What's new

Say, Universal...can we please have DOUBLE INDEMNITY back out here? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
...Along with a bunch of your other noir titles? The Image edition looked terrible - this is a film that must be done right, and in so doing you will be rewarded with many sales!

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'll second that. This is a major movie classic, one of Billy Wilder's greatest achievements, and it needs to be done right on DVD.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Universal--I second/third/fourth the motion for Double Indemnity. Then get to a whole range of titles from the Marx Brothers to W.C. Fields to Preston Sturges and Mitch Leisen and Cecil B. DeMille. All the Mae West titles/Deanna Durbin/Claudette Colbert/Gary Cooper and Ray Milland. What a wealth you have. Warner is doing it. Fox is doing it. Now it's time for Universal to do it. BRING ON THE CLASSICS !

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This not only deserves a DVD release but also special edition status. Criterion would happily release this for you Universal.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I suspect Universal's announcement of 'Double Indemnity' indicates just a simple re-packaging on their own label. They've done similar reissues with 'Midnight Run' and 'Mad Dog And Glory', and 'Slaughterhouse Five' is due shortly. All these are Universal titles that were originally released by Image under a licensing agreement.

I would be very surprised if 'Double Indemnity' has been remastered.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
UCLA apparently had the nitrate fine-grain master-positive (which I assume was made off the negative) for the film. It was loaned to them from Universal to make a new safety dupe negative.

There's a lot of variables, but a fine-grain positive ought to have very fine photographic quality, even with some print damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks