What's new

Say it isn't so...Eddie Murphy as the riddler in next Batman? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I've probably been awake too long but, I thought I'd find that more amusing in German.

"yeah und während an es zurück holen, jenes entspricht Nippel enchanced Hieb… NICHT"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, they were, but with one difference: a LOT of people thought Batman Returns was too dark and off-putting, while exceedingly few feel that way about Dark Knight. BR represented a drop-off in popularity after Batman, while DK made more than 2.5 times what Begins earned. Somehow I don't think the suits at WB will feel like they need to lighten the series' tone...

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
It amuses me that people still buy into bogus casting rumors for movies all the time, even though it's so blatantly obvious that it would never happen. Lesser known names are more plausible, character actors (not "movie stars" are more plausible, but when you see Eddie Murphy and Shia The Beef the idea that people actually believe that is funny because it's so sad that some really are that gullible.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Isn't that pretty much what everyone said about Heath Ledger when he was first announced as the Joker?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
True, but hadn't a director been assigned for the film and some sort of script was made? As far as I know, neither of those have been done yet.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Exactly! Eddie will fit right in with the rest of the cast! They can't go all dark in the 3rd film, it's should be light "Return Of The Jedi" and end lighter and more hopeful. Eddie should bring the right amount of balance. I hope it's true!

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I am 110% sure it is NOT true. Actually, take it as a fact that this is complete bullshit. Nolan hasn't even begun anything discussion wise with the studio. The first piece of REAL casting news won't be till late next year.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Really? I thought everyone was on board for the third film with Eckhard saying it sounded like Dent was dead and Warners was all excited to move forward. Such a missed opportunity of inspired casting if this doesn't happen

:frowning:

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
WB now finds itself in a situation where they want to avoid the dreaded third film "curse" that occurs in most film franchises. Developing TDK, Christopher Nolan wisely immersed himself in film sequels to see which ones worked and, more importantly, why they worked. He also looked at ones that failed, which were many.

He'll more than likely do the same as he develops film #3. He'll look at third films that were universally praised (which is a very short list) compared to the ones that flat out didn't work (a very long list). WB, Nolan, and co. really want to avoid what happened with Sony and "Spider-Man 3". A movie that was simply micro-managed to death.

While WB has every intention of making another Batman movie, they are wisely allowing Nolan the time to develop the best story possible. They gave Nolan free reign on TDK and it turned into the biggest hit the studio has ever had. With film #3, Nolan will once again have more freedom, but also a blank check to work with.

2011 will be the earliest the movie will hit theaters so don't expect official casting to begin until sometime next year. The studio won't press the issue until they have a firm idea of what the story is going to be for the new movie and which characters Nolan intends on using. The general consensus is Riddler and Catwoman, but it'll be a while before anything official is announced. Plus, Nolan may opt to use other villains. Given the massive success of TDK, there are going to be all sorts of wild rumors floating around until official casting decisions are made public.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

A very short list indeed haha. I can only think of LOTR: Return of the King (could be argued that it is part of one long story already written), Goldfinger and Bourne Ultimatum at this point. Return of the Jedi as well as Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade I guess could be argued. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban but that was based on a book and wasn't forming a trilogy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
But it's still no Jaws III.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Sequel and second sequel ratings at Rotten Tomatoes...

TOP SEQUELS (100%-70%)
(second films)
“The Road Warrior” (1981) 100%
“Aliens” (1986) 100%
“Terminator 2: Judgment Day” (1991) 100%
“Toy Story 2” (1999) 100%
“The Godfather Part II” (1974) 98%
“From Russia with Love” (1963) 97%
“The Empire Strikes Back” (1980) 97%
“The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers” (2002) 96%
“Before Sunset” (2004) 94%
“The Dark Knight” (2008) 94%
“Spider-Man 2 (2004) 93%
“Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” (1982) 92%
“Star Trek: First Contact” (1996) 91% ('Next Generation' cast's second Trek adventure)
“Shrek 2” (2004) 89%
“Superman II” (1981) 87%
“X2: X-Men United” (2003) 87%
“Hellboy II: The Golden Army” (2008) 87%
“Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” (1984) 84%
“Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” (2002) 82%
“Lethal Weapon 2” (1989) 81%
“Batman Returns” (1992) 81%
“The Bourne Supremacy” (2004) 81%
“Magnum Force” (1973) 79%
“The Matrix Reloaded” (2003) 73%
“License to Kill” (1989) 72% (Timothy Dalton's second outing as Bond)

TOP SECOND SEQUELS (100%-70%)
(third films)
“Goldfinger” (1964) 96%
“The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” (2003) 94%
"The Bourne Ultimatum" (2007) 93%
“Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” (1989) 89%
“Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” (2004) 89%
“Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome” (1985) 81%
“Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith” (2005) 79%
“The Enforcer” (1976) 78%
“Star Trek III: The Search for Spock” (1984) 77%
“Return of the Jedi” (1983) 75%
“Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines” (2003) 70%
“Mission: Impossible III” (2004) 70%
“Ocean’s Thirteen” (2007) 70%

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Neat list Terry. that said, you could cast Richard Simmons as the Riddler and it would be a better film then that POS Search For Spock!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks