What's new

Saving Private Ryan Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well until the 2-Disc SE (DTS) version is available by itself, I will not be upgrading this title. Speilberg's SE have been "very light" in terms of extras in comparison to others. I know some people say its the quality, not the quantity. But in this case as well as Schindler's List, there is no way you can tell me a comprehensive SE couldn't have been made, ala Blackhawk Down, where you include documentaries/commentaries from soldiers/survivors. If any title deserves a 3 or 4 disc SE it would be SPR. This is all in my opinion , of course.

Chris

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Personally, I think it's a shame they didn't remaster this DVD for re-release. The first DVD was released 4 and half years ago and a lot has happened since then (compression wise). This re-release would have been an excellent way to correct the mistakes of the previous DVD. The edge enhancement is truely awful in a lot of places. The DTS track, as noted, is superb though. That's all I want really... and maybe for Charlie de Lauzirika to produce the DVD ala Black Hawk Down ;)

There really isn't any excuse for Dreamworks NOT to remaster the transfer, especially since the first release was released so long ago. It's all about taking the existing master and re - encode it. CTHV does this all the time. :D

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Personally, I think it's a shame they didn't remaster this DVD for re-release. The first DVD was released 4 and half years ago and a lot has happened since then (compression wise). This re-release would have been an excellent way to correct the mistakes of the previous DVD. The edge enhancement is truly awful in a lot of places. The DTS track, as noted, is superb though. That's all I want really... and maybe for Charlie de Lauzirika to produce the DVD ala Black Hawk Down ;)

There really isn't any excuse for Dreamworks NOT to remaster the transfer, especially since the first release was released so long ago. It's all about taking the existing master and re - encode it. CTHV does this all the time. :D

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator

But wait. It doesn't. The studio ISN'T realizing potential sales from our Spanish market, but instead realizing potential sales from a minority so small that we might as well put a Klingon 5.1 as well.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Well then, if that's the case, why is everybody bitching about this new version? Yes, it's been *years* since the initial releases of SPR - and everybody's still complaining. Poor Dreamworks - there's just no satisfying everyone.

In regards to the rerelease, why are people surprised? There's been rereleases up the ying yang of so many movies now, what makes SPR so special that it wouldn't have gotten a rerelease (and one that doesn't have DTS - not surpising, really).

As for the current DTS version, I've seen it available in lots of places (sometimes really cheap too) - so it's available, if you look around.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If there was no $19.99 version, people would happily pay the $35 Circuit City is charging for the 4-disc version. I don't know how anyone can pass the 4-disc set up at that price. The DTS is just the icing on the cake.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Because they're forcing buyers to get the more expensive one to have DTS - there's no reason it couldn't have been on both.

Mikko-Ville

Stunt Coordinator
Just received the 4-disc set today from DVDSoon. All of this has propably already been said but no french audio track on any of the discs and SPR doesn't even have french subtitles.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's the way I see it too. They're providing a "Cheaper" alternative, yet people STILL aren't happy and want them to bend over even further by recreating another 2 disc version :rolleyes

We should be glad they are allowing a choice of a cheaper version. This is what most threads are about here...choice. Even though the 2 disc set is not the version YOU want, I think you should be more appreciative of the effort being put forth and not being selfish by bashing the studio for this decision.

Sounds a lot like biting the hand that feeds you. For all the times I hear people complain about wanting a DTS track and the bashing people do when a studio doesn't supply one, I thought there'd be more applause for the fact that they ARE releasing the DTS version again.

And for those who still think there is some evil plot by the studios to "force" you into buying the higher priced set to get the DTS, then this is where we agree to disagree. I see it as just paranoia...no need to imagine some evil plot aginst you. Just spend the $35 and be happy in getting "WHAT YOU WANT"...isn't that the bottom line? If price is your bottom line, then it's VERY unfair for you to be so violently complaining about DVD releases.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz

If the 4-disc version only had a DTS soundtrack and not a Dolby 5.1, I would have no choice but *not* to buy it, as I don't have a DTS enabled system at home. Buying the 4-disc isn't even an option for me, as I'm not going to pay $35+ for a movie I can't listen to.

Manus

Second Unit
As somebody pointed out earlier , isn't it ridiculous that someone as successful/gifted as Spielberg should continuously p*ss off his biggest fans with mixups and last-minute alterations to his release. I bought the 4-discer mainly for the extras ( tho a video remaster would have been nice too ).
Look at the 'Jaws' release. One disc and half the documentary from the Laserdisc left on the cutting room floor , and seperate dts and Dolby releases.
Didn't he also want Indiana Jones released one film at a time ? How ironic that Lucas insisted and won out and now he won't give the original Star Wars that made him his wealth and gave us memories to cherish forever ( if a really good bootleg of those becomes available , George, then for the first time ever , I'm in !)

One last point , those who have been telling the rest of us how superior dts is without producing any evidence other than personal preference can hardly be surprised if studios elect to charge more for 'Premium. product. Check out cdjapan.jp to see all the dts versions not (immediately) available anywhere else. Also check out how much they are charging for them.

Regards,
Manus

CraigL

Screenwriter
Japanese DVD's have NOTHING to do with pricing for DTS titles. ALL Japanese titles are more expensive. And if you're talking about the Superbit titles, well, they're more expensive here too.

Also, Japan isn't the only place with DTS exclusives.

Your theory is shot down.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I agree. But the 4-discer's docus do sound interesting, no? But from the absence of the Academy Award-winning mono audio on Jaws; to Universal doing Ultimate Editions of Patch Adams and Meet Joe Black but not JP; to Steven's silence on the DTS JP DVD vs. LD LFE controversy; to the DTS and packaging E.T. controversies; to the arguably overpriced (but then reduced), pretentiously packaged, under-supplemented Schindler box; to the repeated delays of Duel; to the underwhelming Indy presentation after years of blue balling delays (I wonder if they'll eventually be available separately a la the first Godfather pics?) . . . I long ago made at least some peace with the fact that Steven is just not down for the DVD count the way many other filmmakers are and the way many of us would like him to be.

-p

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

While I can see how you came to such a conclusion. I will never allow myself to become a slave to the DVD studio who will try to rip me off with some half assed DVD special edition. God forbid I should start thanking the studios for even releasing a DVD.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Has anyone done a careful A-B of the 4 disc DTS movie disc vs. the old DTS Limited Edition DVD?

I've taken a look at the data file, and it looks pretty hefty: layers 1 and 2 have approx. 1 hr 25 min of the film (3.7 GB each, making the feature 7.4 GB - excluding menu, etc.).

I have the old DD 5.1 disc, so I will try to do a comparison.

Cheers,

Manus

Second Unit
"Japanese DVD's have NOTHING to do with pricing for DTS titles. ALL Japanese titles are more expensive. And if you're talking about the Superbit titles, well, they're more expensive here too."

I would remind you that dts is a niche interest that is not required on official Dvd Forum sanctioned discs.If you recall when dvds first started appearing, dts only versions were always more expensive and contained fewer extras than their Dolby versions.

The point I was making was that they were making a tidy profit for feeding 'dts junkies' precisely what they want even if that meant fewer/no extras and even if the differences between the Dolby and dts versions from a quality standpoint were minimal.

Van Ling once asked would the public's preference be for 2 soundtracks ( Dolby+dts) or more extras/commentaries. Imagine the furore if the studios decided to save more money by squeezing a pan'n'scam version onto each disc along with these 2 tracks ?

As for Superbits, they are not all created equal either as anyone who shops at koreandvds.com would tell you.Again, they're very existence feeds on the belief that we need to satisfy both camps ie. that one good well-mixed track would never suffice.

I would gladly admit to being one who,in my innocence,at the dawn of Dvd, thought that they would all be 'Superbits' in that they would have fabulous sound (of whatever format flavour) and fabulous picture. Alas,that is not always the case.

Manus

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Are you TRULY/HONESTLY this upset about the DVD market? Can you not appreciate it for what it is? DVD's are great! We have such a wide variety and TONS of titles come out all the time! IMHO, the studios ARE trying to please us a humanly as possible, unfortunately, there are those out there who you just can't please no matter what you do. Even if there was a 2 disc set with DTS, I'm sure there'd be other complaints. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks