What's new

Saving Private Ryan Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Justin, I got it from DVDAnswers.com. I trust their articles when it comes to DVD picture, sound, quality, content. There you go.:D:emoji_thumbsup:

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator

It is very clear that the one sold by itself will be with Dolby 5.1 English and French while the one in the box set is with English 5.1 DTS and Dolby Surround.

You got served.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

But you don't trust the opinions of those who actually have the DVD and confirm it doesn't have a DTS track? Seems sensible:rolleyes:I, too, have it in my hands now, and there is NO DTS track.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

I apologize if it seemed as if I was rubbing it in. I was just trying to clarify. Fortunately--for me, at least--print folks often tend to get priority, especially with certain companies, DreamWorks among them. I can certainly understand the frustration of not getting equal treatment.

And you're not a loser. You do fine work, Colin. Others obviously don't appreciate it the way that many of us here do. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

No apology necessary - I was just having some fun with my second-class citizen status! Just be sure to wave at us Internet peons as the PR people carry you by on your golden throne... ;)

GregBe

Second Unit
PaulP,

This is one movie you may want to care about DTS for. It is a different mix than the DD DVD. Most DVD comparisons between DTS and DD are subjective and point to subtle sound qualities, but this one is completely different. Do a search on some old threads and you will find that 99% of people that have heard both prefer the DTS track by a long shot. I am not saying the DD mix is a bad one (it is still one of the best out there), but in my opinion the DTS is incredible.

Greg

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Being a Speilberg movie I'm sure it's safe to assume there is no commentary? That's the only reason I'd upgrade from the previous DTS version.

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't heard much about the supplements here.

Since I already have the DD version, the only benefit of for the 2-disk would be the supplements. I'm not willing to pay for the 4-disk just for DTS. I've heard that the DTS, while noticeably better, isn't dramatically so.

I have cancelled my pre-order.

It's a shame, though. I was happy to double-dip for the 2-disk if it had the DTS version.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Anyone planning to hold off on the 4 disc and hope it drops like the Gift Edition did for Schindler's List? I was shocked when that one basically reduced it's MSRP by 1/2 within a few weeks of release...

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Well great, and it just shipped yesterday - so now I can't cancel it. This is the worst double dip ever, all I wanted was the DTS track and now I'm stuck with the DD again.

Somebody should sue over those Audio Menu screenshots. This just PISSES me right off.

Why is it Speilberg movies are always giving fans the shaft unless they blow all their money on the over priced special editions. I say we launch a movement to have Dreamworks recreate the Discs with DTS.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
But you're still getting a whole new disc of extras. Nothing to get pissed off about. It's been known for a while, a few weeks at least, that there's no DTS.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm disappointed there's no DD 5.1 on the box set disc. I want those other doc's, and I don't have DTS on my HT. I know, it's sad that I am without DTS, but I really don't have the cash to buy a new HT in a box, not with all these movies coming out!
:b

Is the movie really such a space hog that they can't have both soundtracks on it? I thought that with the new DTS encoding, DTS wasn't so greedy anymore.

Still gonna buy the giftset though, the extra docs look great!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So, is the DTS version the same as the original DTS version? I have the DD and it sounds great so if most agree that the DTS is better, I'd upgrade to the better sound and to get the new extras, unless they suck. Then I'll look for a used DTS version.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

The original DTS release was one of the first, if not the first, with the hal bit-rate and it still required a seperate disc for a DTS reelase. The viusals are very complex and require a good amount of bit space for them.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator

I don't know. The LOTR EE are longer, have a lot more going on visually and sonically, yet manage to have DD5.1, DTS 5.1 and four commentary tracks. Surely, SPR could have added DTS to the 2-disc version.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The LOTR EE are also split between two discs each. They only have about 1hr 50min tops per disc of info, much less than the close to 3hr for Saving Private Ryan.

SPR was the first half bit rate DTS disc, and with all the fantic movement and stuff happening in this film, it is nightmarish to compress as well. I am not surprised that they were unable to fit both soundtracks on one disc, even with todays compression standards.

The only movie I can think of close to the same length with two soundtracks on it is the Superbit version of The Patriot with Mel Gibson. That film was about 2hr 40min or so, and it had both DD and DTS, but was nowhere near as frantic in imagry as SPR is.

I am curious about the extras on this new disc, but for now am more than happy with the DTS version I have owned for the last four years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks