespect. Not that they give a s**t.

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
I second “Audition”.......kiri kiri kiri.........what a sick, sick sick movie - I loved it!!!
& Lords of Illusions - Barkers best movie by a mile.....
And can recommend:
Fire Walk With Me - various really freaky scenes....
Lost Highway - more of the above - German DVD
Don’t Look Now - amazing movie - I have the German DVD
If you like “The Others” try the directors two other movies - both are pretty creepy...
Thesis
Open Your Eyes
The Exorcist - the version you’ve never seen - this blows the original out of the water!
Texas 1 & 2
Dawn of The Dead
Maniac is great splater!
The Vanishing - Dutch version
Nightwatch - buy the AB version - good chills.....
and, of course.....
The Exorcist III - a vastly underated movie. Bill Blatty rocks!!
Enjoy
Rich

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
If you are looking for just plain disturbing, check out Apt Pupil. The scene with the cat always gets me. Another freaky film is Maniac (now on dvd) the first scene with the couple in the car, wow! Gross out effects!
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Omen for the overall tone of a movie, very dark. The original Friday the 13th. The series has been run into the ground, but the first one is still good!
Requiem for a dream did little for me ( in terms of disturbing me or causing me to look away, loved the music thou) , probably because I deal with people in that mind set day in and day out! It has some good qualities in it thou, my wife that it was pretty intense with what these people go thru...
Another one the goes along the disturbing effect is I spit on your grave, ouch!
C.H., I wasn't impressed with it. Didn't even make me turn away (this is the one with the African American guy walking the beach killing and raping people right!?)
My .02
Rhett

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Two words:
The Changeling
I was alone the first time I saw it. I didn't fall asleep until the sun came up...no joke. It was even on regular tv with commercials. Thank God for those commercials.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Just watched The Thing the other night and it had a few sacary parts. Nothing to give nightmares but I enjoyed it.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator
My top 5 all time greatest horror films are (in no order):
Suspiria
The Exorcist
The Shining
Dawn of the Dead
Texas ChainSaw Massacure
Best B movies:
All Evil Dead films!
Braindead (a.k.a. Dead-Alive)
Night of the lving Dead ( I don't really think this is B, just don't have anywhere to put it on.)
Anything by Argento (tenebre, inferno, phenomena, DEEP RED ROCKS!!)
Zombie
Beyond
Other Fulci
Let Sleeping corpses Lie
Maniac
I think Clockwork Orange is really scary! I'm a huge horror fan and I know I'm forgetting alot. But it's late and I wanted to add my 2 cents.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Rolando,
Come on, give us some updates! Did you enjoy Black Christmas? What about the other choices we mentioned?
Lannie,
Just watched Begotten tonight at my college Film Club's Horror Film Festival. You were right. I don't think it had a gaffer. Or a screenwriter. Or a director really for that matter. Frankly, not much of a movie. Eraserhead (which it desperately tries to emulate) was much better.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Event Horizon or Candyman. Candyman is now only $10 at most B&Ms. Event Horizon is just f***ing terrifing, especially if you slow-mo some scenes.
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe I don't see more votes for
The Sixth Sense
Bar NONE the scariest movie I've ever seen. The scene where he is taking a piss in the morning....holy crap. I couldn't even watch it after I saw it the first time.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Hell Night
Suspiria
Nonhosonno (Argento back in fine form, it's only available in an Italian PAL release so far, but is awesome quality with a cranking dts track!)
The Entity
Maniac
Black Christmas
The Boogeyman
Tenebre
Inferno
Deadly Blessing

Dan Reardon

Auditioning
Maybe not really scary, but good horror DVDs:
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (original: Elite)
SUSPIRIA
ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES/RISES AGAIN
REANIMATOR
SCARS OF DRACULA
TOWER OF EVIL
CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD
THE BEYOND
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE
BLACK SUNDAY

Michael Barry

Auditioning
'Thesis', from the director of 'The Others', is great, although the DVD is a sub-standards transfer. A pity, because it's very tense and creepy.
The movie that has creeped me out more than any other in recent years is 'A Stir Of Echoes'. Turn out the lights, turn up the magnificent 5.1 soundtrack, and if you are still in one piece afterwards, well...
It contains at least one or two GUARANTEED jump-out-of-your-skin moments. :)

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Event Horizon.
This goes down as the movie that most freaked me out when I first saw it. Saw it during a matinee on a bright sunny afternoon, and left the theater jumping at my own shadow.
In the Mouth of Madness is good, too.
And they both star Sam Neill...interesting. :)
Greg
(my *first* post!)

Ben_Hu

Agent
I just watched the Exorcist III, and I must have missed the extremely scary out of focus shot that has been mentioned several times. I guess I just wasn't paying attention hard enough. Can someone tell me exactly when and where this scene takes place so that I can go back and view it. Thanks.

Martin G

Second Unit
I will also cast my vote for Event Horizons.

I would also recommend the Vincent Price versions of many of Poe's short stories.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all!
There is 1 scene in the '79 Frank Langella Dracula when Van Helsing (Olivier)meets his daughter in the coalmine under the graveyard. If you have seen this, you know what I mean.
For me was possibly the creepiest thing I have EVER seen.
Right up there w/ the best from anything. Movie was good, but MAN, that 1 SCENE!!!!!
Also, 1st 10 minutes of The Hitcher and 1st 20 of Jeepers Creepers are pretty intense.
:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks