What's new

Saving Private Ryan - Bluray (1 Viewer)

zonk

Agent
Real Name
tim bronkhurt
Just saw a posting for Saving Private Ryan - Bluray at AmazonUk, release date 4/26

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Hooray! Now, if they could only redo the soundtrack for home theaters, or at least re-EQ it so I don't have to apply additional processing...

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
It's up for pre-order at U.S. Amazon, but there's no release date.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Private-Ryan-Blu-ray-Damon/dp/B0035WTJBG/ref=amb_link_49429822_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=0ZGJ543GDRFW9BC6D7K5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=98051042&pf_rd_i=193640011

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally!

As soon as I know that Paramount hasn't screwed up the transfer this is a definite purchase.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I'm curious about the potential for a DNR screwup here with these Speilberg/Dreamworks titles. Minority Report, Saving Private Ryan and (eventually) A.I. all have that stylized grainy look. Imagine if someone tried to strip this all away? Oh dear.

Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Finally!

As soon as I know that Paramount hasn't screwed up the transfer this is a definite purchase.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I agree that Spielberg will insist it be done right, considering how he swears by film. Also, I hope that Gangs of New York and strong rumors of a Gladiator reissue are indications that studios are starting to get the message.

Although, I don't take the shrink wrap off without confirmation of a good transfer either.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Assuming of course that Spielberg *is* involved. Taking into account past DVD releases and the Close Encounters Blu-Ray set, I would say the chances are good that the pending BD releases will have his oversight.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

As a DreamWorks (Spielberg's current company) product, it would be shocking to not have his input.
I'm not sure its a DreamWorks product anymore. When Spielberg left Paramount, most of the DreamWorks films stayed there. I don't know if that applies to Spielberg directed films or not. The listing on Amazon says Paramount, and nothing about DreamWorks.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Saving Private Ryan was a Paramount/DreamWorks co-production. As part of the de-merger, Paramount may have retained North American distribution rights to those co-productions, or alternatively, they may hold video distribution rights for a certain period of time (much like MGM did with its pre-1987 product after Warner bought Turner Entertainment).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I'm not sure its a DreamWorks product anymore. When Spielberg left Paramount, most of the DreamWorks films stayed there. I don't know if that applies to Spielberg directed films or not. The listing on Amazon says Paramount, and nothing about DreamWorks.

Doug

While the picture does belong to Paramount, Amblin Entertainment, which is still owned by Spielberg, has a piece of the action and the film will have Mr. Spielberg's stamp of approval on it. He also has the same approval with his films that Universal has. That is one of the hold ups with those films making it to Blu-ray. I cannot wait to get my hands on a Blu-ray version on 1941, Jaws, Always, Schindler's List and Empire of the Sun.
Ryan will be buy, but not a blind buy.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H

Saving Private Ryan was a Paramount/DreamWorks co-production. As part of the de-merger, Paramount may have retained North American distribution rights to those co-productions, or alternatively, they may hold video distribution rights for a certain period of time (much like MGM did with its pre-1987 product after Warner bought Turner Entertainment).
Actually it wasn't a merger. Paramount bought DreamWorks for 1.6 billion dollars. However I found the information I was looking for about the DreamWorks library.

On March 17, 2006, Paramount agreed to sell a controlling interest in the DreamWorks live-action library (pre-09/16/2005; DW Funding, LLC) to Soros Strategic Partners and Dune Entertainment II The film library is valued at $900 million. Paramount retained the worldwide distribution rights to these films, as well as various ancillary rights, including music publishing, sequels, and merchandising—this includes films that had been made by Paramount and DreamWorks. The sale was completed on May 8, 2006
I assume this means that Ryan will be a Paramount release.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by ahollis

While the picture does belong to Paramount, Amblin Entertainment, which is still owned by Spielberg, has a piece of the action and the film will have Mr. Spielberg's stamp of approval on it. He also has the same approval with his films that Universal has. That is one of the hold ups with those films making it to Blu-ray. I cannot wait to get my hands on a Blu-ray version on 1941, Jaws, Always, Schindler's List and Empire of the Sun.

Ryan will be buy, but not a blind buy.
I'm not entirely sure that Amblin still holds any rights to Ryan or any of the other films it co-produced with DreamWorks and Paramount, but it’s possible.

My understanding is that Spielberg's deal with Universal means that he owns all the films he directed there after E.T., with Universal having a long term distribution deal. I'm sure however that even after not being able to make a deal with them for DreamWorks, they still have a cozy enough relationship that Universal wouldn't release Sugarland, Jaws or 1941 with out Spielberg's involvement. By the way Empire of the Sun is a co production with Warner Bros. not Universal.

I'm a huge 1941 fan and can't wait to get my hands on a blu-ray of that one.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks