What's new

Saw 2 (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
USAToday.com is reporting that the first weekend take is $30.5M! That's more than HALF of what the first did in its entire run. I'd pencil in the premiere for Saw 3 for Oct. 27, 2006...

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I've read a lot of reviews of the first Saw and the one consistant flaw that is brought up is the acting.

I don't really see where Saw has any deficiency in it's acting, just because it was filmed in 18 days. You really have to push the actors and crew to try and get your best effort quickly, which is very evident on the most recent DVD release of Saw. The film makers stress the hurried job of this film shoot. I thought the acting in that film as well as Saw II were well done given the rushed production time.

Saw II has a lot more slight of hand maneuvers this time around, you almost have to see it again just to catch everything. I almost wish at the end they didn't try to sum up all the different pieces, which then leaves it up to the viewer to put those pieces together themselves.

Can't wait for Saw III

Paul

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think the acting was bad either, and that Donnie Wahlberg was actually quite good. The victims in the house were adequate enough for a film like this, in a situation such as this. We don't necessarily need Sir Anthony Hopkins in there.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I honestly thought that Saw was one of the best movies of 2004, which is why I found Saw 2 so ultimately disappointing.

Without giving away any spoilers, I must say the movie set up many questions that just never got answered.

Leaving the theater I couldn't help feeling that there are 20 minutes of deleted scenes sitting on a cutting room floor somewhere that were cut to keep this movie on time. A little more character development and a little less gore would have helped this movie a lot more.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Mark,

I hate to ask, but would you be able to elaborate a bit since you have my curiousity going as to what questions needed answered.

I thought this movie was just as entertaining as the original, and I agree that the acting was better this time around.

James T

Screenwriter
I saw it and was a bit dissappointed. Before I saw the movie, I told my friends That since Jigsaw is dying of Cancer, the girl from the first movie is going to end up being the killer in this movie as part of the twist. My explanation was that she was so grateful for her second chance after the events in the first movie, that there is no way she would allow herself to be put in a similar situation.

And I did not fint this movie scary at all. It was plenty gory, but there was no tension or any feeling of impending doom.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,

In response to your question: To me, the following questions were left unanswered:

1) What was the "over the rainbow" clue about ? Like many others, I think it had to do with Roy G. Biv, but it was never explained; 2) When Wahlberg was walking into the room with the door in the floor, why was there an antidote syringe on the floor, we never saw anyone with a syringe in their possesion; 3) When the the junkie girl died in the "chinese box", there was a tape hanging on the box....who was it addressed to ? What was that trap about other than a chance to squeeze in another trap really quickly; Did everyone have a tape/trap ?4) Other than the fact that she was in jail, why was the blonde girl in the house ?She had almost NO character development; 5) Why did OBI never attempt to turn the handle inside the oven ?

Then there were problems that I had with the plot....such as:

1)How could they be sure Amanda wouldn't get killed by any of the other participants at any point along the way; 2) Basically there were three traps and a guy who whacked the rest of the participants, to me that made the movie part Saw and part Friday the 13th; 3) Why didn't they pull Obi's body out of the oven and try to reach the antidote; 3) How could the house be connected to the room in Saw 1, when it appeared to me that the room in Saw 1 was definitely in an industrial district?

I freely admit that I am totally overanalyzing a "popcorn movie", but I just left the theater with a sense of great disappointment over this sequel. I hope that they make a Saw 3, but stay closer to the original than the sequel.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Thanks for responding, Mark. I admit that I didn't put as much thought into the questions you raised (meaning, I didn't consider those while watching the movie).

I will try to respond back to you after I have a chance to reflect back on the movie, and keep in mind your questions.

To kind of start things off, though

I think most of the traps, and participants demise were a tool used to help drive Wahlberg's character over the edge (in regards to saving his son). For example, your second question about the syringe on the floor. Could it have been left there on purpose to give Wahlberg's character a sense that his son may be alright? We do know that the events that took place in the house happened some time prior to that evening (replaying videotape). Wahlberg's rushed judgements actually helped Jigsaw escape from authorities.

In regards to envelopes taped to traps, could it be because they wanted to make sure that the son was (for the most part) out of harm's way (at least until his identity was revealed)

One more to answer (possible explanation) for now. In regards to OBI, and the antidote that he had I just assumed that it was toasted along with the rest of his body still inside the trap (as far as I remember, I don't recall anyone being able to turn off the "trap" (fire). I don't have an explanation as to why he didn't turn the knob, but I was assuming that he was aware of Jigsaw and the possibility that he would only speed up his demise if he did turn the knob. His complete connection with Jigsaw was not fully explained, only that he helped Jigsaw

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Saw the sequel last night and enjoyed it more than the first (and I dug the first one.) I liked the twists, liked how it tied in with the first. My only gripe was with making the surviving chick from the first film as Jigsaw's heir-apparent. When her voice popped up on the tape at the end, I almost expected to hear "Denny's restaurant, how can I help you?"

Other than that, I enjoyed the experience and look forward to the DVD.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Here are some of my answers/comments to the questions/issues:

1)How could they be sure Amanda wouldn't get killed by any of the other participants at any point along the way?

A) I think this was part of Amanda's test. Jigsaw wanted to see if she could survive it and keep Daniel from dying. If she did then she was worthy.

2) Basically there were three traps and a guy who whacked the rest of the participants, to me that made the movie part Saw and part Friday the 13th.

A) I think there were more than three traps. They just didn't get to them all. The victims all self destructed way too fast. Maybe Jigsaw thought they would last long enough to get to them all. I guess not.

3) Why didn't they pull Obi's body out of the oven and try to reach the antidote. Why didn't Obi turn the valve?

A) The antidote was surely burned up by then. As with the valve, I do believe it was on the other side of the flame. Obi would have had to reach over the fire and turn it, severely burning himself. He was too much of a coward to do it so he died. Kind of like how the guy in the begining of the movie was too scared to cut his eye to get the key.

4) How could the house be connected to the room in Saw 1, when it appeared to me that the room in Saw 1 was definitely in an industrial district?

A) A couple possible things... Maybe Jigsaw is wealthy and build the house from scratch? Coverted a warehouse into a normal looking house? I don't think the Saw 1 room was directly underneath the house. They had to run through some tunnels first. So basically... Who knows.

5) What was the "over the rainbow" clue about? Like many others, I think it had to do with Roy G. Biv, but it was never explained

A) I don't think it matters. They never opened the safe anyway. Maybe there would be more clues in later rooms if they survived longer. I consider this whole thing to be a MacGuffin. It wasn't meant to be fully explained.

6) When Wahlberg was walking into the room with the door in the floor, why was there an antidote syringe on the floor, we never saw anyone with a syringe in their possesion.

A) I don't recall seeing an antidote syringe on the floor. If there is a syringe, maybe Amanda used one to cure herself and the boy? There was some time after the events of the house and before the detective arrives there. She surely would have time to get one.

7) When the the junkie girl died in the "chinese box", there was a tape hanging on the box....who was it addressed to ? What was that trap about other than a chance to squeeze in another trap really quickly; Did everyone have a tape/trap.

A) Yeah, probably everybody did have a tape/trap. Like I said before, they just never got to the other traps because they all died before they could. As who was the tape addressed too... I don't think it matters. I laughed when she took the tape, glanced at it and tossed it away. I guess we'll never know what it said.

8) Other than the fact that she was in jail, why was the blonde girl in the house? She had almost NO character development.

A) Yeah her character didn't have much of a point. I guess they needed a character to die from the gas to show the audience it was real?

Yes, this movie leaves a lot of unanswered questions but I think that's part of the fun. I like trying to figure out certain things.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Michael....and/or moderator....can someone please add spoiler tags to Michael's post for those who haven't seen the movie.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

In response to your answers, while I find them all plausible, as a filmgoer I don't find them satisfying.In essence, they are your guesses on what was happening. I shouldn't have to guess. The filmmaker is supposed to give you enough information that you can fill in the blanks without having questions.

There is a difference between clever writing and loopholes.

For instance, in The Sixth Sense, The Village and even Saw, there were "twist" endings, but if you rewatch the film, all the clues were present.

Here, to say....That didn't matter because of XYZ or There must have been other traps/tapes but they didn't get to them...doesn't work for me.....That is the equivalent of saying "Darth Vader had a 3rd sibling, but we never got around to seeing him on screen because we were too busy with other things" It was a movie, I only know the information in front of me. If it is not on the screen or at least alluded to, it didn't exist.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
could the safe inside the house be the same safe that the son appeared alive in later? I can't remember if the safe was still in the room when Donnie Wahlberg was going through the house??

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I see what you're saying Mark, but in the case of Saw 2 it really doesn't bother me if some things are left up to the imagination. I don't mind if some parts of this movie end up being ambigious as long as I can make plausible guesses. Since all my guesses are plausible then I'm satisfied with that. I still think the movie works even with the unanswered questions. After all, it's just a silly B movie. It's probably for the best that we don't rip it completely apart and just take it for face value.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Paul,

That is what I thought. I have to see the very end again to verify.

Mark,

I agree with Jesse in that I see what you are saying, but the one thing that I keep thinking about is

The whole story was based around Wahlberg's character. In other words, it was his "trap" or "game" that was being played. Everything else were props to his game. The whole reason why everyone was trapped in the house was to get to Wahlberg's character. While trying to understand everything that was going on within the house means nothing when looking at the whole picture.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
It is done as a courtesy to those who haven't seen the movie and may be viewing this thread in order to gather information to help them decide if they want to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks