What's new

Scariest, Spookiest, will have nightmares for a week DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Hensley

Auditioning
Robert Wise's The Haunting--my absolute fave. Has one scene in particular that gets me every time :)
The first half of Prince of Darkness is a pretty high pucker-factor also. Modern science discovers evil...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I would second the nominations for The Vanishing, Diabolique, and Night of the Living Dead. Interestingly enough, all three of these have been remade. The remakes should be avoided at all costs except for the Tom Savini-directed NotLD remake which is fun if you already know the original, but is certainly no substitute. It has a kinda-fun variation on the ending of the original.
The original The Vanishing is an Image title, the original Diabolique is from Criterion, and the only version of the original NotLD worth owning is from Elite. The NotLD re-make is from Columbia. The Anchor Bay NotLD "Special Edition" is an abomination.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Brian De Palma's wonderful Sisters!
------------------
"Here lies Ash Buchanan, protected by the Ejaculation of Serpents" - coming to DVD on 21st August 2001

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Well, since I obviously never tire of saying 'me too!', let me shout-out a 'me too!' for The Haunting. Definitely one of the creepiest, most dread inspiring movies I've ever seen.
Unfortunately, not available on DVD...
angry.gif

James D S

Screenwriter
The Changeling always did it for me. That's the one I initiate my friends with. I'm surprised at how many people don't know this little gem. The HBO disc blows, but the movie is excellant! Very eeeeeerie...
"my medal.... no daddy.... pleeease...."

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's a handful that I think are truly scary, albeit for various different reasons:
Alien
The Thing
The Changeling
The Lady in White
The Exorcist
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Blair Witch Project
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one)
Asylum
The Fly (the Cronenberg one)
The Evil Dead
Pet Sematary
Mute Witness
(Good call on whoever mentioned Event Horizon! Very creepy.)
------------------
Scott from Philly

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Changeling, The Lady in White, The Innocents, and The Uninvited are all pretty good choices. I disagree that HBO's The Changeling is a bad disc, though. It has no extras, but I don't think every movie needs them. I found the picture quality to be acceptable. The reviewer over at the Digital Bits disagrees, though. :)

Greg's list is good. I'd like to add:
Dead Ringers - I still can't watch it again.
Aliens
Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari (1920)
The Thing (both versions)
Pleasant dreams...

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
quote:I thought I had seen it all until I checked out (don't laugh) "Final Destination" last year.
Don't worry Jamie, I'm not laughing. This movie really made me uneasy. It was...unsettling to say the least.
Me and my friend saw it opening night with ZERO expectations. We came out of there completely messed up. Every car that drove by that was going even remotely fast scared the shit out of us. Maybe it was because I'm also about to go on a graduation trip with most of my class, and that a lot of the characters have analogs in my own life.
At the very least give it a good honest chance, it just might surprise you
wink.gif

------------------
I am Jack's Signature
"I find the most erotic part of a woman is the boobies..."

Scott Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I must agree about "Ring". I watched a bootleg of a VCD. The quality was not good, but the film was far above expectations (and I had high ones). It does start slow, but by the end you are completely freaked out (you will never be prepared for the climax). If only it could be released here on DVD; instead of being remade by Dreamworks. Highly Recommended!

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks a lot guys!
That should help. I already have Texas Chainsaw and it is disturbing. Also have and agree with Price of Darkness, Mouth of madness, poltergeist, thing, and a few other like phantasm.
Changeling though had not heard of it. is available widescreen anamorphic? will it be? What about RING??? I had heard great things about it. will it ever come here? is it on DVD anywhere? what about LD?
What about Black Christmas?
did rent anatomy before this post and is on to buy list.
thanks again!

Julie K

Screenwriter
The most disturbing movie I've ever seen is:
Trekkies
I still have nightmares.
------------------
"You scientist guys got no backbone. I got backbone. Matter of fact, when I was born I had a tail and that's just more backbone except that it's furry."

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
I also vote for Event Horizon. Especially if you put the film in slow mo on the video playback scenes. Some very twisted and sick stuff that ordinarly you would not have seen. I'm surprised they got by with an R rating on that.

Jeff Gibbons

Agent
Rolando,
Changeling is in fact available on DVD and is widescreen anamorphic. It's really creepy and I think it's exactly what you're looking for.
Jeff

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Rolando,
Black Christmas is available in Canada, so you should have no trouble finding it. If you can't find it in stores, it's usually available new on eBay.
It's presented full screen, but that's the way the film was shot. Mattes were applied during its theatrical release (and on the laserdisc, I believe), but they aren't here. The picture quality is generally good--probably better than it's looked since its theatrical release, though I haven't seen the laser. Extras are lacking, but the movie makes up for it.
For more on this release, search on Black Christmas over at the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback forum. There was a recent thread about this.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
These have already been mentioned, but I agree with them:
Black Christmas
The House on Haunted Hill
Cannibal Holocaust
BC is very creepy, all the way up until the end.
House was surprisingly gory, and the scenes from the "hypnosis chamber" and the nuthiuse scenes in the beginning freaked me out.
CH is just very disturbing.
My all time scariest movie though is "Silence of the lambs".
/Mike

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator
Good one, Donnie!
Unfortunately, it's not yet available on DVD, but one of the "jumpiest" films of the modern era is "Wait Until Dark." It came out when I was in college, and, after having seen it, I bet a super-macho type friend that he couldn't sit through it without jumping in his seat. He took the bet -- and lost! I really would love to see this wonderful Audrey Hepburn film on DVD.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
If the numerous recommendations for "The Changeling" weren't enough, here's one more. Without a doubt the best haunted house movie ever made, and this is the sort of film that has a lingering effect -- not just flinching at gore for a half-second. This is without a doubt one of my favorite movies of all time, and I can't recommend it enough. I was pleased with the transfer, but not blown away. It has some light grain and a few soft spots, but the worst moments occur very early on, particularly during the title sequence. It's not an extraordinary DVD by any means, but I wouldn't say it "blows".
I love "The Brood", and it's a shame it's not out on DVD yet. Even more of a shame is that New Concorde will be the company releasing it on DVD when the time comes.
frown.gif

I don't know if I'd consider this horror, but if you're a fan of Argento's giallos, you should pick up the anime "Perfect Blue".
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks